Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 06:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Powerpack shootout and IR assist help

Hi all,
Firstly hello, I'm new.

I've been playing around with the powerpacks for the Pentax flash (I have the Mk1 540) and the TR3 will recharge a fully expelled flash in 3 seconds and the JJC one despite being half the size it recharges in 1 second. So the recharge time is in line with the Canon CP-E4 battery packs on the cheaper and smaller JJC's.

But I have a question. I've been facing off the AF in low light situations and I'm finding that I need the IR assist on the flash but regardless if it's in manual, P-TTL or SB mode the ir light doesn't come on soon enough. Even in low light it won't come on. It has to be almost pitch black.

I know the new 540 has a led assist (which I hate) but also it doesn't have an external pack option so I'm stuck with the 540. Unless the Metz 58 is better, but I want to try and address the flash issue first.

Is there a setting or adjustment I can make on the flash or in camera (645z)?

Thanks!
Chris

01-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome and I am sorry, but I have no idea.
01-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If there is a setting, it must be in the camera; I'm quite sure that my dSLRs don't have the feature. After all, the camera tells the flash to 'fire' the AF assist.

I know what you're feeling; I also wished at times that AF assist kicks in earlier. A nice feature to have would be an ev setting so you can define at how much light the AF assist will kick in.

PS On a technical note, it's not IR It's just red light, IR is not visible
01-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Giles Quote
Is there a setting or adjustment I can make on the flash or in camera (645z)?
What AF mode are you using?

I found on my K-5 II the AF assist only activates in less than pitch-black levels if I set the AF mode to AF-S.