Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It will go nicely with the FF which doesn't seem to have a flash on board.
Totally agree. I hate on-board flash and use it really only when I'm in a pinch -- very rarely. But this little thing would be smart to keep in the bag for just those occasions.

02-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
... FF ... doesn't seem to have a flash on board.
I will never understand that mantra... the built in flash is the most underused feature of a camera... missing on a FF body is such an annoying thing...
02-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I will never understand that mantra... the built in flash is the most underused feature of a camera... missing on a FF body is such an annoying thing...
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I've always viewed a built-in flash as being something that belongs on a point-and-shoot camera, while external flash gives the same strengths as interchangeable lenses do, of matching what I have to what I need; I normally carry much more power in my bag/pocket than the camera flash can do. It also saves the camera battery for those things that can be done only by the camera (and, yes, I normally remove memory from the camera and use an external device to read images into my computer). One of the benefits I saw in going from a Canon Elph to a Pentax Q7 as my pocketable camera was the ability to carry a small, but more powerful, flash in my other pocket.
02-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Look around you for a second... everything you have seen in that second can be bound by the "agree to disagree".
Obviously in the end everything is based on personal preference - what works for you doesn't mean it has to work for me and vice versa.

For me, as someone that likes and practice some "strobism", that built-in flash is extremely useful when traveling light and you want a 2 point light setup on the go. Use the built in flash as a filler and the extra flash as your main light triggered by the built in flash. Now that thing is missing... so you need to carry 2 bigger flashes (and possible a trigger) just to get the same results. I see that as a devolution rather than a bonus.

Such a small thing that takes so little space and its literally built in the camera... missing on a "pro" camera that its supposed to give you as many options as possible . For someone that doesn't use it, it won't be missed even if is on the body (since you are NOT using it). For someone that is using it constantly it will be a huge miss.

02-10-2015, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Wish it had a few more manual power options (only full or 1/4), but it's still moderately interesting to me as a light, WR flash for macro...
My thinking as well. One could fashion a cheap-ish, light, dual-flash setup for macro with two of these. The limited manual options are a drag that may need to be worked around.
02-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #36

Yes, I can see this as an excellent flash for macro mounted on a arm or C/O ring mount. P-TTL metering with a cable is a big plus.
02-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

That is actually a good idea... macro flash lights! Small and "tilty".
Will be nice to replace those heffalumps that I am using now!

02-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would be especially intrigued if it also worked on the (new) GR6. That way, I could add it to my K-3 kit and share between the GR6 and K-3. Will Ricoh and Pentax ever share a common set of accessories/batteries/UI between the two brands??? (I hope so)

Michael
02-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Totally underwhelmed.

I just got a YN560IV a week ago (bought 2 in fact) .
Not only has this China maker improved on build and quality over the years since YN460, they have almost added new functions year on year.
IIRC, 2yrs back saw the release of the YN560III which included a built in wireless RX.
Then in 2014, they released a YN560TX controller that not only triggers the flashes, but controls their power o/p and zoom.
This year, they even improved on that with the YN560IV which basically places that YN560TX function into the flash.

So even 3rd party (often looked down China brands) are improving their game.
This new AF201FG really adds too little to the table for the price.
If they were WR and P-TTL they might be perfect...
02-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Look around you for a second... everything you have seen in that second can be bound by the "agree to disagree".
Obviously in the end everything is based on personal preference - what works for you doesn't mean it has to work for me and vice versa.

For me, as someone that likes and practice some "strobism", that built-in flash is extremely useful when traveling light and you want a 2 point light setup on the go. Use the built in flash as a filler and the extra flash as your main light triggered by the built in flash. Now that thing is missing... so you need to carry 2 bigger flashes (and possible a trigger) just to get the same results. I see that as a devolution rather than a bonus.

Such a small thing that takes so little space and its literally built in the camera... missing on a "pro" camera that its supposed to give you as many options as possible . For someone that doesn't use it, it won't be missed even if is on the body (since you are NOT using it). For someone that is using it constantly it will be a huge miss.
And when we talk about personal preference, I don't see the point of talking and talking and talking, which is what eventually turns a discussion like this into a "thread from hell".

I don't find a tiny point source to be even a good fill. If you do, that is good for you. And something I never use does take up space, which I constantly covet.
02-10-2015, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good price point and WR...I will be picking one up.

02-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And when we talk about personal preference, I don't see the point of talking and talking and talking, which is what eventually turns a discussion like this into a "thread from hell".
I'm not the one who started this train. You are the one who quoted my "personal preference" and decided to "attack it"... you could of just as easily ignored my comment and move on... but you've found it necessary to quote me twice so far...

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-10-2015 at 10:43 AM.
02-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Totally underwhelmed.

I just got a YN560IV a week ago (bought 2 in fact) .
Not only has this China maker improved on build and quality over the years since YN460, they have almost added new functions year on year.
IIRC, 2yrs back saw the release of the YN560III which included a built in wireless RX.
Then in 2014, they released a YN560TX controller that not only triggers the flashes, but controls their power o/p and zoom.
This year, they even improved on that with the YN560IV which basically places that YN560TX function into the flash.

So even 3rd party (often looked down China brands) are improving their game.
This new AF201FG really adds too little to the table for the price.
I recently got the III and was pleasantly surprised by the build quality-better than my Metz 58 AF-1. But either of them on the Q looks comical lol.
02-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #44

That is actually a good idea... macro flash lights! Small and "tilty".
Will be nice to replace those heffalumps that I am using now!
Ohh, nice! What bracket is that? I'm always looking at options. Heffalumps, ha ha! Replaced with woozles?

02-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I'm not the one who started this train. You are the one who quoted my "personal preference" and decided to "attack it"... you could of just as easily ignored my comment and move on... but you've found it necessary to quote me twice so far...
I'm sorry that you view a different opinion as an "attack". My intention was to discuss a point and provide an alternative opinion, just as you did when you responded to D1N0. I apologize if you feel "attacked".

I will say nothing else on this subject.