Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2017, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went ahead and bought the AF201FG and am suitably impressed. It's just the right size for what I wanted and can be carried in one's pocket easily. Guide number 20 with 100 ISO (that drops to 14 with the wide angle panel dropped into place) full power, and 10 at quarter power. It has leading and trailing Auto options, a two manual modes (x1 and x 0.25 power) and features P-TTL operation in auto. No HSS but I wouldn't expect that in this price range flash nor do I need it that much for the application. It only supports flash compensation if your camera does (my K-1 is one of those that does). Ready light and test button and the ready light doubles as a battery indicator by flashing when batteries are low.

The head swivels in the vertical plane from 0 degrees to 20, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120, and 135 degrees (the latter toward the camera). It also has a lock release that lets it swivel 10 degrees downward. What to ask for in a selection of swivel angles. No horizontal swivel, but again, I don't need that capability. No provision for a sync cord unless a hot shoe adapter is used.

The coverage is rated at 70 x 53 degrees and the pull-out/drop-down wide angle panel gets you 98 x 85 degrees. I haven't evaluated the evenness of coverage yet. The wide angle panel stores in the flash itself just above the flash window, and pull out and folds down to put it in front of the window for wider coverage. Neat little trick.

It takes AAA alkaline or Ni-MH batteries. I used alkaline and the recycle time from dead start is fairly short - again impressive for a little flash.

The flash is stylish in off black color (Pentax black), and it seems rugged enough in its construction though the hot shoe is plastic but even high priced flashes are now using plastic in their hot shoe mounts.

The flash comes in a matching velvet type bag with drawstring closure, and the package includes a 52 page user guide. Only one complaint is that the user guide is multi-language, but the languages alternate throughout the guide rather than having an English section, a Japanese section, etc. Makes reading a bit difficult because one tends to miss some of the sections in their native language on first glance. Old style grouping works better for me.

All in all, a great little flash for my needs, and I think it will work for use with my K-1 (for fill and low power needs) quite well.

03-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the feedback and mini-review.

I'm intrigued by the weather resistance claimed on the unit, which remains pretty rare for flashes.
03-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
the package includes a 52 page user guide.
Unfortunately, I bought mine used and didn't get the manual nor can I find it on Ricoh's site.

Your review would be acceptable in the Data base here. Well, thought out and well explained. Thanks.
03-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I bought mine used and didn't get the manual nor can I find it on Ricoh's site.
It's always best to look on the Ricoh JP site:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/acc_st_af201fg.pdf

03-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks rawr. I didn't think to look at the JP site. Downloaded now. Thanks again!
05-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #111
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I went ahead and bought the AF201FG and am suitably impressed. It's just the right size for what I wanted and can be carried in one's pocket easily. Guide number 20 with 100 ISO (that drops to 14 with the wide angle panel dropped into place) full power, and 10 at quarter power. It has leading and trailing Auto options, a two manual modes (x1 and x 0.25 power) and features P-TTL operation in auto. No HSS but I wouldn't expect that in this price range flash nor do I need it that much for the application. It only supports flash compensation if your camera does (my K-1 is one of those that does). Ready light and test button and the ready light doubles as a battery indicator by flashing when batteries are low.

The head swivels in the vertical plane from 0 degrees to 20, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120, and 135 degrees (the latter toward the camera). It also has a lock release that lets it swivel 10 degrees downward. What to ask for in a selection of swivel angles. No horizontal swivel, but again, I don't need that capability. No provision for a sync cord unless a hot shoe adapter is used.

The coverage is rated at 70 x 53 degrees and the pull-out/drop-down wide angle panel gets you 98 x 85 degrees. I haven't evaluated the evenness of coverage yet. The wide angle panel stores in the flash itself just above the flash window, and pull out and folds down to put it in front of the window for wider coverage. Neat little trick.

It takes AAA alkaline or Ni-MH batteries. I used alkaline and the recycle time from dead start is fairly short - again impressive for a little flash.

The flash is stylish in off black color (Pentax black), and it seems rugged enough in its construction though the hot shoe is plastic but even high priced flashes are now using plastic in their hot shoe mounts.

The flash comes in a matching velvet type bag with drawstring closure, and the package includes a 52 page user guide. Only one complaint is that the user guide is multi-language, but the languages alternate throughout the guide rather than having an English section, a Japanese section, etc. Makes reading a bit difficult because one tends to miss some of the sections in their native language on first glance. Old style grouping works better for me.

All in all, a great little flash for my needs, and I think it will work for use with my K-1 (for fill and low power needs) quite well.
Just came across this great review! Would you mind adding these thoughts to the reviews page for this flash?

PENTAX AF 201FG reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: