Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thinking of using some work lights, any suggestions?

I am thinking of getting some of those cheap halogen work lights. I also was looking at LED lights

Among my thoughts for LED lights were these:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2398315-c-7546.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2404411-c-7914.htm

Also, I was thinking of these halogen with different bulbs:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2305264-c-7914.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2305284-c-7546.htm

Any thoughts on any of these and what sort of bulb I might use with them to give a better temperature of light for photo work?

Thanks.

12-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I wouldn't recommend the halogens, I tried in the past and wasn't really happy with the results.
The colour of the light is difficult to balance, but more to the point, the light is extremely harsh, with very little way to diffuse it (you can't put anything over the light to diffuse it, unless you want to start a fire)

The LED may be a better option, as it removed most of the heat, allowing an wasy way to diffuse the light.
In saying that, I haven't used LED light for anything more than lighting small items, it worked well then, not sure if that would translate to larger, brigther lights though
12-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I wouldn't recommend the halogens, I tried in the past and wasn't really happy with the results.
The colour of the light is difficult to balance, but more to the point, the light is extremely harsh, with very little way to diffuse it (you can't put anything over the light to diffuse it, unless you want to start a fire)

The LED may be a better option, as it removed most of the heat, allowing an wasy way to diffuse the light.
In saying that, I haven't used LED light for anything more than lighting small items, it worked well then, not sure if that would translate to larger, brigther lights though
I understand what you mean about the halogens, but there are different bulbs available:

Putting Together a Budget DIY Lighting System | Shuttertalk
12-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use a cheap Neweer LED and it works great, much better than expected. Daylight balanced, dimmable, light and portable, and, although not as much as a speedlight, fairly strong...

12-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Halogen lights are a bad idea. They are extremely hot and dangerous to work with. You cannot put any light modifiers in front as the fire risk is too high.

LEDs are a better choice. But standard studio strobes are still the best value unless you are doing video.
12-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just another echo for the LEDs and against the halogens. The halogens are just too hot and will burn out faster. And obviously you wont beat Menards on prices.
12-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So it sounds like consensus is for the LED lights. What temperature should I look for?

Thanks.
12-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
So it sounds like consensus is for the LED lights. What temperature should I look for?

Thanks.
It's my understanding that (most, just not sure if all) are calibrated to daylight.

12-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
It's my understanding that (most, just not sure if all) are calibrated to daylight.
So would that make them usable enough for studio still life work?

Thanks.
12-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5500 k is a good choice for temperature but as long as all light sources are the same it is easy to adjust in PP. But mixed lights make things harder.

Daylight is about 5500
12-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I am thinking of getting some of those cheap halogen work lights. I also was looking at LED lights

Among my thoughts for LED lights were these:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2398315-c-7546.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2404411-c-7914.htm

Also, I was thinking of these halogen with different bulbs:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2305264-c-7914.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2305284-c-7546.htm

Any thoughts on any of these and what sort of bulb I might use with them to give a better temperature of light for photo work?

Thanks.
Halogens are more powerful. However, they generate a lot of heat and eat up a lot of electricity. I opted for the LEDs. I bought six 700 lumen LEDs from Lowe's for only $20 each. One nice feature of these lights is that they come with a very long cord that allows you to plug them into your car's cigaret lighter. How cool is that! I don't know if there is any practical application for that. But if you shoot location stuff, this feature might come in handy.

I shoot the LEDs through umbrellas to soften the light. The problem is that you end up losing a lot of your power by the time the light hits the subject. Also to shape the light, you have to make your own snoots and home-made light shapers. I am using these for small area product shots. To make it work, I dial up the ISO and bring the shutter down on a tripod mounted camera. It is a cheap work around. The alternative is to buy very expensive LED panels, we are talking about hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
12-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

LEDs are definitely the best choice. They also can be dimmed using a PWM light dimmer available at most hardware stores now. color temperature remains basically the same, only the intensity is changed. With any other light source, When you change the intensity you change the color temperature. LEDs also stay cool, So you can put a Theatrical filter in front of the Light source, to produce different colors.

Note: The light is very bright. do not look at the light directly. always bounce it off a reflective surface. No exceptions.

also note, with a little bit of research and a Arduino, you could turn the LED lights into a very powerful flash/strobe. Recovery time would be instantaneous.
12-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
...make your own snoots...
Been thinking about this, but still haven't got to work. Thinking about card-box and black tape...

About the umbrella as a diffuser, have you tried to bounce it off it? Also, have you tried a soft-box? I have thought about umbrellas also, but I wondered how much power one would lose, although mine are pretty bright, I believe a soft-box would work better.

---------- Post added 12-20-14 at 11:28 AM ----------

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-Dimmable-Digital-Camcorder-Panasonic/dp/B004TJ6JH6

Dimmable, pretty powerful, orange filter, works with AA batteries, and it's very cheap...
12-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

If you're serious about your color, those are all a bad idea - particularly the LEDs. But if you're just playing around on a budget, they may be OK.

LEDs have a notoriously poor color spectrum/response - especially in low-cost, general purpose consumer lights. Halogens are much better, but even there it's preferable to have higher grade ones. And of course they have the potential heat problems others have mentioned.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But standard studio strobes are still the best value unless you are doing video.
Agreed - ultimately, strobes are the better value for serious work. But of course your costs to get started are significantly higher. I use these, which are the best value around, IMO Paul C. Buff - Einstein E640 although they also have a less expensive (and less powerful) entry model Paul C. Buff - AlienBees B400.
12-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, if money is not an issue, maybe you will like the Ice Light... Around $500/$600, but they are as accurate as they come... Designed by Mr Jerry Ghionis...