Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I believe that's what he did with the toilet paper tube since one of the tools mentioned is "aluminum foil" (and yes he will need to do that).
And the pringles tubes are even better since inside they are reflective already and there is no need to use aluminum foil.
I had already caught the part about the Pringles tube and edited my post. I haven't had a Pringles in a while and forgot what the inside was like. Lining a paper roll might be a bit tedious.

02-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A snoot doesn't (or toilet paper roll) redirect light but concentrates it in a small area and having some sort of diffuser material softens the light and makes it less harsh. This is the opposite of the large softbox type diffusers that spread light out over a large area. It's also possible to make something like that to work with the flip up flash but you would need a small cardboard box instead of a TP roll. Just about any of those flash gizmos made by Lumiquest and Sto-fen can easily be made at home. Even a paper towel over a flash makes a pretty good diffuser in a pinch.
02-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I had already caught the part about the Pringles tube and edited my post. I haven't had a Pringles in a while and forgot what the inside was like. Lining a paper roll might be a bit tedious.
All good!

I don't like Pringles, but you can make some cool projects with those tubes .
I've been building my own box diffusers for a while now and I've used those tubes in the past with some very good results.

For the paper roll, it works very well and fast if you use aluminum foil tape. Sometimes you can find it for cheaper that a Pringles tube .
02-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I originally posted this just as proof that results can come out of basically paying for nothing (aside from the TP that you'd already have...)

I didn't want to go out in the snow at that time for pringles cans so the TP roll worked fine. And yes I had to line it with aluminum foil, but that wasn't hard, just roll it up slide it in and press it to the ends. Done!

I agree with most here that there are better ways of doing this, but in a pinch almost anything cylindrical and reflective will work!
I just love seeing all the ideas coming out of people here! It's great for beginner photographers on VERY tight budgets like myself to know that you don't need to be discouraged by pricetags!

Right out of college and paying student loans, many of us starting out simply have cheap tubes and legacy lenses to get by for the time being. All hacks are welcomed!

Lets keep the ideas rolling... Maybe we should merge this thread with another (if it exists?). I'd love to see a thread on-going for DIY Hackers to post their latest engineering projects!

02-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
^The onboard flash can adjust -2.0/+1.0... But I don't see a difference. I'm also new to the DSLR world so I may have no idea what I'm talking about
I don't know what I'm talking about either, since I don't have a K-30, but I've read that those adjustments only work with recent lenses (with which you can shoot P-TTL), and that with old lenses in full manual mode, the flash always fires at full power regardless of that setting. On the K-3, with a full manual lens, you can set the flash anywhere from full to 1/128th power. This is pretty cool for macro but also because it means you can use the onboard to set off an optical slave flash while also making sure that the onboard won't contribute much to the exposure.
02-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I don't know what I'm talking about either, since I don't have a K-30, but I've read that those adjustments only work with recent lenses (with which you can shoot P-TTL), and that with old lenses in full manual mode, the flash always fires at full power regardless of that setting. On the K-3, with a full manual lens, you can set the flash anywhere from full to 1/128th power. This is pretty cool for macro but also because it means you can use the onboard to set off an optical slave flash while also making sure that the onboard won't contribute much to the exposure.

One more reason I want the K3!

Thanks for making my wallet cringe lol

I just picked up a Yongnuo 560IV and about to get another to use as dual flash/fill or transceiver.

Should help with Full Power issues for the time being. I just love shooting all manual lenses. Feels raw. Feels right!