Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #1

Handy flash for Pentax?

Hi. I am looking for a compact, handy yet powerfull flash for Pentax - something like the Nikon SB-400 - propably one of the most convienient flashes around. Does Pentax or a thirdparty offer something like it?

01-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How compact? The Pentax AF 360 is pretty powerful & can both tilt and swivel:
Review: Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If that's too powerful, or if you don't need the swivel head, there's also the AF 200:
Review: Pentax AF200FG Flash - Review | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If you want something like the AF 360 but cheaper, check out the Metz 44:
Metz Mecablitz 44 - AF1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Metz mecablitz 44 AF-1 digital Flash for Pentax MZ 44317PS B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2015, 02:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know that the SB-400 is i-TTL, but if you could do without P-TTL and HSS, then there's the Yongnuo YN560.
It's a completely manual flash, the mkIII has an integrated receiver (for use with the 560TX or a mkIV) and the mkIV has both a receiver and a transmitter.
It's dirty cheap, but it's very well built and works like clockwork.
01-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The Pentax AF200FG is quite similar to the Nikon SB-400 in size and features. It does PTTL exposure, but does not have certain advanced features such as HSS and wireless operation. Check the reviews, it's right there. Unlike the Nikon, which typically sells upwards of $250 new/$150 used, it sells for $80 new. I got mine used for $30. You can't beat the great value and pocketable size.

There are some older Pentax flashes that work in manual mode with digitals that might serve too. The AF200T (tiny) or AF280T (tilts and swivels) are good.

Last edited by slowhands95128; 01-09-2015 at 06:44 PM. Reason: more suggested flashes