Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewong Quote
Hello seventysixersfan, Please post after you use it !. Will you shot Macro len with this new flash ?. Thanks, steve
I'm supposed to receive the flash by the end of the week and will post my initial impressions followed by a regular review once I've used it for a while. I do have a macro lens, the amazing/wonderful DFA 100 WR, and a few "close focusing" primes like my Sigma AF 24mm f/2.8 Super-wide II, but I'm not much of a macro photographer. I'm interested in using this flash primarily to help in poor lighting conditions like inside my house, especially when photographing my kids. I have been using a Lightscoop up to now (and have gotten some decent results) but wanted to get a simple and compact external flash. This one looks, on paper, like it should fit the bill for me. Can't wait to find out!

06-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I'm supposed to receive the flash by the end of the week and will post my initial impressions followed by a regular review once I've used it for a while. I do have a macro lens, the amazing/wonderful DFA 100 WR, and a few "close focusing" primes like my Sigma AF 24mm f/2.8 Super-wide II, but I'm not much of a macro photographer. I'm interested in using this flash primarily to help in poor lighting conditions like inside my house, especially when photographing my kids. I have been using a Lightscoop up to now (and have gotten some decent results) but wanted to get a simple and compact external flash. This one looks, on paper, like it should fit the bill for me. Can't wait to find out!
Thanks for your quick post !!.
I have use Old Pentax flash 280 Manual flash.I see this new flash is small and price is right !!.I will buy one by Dec of 2015 !!
I hope it will produces good light for in door and some with Macro shot !!!.
Thanks,
steve
06-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #78

So have you received the new flash by now and have put it through its paces? (Or has anyone else gotten it?) What do you think of it? I haven't read any user reviews of this new flash and am anxiously awaiting any feedback about how it is built and how it performs. (I've never been an early adopter so I wait until others recommend equipment before taking the plunge, even on an inexpensive item like this one)
I did have a chance to put to through its paces, although not for my intended use. I'm more of a macro photographer but haven't done any trips to really give it a test. I did photograph a friend's wedding last weekend, and the AF201 did very well as an outdoor fill flash. Indoor bounce wasn't as impressive but it did help; not surprising since it's not meant to be a powerful flash. It was reliable and pretty accurate, and build quality seems very solid. Does that help?
06-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexL Quote
I did have a chance to put to through its paces, although not for my intended use. I'm more of a macro photographer but haven't done any trips to really give it a test. I did photograph a friend's wedding last weekend, and the AF201 did very well as an outdoor fill flash. Indoor bounce wasn't as impressive but it did help; not surprising since it's not meant to be a powerful flash. It was reliable and pretty accurate, and build quality seems very solid. Does that help?
Thanks AlexL,
If you have test it with Macro shot .Please come back and post your opinion with this new flash.
Thank you,
steve

06-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #80

Any flaws like a flimsy battery cover?
06-10-2015, 04:48 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, that is helpful, thank you! It is reassuring to hear that the flash performs well enough given its price point and compact form factor. I'm getting it delivered today so I'll be able to try it myself!
06-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Any flaws like a flimsy battery cover?
The battery cover seems solid, locks firmly in place. I haven't notice any major flaws yet, but I haven't tested all the features yet. Recycle time seems a bit slow (maybe 4 second-ish), but that might be fine given that this isn't meant to be a high performance flash.

06-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #83

Recycle time seems a bit slow (maybe 4 second-ish)
Two AA batteries don't have much amperage so I wouldn't expect much in the way of recycle time. About 4 seconds for Ni-MH cells is what the spec sheet says with ~100 flashes.
06-10-2015, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #84
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The battery cover seems solid, locks firmly in place.
Agreed, the battery cover is fine. I'm very pleased with how compact, lightweight, and TINY this flash is. Great for travel and seems quite well made. (My comparison point is the Metz 24 AF-1, which I got as a gift last year but returned. That was also a small flash but felt very plastic-y and cheaply made.)

Here are some pictures of my new AF201 FG flash attached to my K-50 and K-01.

06-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Two AA batteries don't have much amperage so I wouldn't expect much in the way of recycle time. About 4 seconds for Ni-MH cells is what the spec sheet says with ~100 flashes.
It's two AAA batteries, and I only use Eneloop Ni-MHs.
06-11-2015, 08:02 AM   #86

Agreed, the battery cover is fine. I'm very pleased with how compact, lightweight, and TINY this flash is. Great for travel and seems quite well made. (My comparison point is the Metz 24 AF-1, which I got as a gift last year but returned. That was also a small flash but felt very plastic-y and cheaply made.)

Here are some pictures of my new AF201 FG flash attached to my K-50 and K-01.

Hello Seventysixersfan,
Thanks for sharing your images of the flash on your cameras.It looks good.
I will waiting for your review about the performance !!!
Thanks,
steve
06-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also have a Metz 24 that I used on the K-01 (sometimes) but mostly used on my Q-S1. The metz also has tilt. The build quality is horrible imho as the shoe mount is quite finicky. Sometimes it does not lock properly on the hot shoe. That being said, I like the flash as I use it as an Auto flash and it is quite good.

The AF201 afaik does not do Auto and is PTTL only....I personally find I like Auto flash better than PTTL...so while I am excited that AF201FG has tilt features, I don't think I will buy it....
06-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

somewhat of a bummer that they went with AAA instead of AA batteries. I don't like having so many different sizes. Because of this I might pass on this cute little flash and stay with my compact Chinese (manual) flash for now.

Michael
06-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I also have a Metz 24 that I used on the K-01 (sometimes) but mostly used on my Q-S1. The metz also has tilt. The build quality is horrible imho as the shoe mount is quite finicky. Sometimes it does not lock properly on the hot shoe. That being said, I like the flash as I use it as an Auto flash and it is quite good.

The AF201 afaik does not do Auto and is PTTL only....I personally find I like Auto flash better than PTTL...so while I am excited that AF201FG has tilt features, I don't think I will buy it....
Interesting to hear you say that ... much of the outrage engendered when we were told that the K-3ii wouldn't have an on-board flash was from people who depend on the OBF to trigger a gang of PTTL-controlled flashes. On the other hand, I have an appreciation for Auto flash that dates back to the days when flashes had more intelligence than cameras did.
06-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #90

Well, waiting to see some macro shots using this flash. Another poster said the Vivitar FC-PEN cable was decent. It's going for about $14 at Adorama last time I checked. I might give the cable a shot.