Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Please help me buy an external flash.

I totally ignore everything about flashes, I never used an external one.
I would like to buy a flash to shoot indoor mainly, but if it is powerful enough to use it even outdoor would be great!
I have a k50 and a limited budget (something around 100 euro would be great).
I would prefer a Pentax one, even if old model, but for what I see they are out of my budget.
Any advice?
I ask to you all everytime I need to buy something and you always give me the best advices!

If more information is needed just ask.

02-12-2015, 06:02 AM   #2

As you are in Europe, get secondhand Metz (i.e. on e-auctions.de site) dedicated for Pentax or with proper Pentax module.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I have a k50 and a limited budget (something around 100 euro would be great).
02-12-2015, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Let's consider PTTL flashes, they're the simplest to use ("auto" operation, basically).

Sigma makes the cheapest, i.e. the 610. Good power, reliable, cheapish build, complicated to use.

Pentax makes excellent ones, full-featured, relatively easy to use (not always), expensive.

Metz makes the best value. Better build than Sigma, on par with Pentax, full-featured, easier to use most of the time (especially the touch-screen, menu-driven 52 AF-1).

Pentax recently announced the 201FG, which will be low-power but inexpensive and reliable.

In the used market, you can search for an auto-thyristor flash, such as the Pentax 280T. Great value, reliable, well built, no PTTL but wtill works in auto.

In the manual world, the world is your oyster, but a manual flash requires you to control everything yourself. It's fine in a controlled environment, less so in day-to-day shooting. Cactus, Yongnuo, Godox are the three main brands I'd say. Older used flashes such as the Pentax 500FTZ, Vivitar 285HV and a few others are interesting choices.

Considering all this, I'd recommend the Metz 52 AF-1. I think it's currently the best value on the market, and it's the reason I got one. If you're willing to go used, you can find a Pentax 540FGZ for about the same price. Having owned both, I prefer the Metz however.
02-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I just bought a TTL Bolt flash for my K-3. It... works? I'm not savvy enough with flashes to know if I'm actually lacking anything, but it certainly seems to do the job.

Has its auto mode, tilts, swivels, doesn't underexpose or blow out my subjects. So far I have zero complaints and it cost me about $150. I think it was about $30 off its normal price.

Bolt VS-510P Wireless TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax VS-510P

02-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/288156-sal...ttl-flash.html

Cheap and effective, not uber powerful compared to some but it gets you started.
02-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
As you are in Europe, get secondhand Metz (i.e. on e-auctions.de site) dedicated for Pentax or with proper Pentax module.

-----
Thank you, but I don't know from where to start (which model), for this reason I asked here.

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 11:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Let's consider PTTL flashes, they're the simplest to use ("auto" operation, basically).

----

Metz makes the best value. Better build than Sigma, on par with Pentax, full-featured, easier to use most of the time (especially the touch-screen, menu-driven 52 AF-1).

---

Considering all this, I'd recommend the Metz 52 AF-1. I think it's currently the best value on the market, and it's the reason I got one. If you're willing to go used, you can find a Pentax 540FGZ for about the same price. Having owned both, I prefer the Metz however.
Thank you very much for the long and very useful explanation!
Yes, definitely more automatic is better since I have to learn everything from 0.
I heard about quality of Metz, but again I didn't know which model is good for me.
I am going to check prices of the model you suggested me.
Thanks again!

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I just bought a TTL Bolt flash for my K-3. It... works? I'm not savvy enough with flashes to know if I'm actually lacking anything, but it certainly seems to do the job.

Has its auto mode, tilts, swivels, doesn't underexpose or blow out my subjects. So far I have zero complaints and it cost me about $150. I think it was about $30 off its normal price.

Bolt VS-510P Wireless TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax VS-510P
Thank you!
I will check it too, especially availability and pricing here.

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 11:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/288156-sal...ttl-flash.html

Cheap and effective, not uber powerful compared to some but it gets you started.
Thank you, I will check this too, but shipping to Italy and duties will make it cost for me around 100 dollars, I don't know if it's worth...

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 11:33 AM ----------

Metz 52 af 1 costs 200 euro ;
Metz 44 af 1 costs 150 euro (apart of the touch screen and less power, is there anything else different from the 52 af 1)

Used I have found only a metz 50 (but I don't know how it is)

What about Yongnuo? I see more affordable prices, but I imagine that the quality / functions are worse too, right?
02-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Metz 52 af 1 costs 200 euro ;
Metz 44 af 1 costs 150 euro (apart of the touch screen and less power, is there anything else different from the 52 af 1)
More options in the 52, for wireless, high speed sync, etc. More manual controls. a screen to inform you of the current parameters. Much more options and settings. the 44 will work in PTTL, but it won't really let you experiment, learn, adjust things easily. It,s a basic flash. the 52 is a high-end flash, with almost all the features one could wish for available. It's also more powerful which means that when you don't use full power, the recycle time is likely to be shorter.

I'd say it's worth the 50E difference if you can afford it.

What about Yongnuo? I see more affordable prices, but I imagine that the quality / functions are worse too, right?
These flashes are good, but fully manual.

02-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Comparison of P-ttl flashes:

The site is a bit dated but the best source still around.

Feature Tables - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

The one I linked looks like it sold so that's no longer in the running...
02-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

my advice is just opposite. Forget PTTL, at lest I newer use it anymore. Get powerful manual flash and radiocontrols. I recommend Yongnuo 560 flash. I believe version 3 have build in radioreceiver so need also one corresponding radiotrigger.
02-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More options in the 52, for wireless, high speed sync, etc. More manual controls. a screen to inform you of the current parameters. Much more options and settings. the 44 will work in PTTL, but it won't really let you experiment, learn, adjust things easily. It,s a basic flash. the 52 is a high-end flash, with almost all the features one could wish for available. It's also more powerful which means that when you don't use full power, the recycle time is likely to be shorter.

I'd say it's worth the 50E difference if you can afford it.

These flashes are good, but fully manual.
Thank you again. The budget I wanted to invest was 100 euro and the 52 is 200.
But what I have learned in photography is that often if you spend less, you finish spending more. What I mean is that if I buy a cheap flash now, let's say 100 euro, maybe in few months I will buy the other one of 200, so in total I would spend 300. So, I think that it is better to follow your advice and buy the 52 af 1 now. In the end, if for some reason I will stop to use it, I can always sell it quickly.
Thank you very much!

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 12:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Comparison of P-ttl flashes:

The site is a bit dated but the best source still around.

Feature Tables - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

The one I linked looks like it sold so that's no longer in the running...
Very useful, bookmarked! thank you

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
my advice is just opposite. Forget PTTL, at lest I newer use it anymore. Get powerful manual flash and radiocontrols. I recommend Yongnuo 560 flash. I believe version 3 have build in radioreceiver so need also one corresponding radiotrigger.
For the moment I think that for me is better PTTL, maybe not in the future but at the moment is the easiest way to start. Thank you.

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 01:03 PM ----------

Last question : if I get the Metz 52 af 1, in case I will upgrade the body (to k5IIs or k3,I am not talking about ks2 and newer), would it work with them?
02-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

But what I have learned in photography is that often if you spend less, you finish spending more.
That is true, I believe (I also learned by experience). However sometimes you simply don't have the money

Thank you very much!
A pleasure.

For the moment I think that for me is better PTTL, maybe not in the future but at the moment is the easiest way to start. Thank you.
what's interesting is that a flash such as the 52 also has all the manual modes you can wish for, more so than some manual flashes... And it can be triggered optically (detecting another flash firing nearby).

My studio setup is made of three Godox v850 and a Metz 52. Works very well.

Last question : if I get the Metz 52 af 1, in case I will upgrade the body (to k5IIs or k3,I am not talking about ks2 and newer), would it work with them?
Yes, in theory it will work with every PTTL compatible camera. What's more, Metz is one of the few (maybe the only) company offering a USB port for firmware updates for their flashes. The 52 was updated recently to correct a bug happening in some wireless situations (rare) and improve a few details. They are serious about maintaining their products.
02-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I hope U not mind me saying this but cos I happend to own also few mets flashes including 58AF2, manual flashes are more easiest and better way with pentax. There is only flash power and direction (sometimes zoom too) to adjust and no need to waste time with tecnical problems. but this is just my personal opinion anyway.
02-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is true, I believe (I also learned by experience). However sometimes you simply don't have the money
I know, usually I am exactly in this situation. What I meant is that, by personal experience, you can spend less if you buy directly something
good" for you. So, I waited for months to buy a 18-135mm, since every other similar cheap lens I have tried (eg tamron 28-200) was very bad. In the end I got it and now I have to sell others
what's interesting is that a flash such as the 52 also has all the manual modes you can wish for, more so than some manual flashes... And it can be triggered optically (detecting another flash firing nearby).

My studio setup is made of three Godox v850 and a Metz 52. Works very well.
This is very good, since when I will have practiced enough I could
switch to manual mode to experiment new things.

Yes, in theory it will work with every PTTL compatible camera. What's more, Metz is one of the few (maybe the only) company offering a USB port for firmware updates for their flashes. The 52 was updated recently to correct a bug happening in some wireless situations (rare) and improve a few details. They are serious about maintaining their products.
Perfect! For sure I will not have the budget for full frame or any other new camera, but I think that it will be full of k5IIs and k3 second hand very soon, and maybe I could upgrade the body!

Really thank you for everything!!

---------- Post added 02-13-15 at 08:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
I hope U not mind me saying this but cos I happend to own also few mets flashes including 58AF2, manual flashes are more easiest and better way with pentax. There is only flash power and direction (sometimes zoom too) to adjust and no need to waste time with tecnical problems. but this is just my personal opinion anyway.
Absolutely not, I am thankful for every kind of opinion I got. Obviously everyone has his experiences and maybe different advices. The good thing is that if I will not feel ok with the Metz, I can sell it quickly and get a manual one for cheap! thank you for the explanation!