Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
bmw

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Magkelly (and everyone),

I checked out Sue Bryce on Youtube. It certainly looks like she does great stuff, but it looks like the level of what she talks about is too advanced for me. Any suggestions on which video to start with? I need help with posing and lighting for portraiture, especially posing. Thanks. If anyone has any other suggestions of videos on the subject, that would be appreciated.
Lindsay Adler's Posing 101 course from Creative Live is excellent. It may be more than you need, but it's thorough and very watchable. CL is having sales right now so you might be able to get the course cheaper. Note that Lindsay does not address lighting in this course, just posing.

12-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I found a manual for the sb26 on line as a pdf, so I can review it now and read it closer when I get the flash. Wish now I had paid for expedited shipping, I'm getting impatient!
12-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Flashes have their place but honestly I don't like the light they give and I try to avoid it unless I'm on the go and a flash is the only light I can tote. There are so many other ways to add light if you want. In the studio I use stationary lamps, reflectors, V flats, diffusion panels, so much more often than flash. A lot of people are big on strobes but I am not one of them. I like using natural light. Check out the work of Sue Bryce. She has a few videos online, some on You Tube, Creative Live. Watch what she can do with a window, a couple of reflectors, a small v-flat and a curtain. It's truly amazing. Learn to see and use your light. Don't just depend upon a flash to make up for not understanding it. That's the most important thing really. You learn to see and really use your light, then you don't necessarily need a bunch of electronics to get what you want.

This is an excellent book on the subject if you want to have a look...

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Available-Light-Techniques-Photographers/dp/16089...vailable+light

I liked it a lot.
Are reflectors "natural light"?
01-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all so very much for giving me some priceless pieces of information! The SB26 flash arrived this evening and it's awesome! It's much easier to use as a manual flash than the 540 is - since I spent a fair amount of time last week playing with the 540 and getting used to using it manually, the extra options and ease of use of the SB26 is very, very appreciated. If another one is available at the same price from keh next month, I might just have to buy another, I very much appreciate the fact that I don't have to push buttons each time I turn on the flash, just to get to manual mode.

I have a huge amount to learn about getting the most out of flash photography, but I'm now starting to get an idea of what could be possible, have a vague idea how to go about it and an inkling of just how much fun it is going to be learning about it all.

My first ever dual flash photo - taken about 10 minutes after I got the SB26. The more I look at it, the more I see things I did wrong and that I could do better, but I was really pleased since no thought went into the picture, just plopped the flashes down on convenient tables and pushed the shutter button on the camera. Need to pay attention to angles, ratios, background and foreground more, but at least it all WORKED! And while it's not great, it's a whole lot better than any of the flash photos I tried before I got the triggers.

Thank you all again, SO much!!

P.S. I do have a light stand and an umbrella coming Wednesday.