Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it worthy it (Metz 40 MZ3)

I am looking to experiment with flash photography mainly with portraiture. A friend is selling a used Metz 40 MZ3 for about $ 100. I currently own a Pentax K-r and wondering whether it is worth buying the flash and if not what other options may be available within the same price range...

02-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by juacali Quote
I am looking to experiment with flash photography mainly with portraiture. A friend is selling a used Metz 40 MZ3 for about $ 100. I currently own a Pentax K-r and wondering whether it is worth buying the flash and if not what other options may be available within the same price range...
The simple answer is, no.
It was a nice flash in the film days, but has no pTTL.

Go for the Metz 44 af1. Its smaller, easy to use, and you can use it as a slave for your digital Pentax.
A brand new one, will cost you app, 200$

Best regards
Rune
02-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

No p-TTL, but Metz 40 MZ3 is a very good flash. It was built to last.

If it has the SCA-3701 module attached, I'd pay $60. If it has any other SCA module, I'd pay $40.

This thread, starting from end of page 1, has a discussion on a bug of the Metz 40.

Last edited by SOldBear; 02-16-2015 at 08:29 PM.
03-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
If I may add - a couple of years ago I bought a Metz MZ40-2, and found a couple of other adapter bits and pieces to enhance it - the SCA3701M2 and the SCA3007m rangefinder illuminator. I mount the lot on a Cullman bracket, with the flashbody off to the left.
The whole kit is really nice to use with my K10 and K20, but doesn't do P-TTL. No great loss, as when I simply set the Metz in 'A', the camera in 'P' and it's pretty much a point and shoot, as sufficient comms are going on between the two units for good exposure on nearly every occasion. The flash responds to the lens zoom and sets the flash zoom, the aperture displays on the Metz panel, and the other parameters available to fiddle with are a joy to tinker with. Oh, and the 'flash ready' light shows in the viewfinder, which is nice. Sure, there are times when P-TTL would be better and nice to have, but for a total of less than €100 I have a top-notch outfit that does what I want it to do and who knows, some day Metz might bring out a firmware upgrade for the adapter, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that one.
I also have the CT-45 hammerhead, and that's an impressive beast but overkill for the majority of situations. However, it can be used with delicacy and provides a very nice fill when dialed down in power, as well as being a light cannon when needed.
If you want to pick up some very nice, top-notch kit for not a lot of cash, consider a couple of used Metzes. Many former users think they really really need the latest gear, but I know I don't.