Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
cactus v6 info

I just got cactus v6 triggers for my k-3 and I have a nikon sb-800 flash. I have been playing around and got some good shots but is there a resource, like a web page, facebook group, or something to learn more. I feel a little overwhelmed and the community pages on cactus website confuses me a bit. Is there anything I need to keep in mind specific to Pentax? I am new to off camera flash, I have been adjusting the power through the cactus v6 manually, but I am not getting consistent results.

01-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might help:

Review: Cactus V6 - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I am new to off camera flash, I have been adjusting the power through the cactus v6 manually, but I am not getting consistent results.
What exposure mode are you using on the camera?

In order to achieve consistent results, I suggest to use manual "M" mode. You can use the green button to get an initial setting base on the camera's meter (you should configure the camera so that it adjusts the shutter speed when you use the green button) and then tweak from there.
01-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

In order to achieve consistent results, I suggest to use manual "M" mode. You can use the green button to get an initial setting base on the camera's meter (you should configure the camera so that it adjusts the shutter speed when you use the green button) and then tweak from there.
The questions I have are getting the power levels on the transceiver to work with the flash, they don't seem to be adjusting correctly. Not sure if it is a setting with the SB-800 if I don't have it set up correctly, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a pentax thing too. I also was trying to figure out the whole rear sync work around.

---------- Post added 01-29-15 at 06:29 PM ----------

I use manual. I know I can go lower than the sync speed, but I can't go higher though, right, without a pentax flash?

01-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The questions I have are getting the power levels on the transceiver to work with the flash, they don't seem to be adjusting correctly.
Are they not adjusting at all, or inconsistently?

In the case of the former, you don't have the flash in the right mode. It needs to be in TTL mode. You may also need to use a certain ordering of switching on devices. Have you consulted the V6 manual? It is very helpful.

In case of inconsistent adjustments you either are running an old firmware that you should update (I think there were issues with some intermediate firmwares and a few Nikon flashes, but I'm not a Nikon user so I forgot), or perhaps you are sometimes getting too close (say closer than 25cm) to the receiver with your transmitter. Use the "SHORT" work range mode, if the latter happens.

If all the above fails, you should probably post your own question in the Cactus Community forum. I think you'd stand a better chance of getting advice regarding a Nikon flash (including from Cactus) than here.

Not sure if it is a setting with the SB-800 if I don't have it set up correctly, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a pentax thing too.
It cannot be associated with anything specific to Pentax. Once the V6 transmitter has received the trigger signal from the camera, it is purely "Cactus (+Nikon in your case)" from then on.

I also was trying to figure out the whole rear sync work around.
Have a look at the review Adam referred you to. In particular, the section about the delay functionality. There is another way to achieve second-curtain sync, but that requires an additional P-TTL flash.

I know I can go lower than the sync speed, but I can't go higher though, right, without a pentax flash?
There is one option to exceed the sync-speed without using an HSS-capable flash with the V6. See the third bullet of the list of "delay" applications. You'd need three V6, though, because you'd be using one as a remote trigger for both camera and flash.
01-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are they not adjusting at all, or inconsistently?

In the case of the former, you don't have the flash in the right mode. It needs to be in TTL mode. You may also need to use a certain ordering of switching on devices. Have you consulted the V6 manual? It is very helpful.

In case of inconsistent adjustments you either are running an old firmware that you should update (I think there were issues with some intermediate firmwares and a few Nikon flashes, but I'm not a Nikon user so I forgot), or perhaps you are sometimes getting too close (say closer than 25cm) to the receiver with your transmitter. Use the "SHORT" work range mode, if the latter happens.

If all the above fails, you should probably post your own question in the Cactus Community forum. I think you'd stand a better chance of getting advice regarding a Nikon flash (including from Cactus) than here.

It cannot be associated with anything specific to Pentax. Once the V6 transmitter has received the trigger signal from the camera, it is purely "Cactus (+Nikon in your case)" from then on.

Have a look at the review Adam referred you to. In particular, the section about the delay functionality. There is another way to achieve second-curtain sync, but that requires an additional P-TTL flash.

There is one option to exceed the sync-speed without using an HSS-capable flash with the V6. See the third bullet of the list of "delay" applications. You'd need three V6, though, because you'd be using one as a remote trigger for both camera and flash.
Okay I think that answers my questions, yes it was inconsistent, or seemed so to me. I will see if I need to update the firmware. I haven't gotten around to reading the linked article but will soon. I read the manual...not the one sent with it but I downloaded a pdf from the website.I don't know if they were exactly the same. I needed a magnifying glass to read the book that came with it-made me feel old, lol!
01-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In case of inconsistent adjustments you either are running an old firmware that you should update (I think there were issues with some intermediate firmwares and a few Nikon flashes, but I'm not a Nikon user so I forgot),
Yup it seems to be a firmware issue
"
Fixed the occasional erratic changes in setting when working with Nikon SB
-
800"

personal reminder for me - check for firmware updates first!