Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posing - Ackward

This is not really about flash photography. More like studio posing.
Whenever I have been to the studio (paying customer), I always felt awkward by the way I am posed.

For example why are these necessary?:
Lift the chin? (How do you know how high)
Lean forward? (how far)
Smile (hold it. It doesnt feel natural)

Can anyone explain the idea behind this and how I can incorporate it in my portrait photography?

Last edited by Culture; 02-09-2015 at 02:52 AM.
02-09-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
These directions from the tog are for your benefit, Culture.

Lifting the chin may separate it visually from your chin, or make you look less defensive, or make the light fall better across your face.

Leaning forward may act to give you a straight back that will let the limbs form good angles, or in a male, leaning towards the camera will appear to increase the size of your torso and any arms around it.

If you're not a content subject, with smiling, try doing it after lifting your head on the count of three. With a burst of shots, one of them catching the transition of your expression may look really natural even if the final result is a bit forced.

Ultimately, you should be smiling because you're actually happy about the session.

The photographer should have done their homework and now be paying more attention to you than their camera and lights, constantly talking. There shouldn't be any distracted pauses that 'break the spell' and cause you as a subject to have doubts or let your mind wander.

Last edited by clackers; 02-09-2015 at 01:07 AM.
02-09-2015, 01:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you mean awkward? Awkward | Define Awkward at Dictionary.com
02-09-2015, 03:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
These directions from the tog are for your benefit, Culture.

Lifting the chin may separate it visually from your chin, or make you look less defensive, or make the light fall better across your face.

Leaning forward may act to give you a straight back that will let the limbs form good angles, or in a male, leaning towards the camera will appear to increase the size of your torso and any arms around it.

If you're not a content subject, with smiling, try doing it after lifting your head on the count of three. With a burst of shots, one of them catching the transition of your expression may look really natural even if the final result is a bit forced.

Ultimately, you should be smiling because you're actually happy about the session.

The photographer should have done their homework and now be paying more attention to you than their camera and lights, constantly talking. There shouldn't be any distracted pauses that 'break the spell' and cause you as a subject to have doubts or let your mind wander.
Thanks for your answer. Atleast I think I understand the first point concerning the chin.

I still have to think about he second point.

As I am trying to get into portrait photography. I am trying to understand the reasons behind these so I can use them in my own small studio.

I have not seen any guides or tutorial about this so far but I will continue the search.

02-09-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I've done a couple of workshops run by fashion photographers on posing, direction and invoking emotion from real models, and they were much more valuable than books, videos or web tutorials.
02-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
... I have not seen any guides or tutorial about this so far but I will continue the search.
Here are some:
Zeltsman Apporach to Traditional Classic Portraiture

Posing Guide: 21 Sample Poses to Get You Started with Photographing Women ? Part I - Digital Photography School

Last edited by Aksel; 02-09-2015 at 08:38 AM.
02-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It eliminates a double-chin

I am not sure about the particular scenario you were involved in, but I do know that llifting the chin and/or leaning forward can help eliminate a double-chin, for those of us who are modern humans (i.e., overweight). I am speaking for myself here, but also for, well, you know who you are.

A similar trick that I picked up somewhere is to have the photographer shoot downward on a group of subjects, where the subjects might be sitting on the floor, looking upward slightly. I didn't believe how well this would work until 1) I was put into this situation with my family (including my young children) as subjects; and then 2) I tried this myself when taking a family portrait for a relative's family. Give it a try, you might be surprised how well this can work.

02-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote

A similar trick that I picked up somewhere is to have the photographer shoot downward on a group of subjects, where the subjects might be sitting on the floor, looking upward slightly.
Yeah, I've seen a couple of photographers who keep a step ladder in their van.

For a group photo, another advantage of looking down is the depth of field problem of people at the back vs those in the front is minimized.
02-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #9
bmw

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've done a couple of workshops run by fashion photographers on posing, direction and invoking emotion from real models, and they were much more valuable than books, videos or web tutorials.
Yup! Having done this too, I agree: nothing beats live sessions and working with a skilled pro. But it can also be expensive and not always available, so I've also learned a great deal from Creative Live webinars, books and even Youtube videos. But you have to try a number of them to find out which ones suit you and your style.

Personally I can recommend the CL webinars with Lindsay Adler teaching, especially Posing 101.
02-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replys guys I will look into the advice provided?

---------- Post added 11-02-15 at 08:42 ----------

Interestingly I have seen all three links before.

---------- Post added 11-02-15 at 08:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bmw Quote
Yup! Having done this too, I agree: nothing beats live sessions and working with a skilled pro. But it can also be expensive and not always available, so I've also learned a great deal from Creative Live webinars, books and even Youtube videos. But you have to try a number of them to find out which ones suit you and your style.

Personally I can recommend the CL webinars with Lindsay Adler teaching, especially Posing 101.

CL webinars with Lindsay Adler teaching I guess I will searching for that next. Thanks