Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best TTL Flash for a Reasonable Price

I am in the market for a new or used quality flash. I would love a Pentax flash like the Pentax AF360FGZ II, but its a little pricy. If there isn't a better alternative, then I guess Ill just start saving my pennies. I want to know if you would select the flashes I have below or push me towards somethign else.

I had my eye on the following:

1. Metz mecablitz 44 AF-1 Digital Flash
2. Sigma EF-610 DG ST Electronic Flash

Main Features I want
1. Resaonable Build Quality
2. TTL
3. Slave Mode
4. Tilt and swivel head

Main Uses
1. Weddings and live events.
2. Studio work.

02-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Before I got the 540gz given to me for a gift I was leaning towards the Sigma. I read a lot of reviews and found it to be the most compelling. I don't recall specifics but this site helped a lot with the initial research: The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

One thing that might matter is that the Sigma can be wireless slave OR master the Metz can only be the slave, also the Metz can only zoom to the level the camera indicates you cannot manually zoom it (Both according to this feature chart, no first hand knowledge of this) :

Feature Tables - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

I also think the main page "Just Want Someone to Tell You What To Buy?" is pretty good advice for someone wanting to use these in a studio environment. I think the radio triggers are a better choice for a lot of us. I might have headed that way had I not gotten my flash as a gift.
02-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Metz 48 and find the build quality and functionality quite good. Not sure if the 44 is the same.

FYI but you need P-TTL not TTL, there is a difference and modern Pentax cameras will not work with TTL

For studio use I prefer all manual flashes and wireless triggers. I use Cactus triggers and flashpoint strobes. If you want to stick with hot shoe flashes look at the Cactus v6 system of triggers and flashes or the Yongnuo system.

But if you need P-TTL on and hotshoe flash there are not a lot of options
02-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

François Hollande
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
2. TTL
only if your camera supports ttl.
Pttl is a leopard with different shorts.

02-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

After over a year with my Sigma EF-610 DG Super, I seriously question whether P-TTL is worth the trouble. To be honest, my vintage Pentax AF 280T does just as good a job for most subjects within the limit of its maximum guide number. The AF 280T was about 1/10th the cost of the Sigma. It is my opinion at present, that except for event and documentary work, the Sigma is overkill. For the aspiring strobist, I would suggest any of the excellent speedlights available on the market.

Steve
02-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have the 610 Super. I don't use PTTL very often but it's nice to have when needed. That flash also has high power output for HSS (high speed sync) fill flash on sunny days.

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
François Hollande
if your camera supports ttl.
Pttl is a leopard with different shorts.
I guess you copied&pasted something about French politics before replying
02-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
After over a year with my Sigma EF-610 DG Super, I seriously question whether P-TTL is worth the trouble. To be honest, my vintage Pentax AF 280T does just as good a job for most subjects within the limit of its maximum guide number. The AF 280T was about 1/10th the cost of the Sigma. It is my opinion at present, that except for event and documentary work, the Sigma is overkill. For the aspiring strobist, I would suggest any of the excellent speedlights available on the market.

Steve
I feel the exact same about the AF540fgz - I had a Tumax that I mainly used for wireless manual flash and I liked it as much or more than the 540 in terms of results. I'm still trying to learn how to make the 540 do what I want.

02-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't had a chance to put it through all its paces, but I picked up a Bolt flash for $150 on B&H. It has TTL, (as well as bounce/swivel) and was cheap, which was what I was looking for.

So far the flash has produced perfect results for me.

Bolt VS-510P Wireless TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax VS-510P
02-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the Sigma EF-610 DG ST is missing some of the features of the Sigma EF-610 DG SUPER but the cost is reasonable at $165. The METZ 44 has the option to update the firmware should Pentax ever change anything, but seems to dumb down some of the features and costs $200. I am personally leaning towards the Metz.

Do you all agree with my thinking? Or should I consider the Sigma more?
02-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You can actually never have enough power! Also, the Metz seems to be missing HSS. That's enough for me that I would go for the Sigma 610 super.

I have neither of those flashes, the Sigma user interface does not seem to be the most user friendly one (from hear-say). Sigma provides a service to update the firmware your flash; not sure of costs of this service.
02-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I think the Sigma EF-610 DG ST is missing some of the features of the Sigma EF-610 DG SUPER but the cost is reasonable at $165. The METZ 44 has the option to update the firmware should Pentax ever change anything, but seems to dumb down some of the features and costs $200. I am personally leaning towards the Metz.

Do you all agree with my thinking? Or should I consider the Sigma more?
The most significant difference between the Sigma "Super" and non-super is P-TTL; you need Super to get that feature from Sigma.

Given that you said "weddings and live events" in your opening requirements, I assume some of your shooting will be in full sunlight where you'll need fill flash. The Sigma 610 (either version) has more power than the Metz 44. The Metz 44 is a good flash if it has enough power for your needs. Can someone with wedding flash experience comment?
02-12-2015, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The most significant difference between the Sigma "Super" and non-super is P-TTL; you need Super to get that feature from Sigma.

I cannot speak from experience but this table seems to indicate otherwise:

It looks the non super version lacks wireless p-ttl which would be a potential problem.
It also seems to lack HSS and 2nd curtain sync and only allows the camera to set the zoom range rather than allowing a manual setting for flash zoom.
02-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I cannot speak from experience but this table seems to indicate otherwise:

It looks the non super version lacks wireless p-ttl which would be a potential problem.
It also seems to lack HSS and 2nd curtain sync and only allows the camera to set the zoom range rather than allowing a manual setting for flash zoom.
Thanks for the correction. I have the Super but forgot why I got it over the lesser version (I thought it was P-TTL but now I remember it was HSS).
02-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the correction. I have the Super but forgot why I got it over the lesser version (I thought it was P-TTL but now I remember it was HSS).
How do you like the Super? Do you mind the locking feature? Aslo, what camera are you using this on?

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 01:52 PM ----------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UHDRAS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&ps...=A3CHXSJAKA4EH

Just found the EF-530 for a reasonable price. Any thoughts on this?
02-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL - I wasn't sure the table was right! I just wanted to know. I have the Pentax 540 series not the Sigma but I came really close to getting one.