Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wireless Flash suggestions please

Hi all,
I have AF-540 FGZ flash that I picked up used at a great price with only one issue, the wireless does not work on it. I rarely use the flash so was not overly concerned there and if I did, it would be mounted on the camera. Since then I have found an application that a wireless flash would be useful on. If I wanted to make use of this wirelessly with my K3 or K20D, any suggestions for adds on wireless triggers I can use that are compatible.

Thanks in advance,
Al

02-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you mean that it doesn't work in wireless P-TTL or that it also doesn't work as a manual slave ? If it's only the P-TTL mode, maybe it just a configuration issue... I haven't work with the 540, but I have the 360 and it's a bit awkward to set up the wireless P-TTL initially and to know all the tricks that aren't all in the instruction booklet...
02-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The problem appears to be the wireless button M/C/S when depressed it does nothing so I can't even select slave or control on it.

Thanks,
al

Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-14-2015 at 11:57 AM.
02-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What "S" mode are you in?

manual K, M, or adapted M42 lenses need the flash set to S2, and the flash will fire wirelessly in Manual as an optical slave.
With an A / F / FA / DA lens you can operate in P-TTL and A modes wirelessly in S1. You will have to ensure the flash is set to the correct channel (1-4). The manual can be a bit cryptic, but Gary Fong has a great YouTube clip with instructions on how to with a K5 and AF 540 FGZ and AF360FGZ.

Any of the cheap Chinese triggers will fire it in M and A modes, but most will not "wake" it up.

02-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
You could use a Cactus V6. The problem is you would have to get 2, one to mount onto the camera to act as the commander and one to mount the flash to which would be the receiver.
02-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
What "S" mode are you in?

manual K, M, or adapted M42 lenses need the flash set to S2, and the flash will fire wirelessly in Manual as an optical slave.
With an A / F / FA / DA lens you can operate in P-TTL and A modes wirelessly in S1. You will have to ensure the flash is set to the correct channel (1-4). The manual can be a bit cryptic, but Gary Fong has a great YouTube clip with instructions on how to with a K5 and AF 540 FGZ and AF360FGZ.

Any of the cheap Chinese triggers will fire it in M and A modes, but most will not "wake" it up.
Thanks! Your right, that the manual is cryptic! That Gary Fong YouTube was excellent. Unfortunately it confirmed for me that the problem is the off/wireless/on switch on the flash. Its broken...I can go from off to on, but it just slips thru the wireless selector so I can't select anything for wireless. I'm tempted to take it apart but its not worth the trouble...so I guess my options are an external trigger if I want to use this wirelessly.

thanks for the tips,
al

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 12:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dborked Quote
You could use a Cactus V6. The problem is you would have to get 2, one to mount onto the camera to act as the commander and one to mount the flash to which would be the receiver.
Thanks for the tip here.. looks like a good trigger, but its a tad pricey since I'd need 2. I may just try one of the cheap triggers and see how they work.

Thanks again,
al
02-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have the on/off switch in the middle position, for wireless? It has to be there for the button to work.

02-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Do you have the on/off switch in the middle position, for wireless? It has to be there for the button to work.
Hi Mike,
I can't. The switch is broken.. It just goes from off to on so I have no control over the wireless functions.
thanks,
al

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 01:58 PM ----------

I just ordered a set of cheap triggers for the flash, says it works with the AF540 and looks like it meets my needs, so we will see. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone...let you know how I make out.

al
02-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds weird, but have you tried taping it in the middle position?
02-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #10

Radio-triggers and flash sleep-mode?

The question is if radio trigger wakes-up the flash from its sleep mode.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
so I guess my options are an external trigger if I want to use this wirelessly.
02-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Thanks for the tip here.. looks like a good trigger, but its a tad pricey since I'd need 2. I may just try one of the cheap triggers and see how they work.
Any cheap trigger will work but the V6 are the only ones that you can use to remote control the power level of your flash. The latter is so convenient and so much quicker, it is definitely worth paying extra for.

BTW, I don't think you need to be concerned regarding wake-up functionality because IIRC, you can turn off sleep mode activation with your model. The 360 is a problem in that regard.