Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
How do you like the Super? Do you mind the locking feature? Aslo, what camera are you using this on?

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 01:52 PM ----------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UHDRAS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&ps...=A3CHXSJAKA4EH

Just found the EF-530 for a reasonable price. Any thoughts on this?
I like the Super but haven't used it much yet. My main reason for buying it was fill flash for street fairs and parades. I bought it near the end of parade season and expect to use it more after this snowy northeast winter ends. The locking feature - you mean the angle adjustment button - I'm neutral on it. I guess it's good when bouncing off the wall because a little bump won't misalign the flash, but bad on a harder hit because the flash might break rather than move. Not a big issue either way.

I am using a K-5. P-TTL works well enough in Av mode with a constant ISO (auto ISO or TAv give inconsistent exposures because the flash and ISO calculation fight each other).

The Sigma EF-530 Super you linked is very similar to the EF-610 Super. I think it has the same features with slightly less light at maximum setting. I got the 610 because I wanted something that can light faces when distant people are backlit by the sun, so went with the brighter model. The 530 would probably be just as good for me except on the sunniest days.

02-13-2015, 04:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the Sigma 500 super and the only complaint I have is that when it is used off camera with a radio trigger, it will fall asleep on you and has to be woke-up to fire. I don't know if this still happens with the newer models.

Sigma did upgrade the filmware for free in my 500 when I upgraded from my DS to the Kr. The only cost was shipping to Sigma. I would buy another Sigma if needed.

I do a ton of indoor shooting with the camera in manual mode and the flash in automatic and bounce. I get pretty good exposure control that way.

Tim
02-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I haven't had a chance to put it through all its paces, but I picked up a Bolt flash for $150 on B&H. It has TTL, (as well as bounce/swivel) and was cheap, which was what I was looking for.

So far the flash has produced perfect results for me.

Bolt VS-510P Wireless TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax VS-510P
Sagitta, does the Bolt flash work in High Shutter Speed Sync? I ask because one of the reviewers at B&H said it doesn't work on the K-30, despite the specs saying it is HSS capable. I have a K-50, so I'm curious about the HSS as the price seems quite good, but if it doesn't work on the K-30, it likely won't work on a K-50 either.
02-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
Sagitta, does the Bolt flash work in High Shutter Speed Sync? I ask because one of the reviewers at B&H said it doesn't work on the K-30, despite the specs saying it is HSS capable. I have a K-50, so I'm curious about the HSS as the price seems quite good, but if it doesn't work on the K-30, it likely won't work on a K-50 either.

As per the manual for the flash:

QuoteQuote:
"You can use shutter seeds higher than your camera's top flash sync speed with the VS-510P by activating high-speed sync in automatic TTL mode. High speed sync lets you use shutter speeds as fast as 1/8000 second."
I can confirm it does work (at least on the K-3) so it should work on the K-30/K-50 as well. YMMV of course. If my K-30 was alive and working I'd test it for you.

I think the issue is that the buttons aren't very clear on the Bolt as far as what they actually do - its a case of RTFM (Read the F'n Manual) which many people don't do. I know if you have it set wrong it will actually cripple the flash down to a 1/90 limit (I saw someone on Amazon docking stars for that - and they had a K-3).

Stuff this flash can do:

It can be slaved wirelessly with TTL according to the manual

It can also be an optical slave

Has bounce/swivel/zoom

Has a built in diffuser and reflector

So yea... I'm happy. Again, I can't compare it to what expensive units may have or do, (I've never owned one to compare) but it seems to have everything I'll need for casual use, which is what I was looking for when I went shopping for a cheap flash.

Truthfully, it has *more* than what I was expecting - I was really just looking for a bare bones TTL flash, and this thing seems fleshed out a good bit past the bare bones state.

So far the only shots I haven't liked have been ones with the flash actually pointed at a subject rather than bounced off the walls or something, and I'm fairly certain that's just a case of me not knowing what I'm doing yet.

---------- Post added 02-13-15 at 09:39 AM ----------

Double post: I just RTFM myself (I hadn't up to now) and that 1/90 second 'crippling' seems to be when the flash is set for rear-curtain sync/dragging the shutter. So yea. The flash is solid (at least on the K-3, again, I can't think of why the K-30/50 would differ)

Triple post!: I just fiddled with the flash, and I can put it into high speed sync mode without it even being on the camera to begin with, so there's that.

Last edited by Sagitta; 02-13-2015 at 07:51 AM.
02-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #20

Sagitta, thanks for the reply.

I noticed that the reviewer on B&H also complained about the 1/90 second max shutter speed, so perhaps it was simply a matter of not understanding how to use the Bolt flash.

Regarding compatibility with the K-30/K-50 (and K-01), there seems to be some slight differences between them and the other Pentax cameras regarding flashes. I have a flash that worked fine in P-TTL on a K-20D and K-x, but doesn't work properly on a K-01 or K-50. The flash simply starts strobing when mounted on these cameras in P-TTL mode; however, it works fine in manual mode.
02-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still confused. TTL is not the same as P-TTL, does this bolt flash actually fire the preflash? You can tell by putting the camera in 2 second self-timer mode and firing. The preflash should happen instantly and then the main flash at the moment the shutter fires.

TTL only works as intended on the older DSLR's and film cameras.
02-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm still confused. TTL is not the same as P-TTL, does this bolt flash actually fire the preflash? You can tell by putting the camera in 2 second self-timer mode and firing. The preflash should happen instantly and then the main flash at the moment the shutter fires.

TTL only works as intended on the older DSLR's and film cameras.

I just checked with mine.

Set it to 2 second mode, and I got a little mini flash when I first hit the shutter, then the main flash went off after 2 seconds.

EDIT: Not sure if the lens used matters, but it was my old FA28-90mm. The shot exposed properly (I'd post it, but its of my foot).

DOUBLE EDIT: The Bolt also zooms, so I got to watch the flash shift focal length and hear it zoom as it adjusted from 28 through 90mm. It shows the focal length in cropped terms, which is a bit odd (ie, 90mm reads as 105mm on the flash - probably to compensate for the difference between FF and cropped shooting).

02-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked with mine.

Set it to 2 second mode, and I got a little mini flash when I first hit the shutter, then the main flash went off after 2 seconds.

EDIT: Not sure if the lens used matters, but it was my old FA28-90mm. The shot exposed properly (I'd post it, but its of my foot).

DOUBLE EDIT: The Bolt also zooms, so I got to watch the flash shift focal length and hear it zoom as it adjusted from 28 through 90mm. It shows the focal length in cropped terms, which is a bit odd (ie, 90mm reads as 105mm on the flash - probably to compensate for the difference between FF and cropped shooting).
Sounds like P-TTL then. That's a nice addition to the options out there.
02-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #24

Check Sigma EF-610 DG Super first with your camera body.

I have both Sigma EF-610 DG Super and Pentax AF540FGZ.
The Sigma was not always compatible with my old (sold now) K10d.
Very often the shots were totally overexposed (just white picture on the screen).
The solution to go around the above was strange: change the camera mode to "Green", make 2-3 flash shots with Sigma in "Green" mode, then change the camera body mode to your favourite one (i.e. TAv, M, X).
I was living with that Sigma flaw for 2-3 years (I got Sigma 'Like New' from Amazon seller, but it was secondhand, not visible marks of use, $170), than last Black Friday I got new AF540FGZ ($219 delivered); as a AF540FGZ II is coming, the prices of AF540FGZ has dropped a lot.
This week I gave my Sigma EF-610 Super second chance and played a little with K-3 body.
And got the same incompatibility as with old K10d before.
I do not know if that is my specific item flaw (someone returned this item to the seller?), or just Sigma incompatibility flaw.
Besides the above, Sigma EF-610 DG Super is very nice piece of hardware, well build (I do not find the overall build inferior to AF540FGZ, I like the touch of Sigma much more than touch of AF540FGZ), easier to pack the gear (Sigma is flatter, when Pentax has protruding AF assist light reflector), but Sigma lacks an Auto (non-TTL "A") mode.
I was to keep Sigma as a spare for wireless set-up, but found again strange behaviour of EF-610:
* Sigma by design blinks with its red front focusing beam light every second or so, which might be annoying and/or distracting (i.e. in church);
* It happened for me that 3-5 seconds after the successful wireless setup shot, Sigma alone shot again with short white flash on its own; this I do not understand and again might be distracting on locations.
Conclusion:
As a price gap between Pentax AF540FGZ and Sigma EF-610 DG Super narrows, I would recommend going for the former. Or check with Metz.

----
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I want to know if you would select the flashes I have below or push me towards somethign else.
02-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I haven't had a chance to put it through all its paces, but I picked up a Bolt flash for $150 on B&H. It has TTL, (as well as bounce/swivel) and was cheap, which was what I was looking for.

So far the flash has produced perfect results for me.

Bolt VS-510P Wireless TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax VS-510P
Did you use it on or off camera?
02-19-2015, 05:41 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Did you use it on or off camera?
On. I supposedly can use it wirelessly/remotely via a flash trigger but I haven't tried that yet.
02-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

On. I supposedly can use it wirelessly/remotely via a flash trigger but I haven't tried that yet.
Do you have trigger? If so, which one?
I'm torn now between two cheapo options, either YN 560IV, or Bolt. Bolt seems very attractive to start with, but I'd like to use it off camera without problems. I can get metz- 52-1, maybe used, but it seems that new Bolt will do pretty much the same as metz. I may be wrong on it since I have not seen any flash closer than on someone's camera from the distance.
02-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Nope, no trigger, which is why I haven't tried yet.
02-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I can not find any information on triggers for Bolt. But I found the manual. Unfortunately, there is only for canon online, but it seems easy to use, and has everything for learning flash photography.
02-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I misplaced the manual (probably when I dug it out to quote it last time) but I just played with the flash and I can get it to fire as an optical slave, at least. I'm 99% certain I read that it can be used wirelessly as well.

---------- Post added 02-19-15 at 10:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I can not find any information on triggers for Bolt. But I found the manual. Unfortunately, there is only for canon online, but it seems easy to use, and has everything for learning flash photography.
All double posting here, but here's the description from Bolt's website.

VS-510P Wireless TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax & Samsung Cameras

Pertinant part states:

QuoteQuote:
It also supports wireless TTL controls for multiple units and groups, including 4 channels and 3 groups up to 33' away.
EDIT: The MSRP price on the website is also a hundred bucks higher than what I paid, and about 80 higher than B&H's apparent normal price, so not sure whats up with that.