Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 05:24 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,314
AF500FTZ compatibility with Pentax 645

The original Pentax 645 (film) manual indicates full compatibility with flashes AF400T, AF280T, AF200T, and AF080C (macro flash). It does not mention the Pentax AF500FTZ, which is also a TTL unit. I would like to use the 500FTZ because of its bounce flash capability and because of its higher power for bounce flash.

Does anyone know for sure whether the AF500FTZ is fully compatible with the Pentax 645 film camera?

01-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 496
I'm pretty sure that the answer is no.

Auto Focus Pentax Flashes
01-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,440
Maybe... read here:

AF500FTZ
Pentax AF-500 FTZ Flash - Shutter Speed Override? - Photo.net Pentax Forum
Pentax AF-500FTZ Electronic Flash Reviews - PhotographyREVIEW.com

Not a lot of detail but all seem to say it works with one or another flavor of the 645; the exact model may matter. Read all of article two - it starts out in a way that sounds like there is a problem but there isn't.
01-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,314
Original Poster
AF500FTZ compatibility with 645

Thanks for these comments. I can add one more piece of information. I looked up the Butkus manual for the Pentax 645N camera, and find that the 500FTZ is compatible with that camera, which of course is not definitive for the older 645.

01-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 56
I have the AF500FTZ and use it on a K10D. It works well as a manual flash and does coordinate somewhat with the camera, setting flash zoom to follow the lens. I knew this was not a digital PTTL flash, so did not expect much but it vastly exceeded my hopes. A great budget flash with high power, bounce, swivel and partial compatibility. For $30, I Can't complain.

No, I don't know about compatibility with the 645 version you have. It sounds like it varies by exact 645 version - yes for the N, ?? for older. It's old, so support will be weak. Unless some good soul here has direct experience, I doubt you can find a specific answer Your best bet is to get one and try it. If you lurk a bit on ebay, you'll find one cheap and it's a no brainer to try it - and dump it later if it's a no go. Barring that, the AF280T is just as good, except for lower guide number, and you know it's fully compatible.
01-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,657
QuoteOriginally posted by slowhands95128 Quote
For $30, I Can't complain.
That's quite a deal, I paid a lot more than that for my units (2) when I had them.

Even in manual mode, the 500 is a fine flash, reliable and well made. I only replaced mine because I wanted Godox v850 units for the studio.
01-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,314
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowhands95128 Quote
I have the AF500FTZ and use it on a K10D. It works well as a manual flash and does coordinate somewhat with the camera, setting flash zoom to follow the lens. I knew this was not a digital PTTL flash, so did not expect much but it vastly exceeded my hopes. A great budget flash with high power, bounce, swivel and partial compatibility. For $30, I Can't complain.

No, I don't know about compatibility with the 645 version you have. It sounds like it varies by exact 645 version - yes for the N, ?? for older. It's old, so support will be weak. Unless some good soul here has direct experience, I doubt you can find a specific answer Your best bet is to get one and try it. If you lurk a bit on ebay, you'll find one cheap and it's a no brainer to try it - and dump it later if it's a no go. Barring that, the AF280T is just as good, except for lower guide number, and you know it's fully compatible.
Thanks. Actually, I already have the 500FTZ as well as the 200T but not the 280T. The 200T works perfectly but of course does not elevate or swivel for bounce flash. It is certainly easier to try out equipment for compatibility on digital cameras with the low-cost and immediate feedback instead of trial, send film off for processing, and waiting for results.

Adam seems to know everything, so maybe he will find my thread and give me an answer. :>)

---------- Post added 01-21-15 at 12:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Maybe... read here:

AF500FTZ
Pentax AF-500 FTZ Flash - Shutter Speed Override? - Photo.net Pentax Forum
Pentax AF-500FTZ Electronic Flash Reviews - PhotographyREVIEW.com

Not a lot of detail but all seem to say it works with one or another flavor of the 645; the exact model may matter. Read all of article two - it starts out in a way that sounds like there is a problem but there isn't.
Thanks. Very interesting reading, although not definitive for my question.
07-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2017
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 819
I can only confirm that the AF500FTZ works on the 645N performing original TTL. The 645N Operating Manual describes the AF500FTZ use with this camera (Page 63). By using 5P cables, n flashes can do TTL in concert.

The AF500FTZ is also partly compatible with the 645Z. The list of compatibilities/incompatibilities may be found on Page 66 of the 'Z' Operating Manual.

The only AF500FTZ Operating Manual I have a copy of doesn't even mention any 645 variant. Perhaps there is a newer manual that does.

07-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 6,906
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
he only AF500FTZ Operating Manual I have a copy of doesn't even mention any 645 variant. Perhaps there is a newer manual that does.
I have the AF500FTZ manual that has all the 67ii & 645N usage info. I have posted part of it in my review of this flash:

PENTAX AF 500FTZ reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Phil.
07-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2017
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 819
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have the AF500FTZ manual that has all the 67ii & 645N usage info. I have posted part of it in my review of this flash:

PENTAX AF 500FTZ reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Phil.
Thanks for that, gofour3; I had forgotten your review. However, most of the information you attached was for the 67 camera. It appears that the AF-500FTZ flash will perform analog (camera quench) TTL on the 645, based on the 645 reviews. If there is any other 645 specific data in your manual that would be helpful to ivanvernon, perhaps you could make it available.

In the interest of hunting down this updated manual, what numbers preceding 'ENG' appear on the back cover?
07-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 6,906
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
If there is any other 645 specific data in your manual that would be helpful to ivanvernon, perhaps you could make it available. In the interest of hunting down this updated manual, what numbers preceding 'ENG' appear on the back cover?
The AF500FTZ English manual with the 645/67ii info, has this on the back: 56895 ENG 1991 04-9811 Printed in Japan

I also have a German one that has no 645/67ii info, has this on the back: AP 067303 GER 1992 02/99 Printed in Belgium .

Check out post #13 in this thread for the AF500FTZ pdf with the 645/67ii info:

Pentax 67ii + flash AF500FTZ problem with TTL - PentaxForums.com

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 07-05-2019 at 04:24 PM.
07-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2017
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 819
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The AF500FTZ English manual with the 645/67ii info, has this on the back: 56895 ENG 1991 04-9811 Printed in Japan

I also have a German one that has no 645/67ii info, has this on the back: AP 067303 GER 1992 02/99 Printed in Belgium .

Check out post #13 in this thread for the AF500FTZ pdf with the 645/67ii info:

Pentax 67ii + flash AF500FTZ problem with TTL - PentaxForums.com

Phil.
OK, my lesser version of the manual is 56895 ENG 1992 01-9207. It seems the 04-9811 is the critical discriminator.

And in case it wasn't apparent from my not remembering this other thread, my computer filing system needs an organizational upgrade, and mental one needs a performance upgrade.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af500ftz, af500ftz compatibility, answer, compatibility, compatibility with pentax, film, flash, lighting, pentax, pentax 645, photo studio, strobist, thanks, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about selling my Pentax IstDs with Pentax AF500FTZ flash pimentel1980 Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 03-12-2015 07:56 AM
Metz 45 CT4 -- compatibility with Pentax k5 Katja Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 7 06-08-2014 12:20 PM
430exii Compatibility with Pentax cameras? Dolfinack Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 2 11-13-2013 03:21 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax MZ-S with Flash AF500FTZ - free shipping EU,US ddamski Sold Items 4 04-15-2013 07:35 AM
Pentax K100D compatibility with SDM focus schnur07 Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 04-04-2013 11:12 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top