Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Where can I get a cord

I'm looking for Pentax cable wireless flash to camera for k200d, my cactus will not work, so I'm assuming IT needs the cable for the shutter release, please correct me if I'm wrong

02-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you be a little more specific? I understand that you are trying to trigger the k200 from the Cactus, is that correct? Or are you trying to trigger a flash using the k200?
02-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TanyaDuxMet Quote
I'm looking for Pentax cable wireless flash to camera for k200d, my cactus will not work, so I'm assuming IT needs the cable for the shutter release, please correct me if I'm wrong
Cable and wireless don't go hand in hand very much. I'm not sure I follow what you need solved.
02-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Cable and wireless don't go hand in hand very much.
The Cactus can be used to trigger the shutter on the camera wirelessly. But it needs a cable from the Cactus remote (on the hot shoe) to the camera's wired remote port. I think that is the cable the OP is asking about. But maybe not.....

Anyway here is the cable I think they need: http://www.amazon.com/Cactus-Shutter-Sub-Mini-Samsung-Cameras/dp/B008559VE8

But OP, please clarify what you need.

02-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In what way does your Cactus "not work"?

If you want to use it as a remote shutter release then you need the type of cable pointed to by jatrax.

If you want to use the Cactus as a flash trigger then you have a different problem, e.g., you could be using a shutter speed faster than 1/180s.
02-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Can you be a little more specific? I understand that you are trying to trigger the k200 from the Cactus, is that correct? Or are you trying to trigger a flash using the k200?
I had bought a cactus flash transceiver and it will not trigger, looks like I need a small cord to go from my camera to the transceiver, so the transceiver can sent its signal to the stobe flash,
02-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had bought a cactus flash transceiver and it will not trigger, looks like I need a small cord to go from my camera to the transceiver, so the transceiver can sent its signal to the stobe flash,
Shouldn't it work directly on the hotshoe for that?

02-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, you should not need a cable to trigger the flash. You only need the cable if you are trying to activate the shutter on the camera using the cactus.

How many transceivers did you buy? You must have at least two.

You need one on the camera in Tx mode (transmit) and another one attached to the strobe in Rx mode (receive) If the strobe is a hot shoe type flash then mount it on the 2nd Cactus using the hot shoe. If it is a studio flash then you need to connect the second Cactus to the strobe via a cable that fits whatever flash you have.

Both Cactus transceivers need to be on the same channel.

• Once you have them powered up, one in Tx and the other in Rx, press the test button on top of the Tx one and you should see the test light blink on the Rx one.
  • Now, attach the strobe to the Rx Cactus. Again press the test button on the Tx Cactus and the strobe should fire. If it does you can now attach the Tx Cactus to your camera
  • The camera MUST be using a shutter speed of 1/180 or slower. If your camera has x-mode (k-5 or k-3) use that. Take a test shot. The flash should fire.

Please add your camera model, the flash model and what camera mode you are using.
02-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The Cactus can be used to trigger the shutter on the camera wirelessly. But it needs a cable from the Cactus remote (on the hot shoe) to the camera's wired remote port. I think that is the cable the OP is asking about. But maybe not.....

Anyway here is the cable I think they need: http://www.amazon.com/Cactus-Shutter-Sub-Mini-Samsung-Cameras/dp/B008559VE8

But OP, please clarify what you need.
Those cables came with the cactus, but none fit my camera :-(, it a different cable hole smaller
02-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those cables came with the cactus, but none fit my camera :-(, it a different cable hole smaller
But again what we are saying is that the cable you are talking about is only used when you want to use the Cactus to trigger the shutter on the camera - if you use self-timer or trigger with your finger on the shutter the flash will not care if you have that cable connected. Are we misunderstanding what you want to accomplish? If it is just to trigger an off camera flash - then the first cactus goes on the hotshoe and the other connects to the flash - that's it. The cable isn't needed in that scenario.
02-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The small hole on your camera is called a sub mini phono port, it is where you plug in a shutter release, and the cactus can do that with the proper adapter, but I sense that is not what you are trying to accomplish.

The cactus should work directly from your hotshoe with no cables if you are just trying to trigger a flash. Here are a few things to check:

• Make sure you have fresh batteries. My Cactus V5 doesn't like rechargeable batteries, just good old alkalines, my V6 doesn't care.
  • Make sure your transmitter and receiver units are on the same channel.
  • Make sure the shutter speed on your camera is at or below the max sync speed of 1/180th, or the hotshoe will not fire.
  • Make sure the transmitter unit is pushed all the way to the front of the hotshoe. Loosen the ring at the base of the unit to make this easier.
02-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
The small hole on your camera is called a sub mini phono port, it is where you plug in a shutter release, and the cactus can do that with the proper adapter, but I sense that is not what you are trying to accomplish.

The cactus should work directly from your hotshoe with no cables if you are just trying to trigger a flash. Here are a few things to check:

• Make sure you have fresh batteries. My Cactus V5 doesn't like rechargeable batteries, just good old alkalines, my V6 doesn't care.
  • Make sure your transmitter and receiver units are on the same channel.
  • Make sure the shutter speed on your camera is at or below the max sync speed of 1/180th, or the hotshoe will not fire.
  • Make sure the transmitter unit is pushed all the way to the front of the hotshoe. Loosen the ring at the base of the unit to make this easier.
My cactus was properly mounted in the hotshoe, still was not firing off the shutter, so now I'm looking in to buying a new strob flash, because I'm thinking it's the all in one bulb