Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 04:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

First studio kit - how low can I go?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This is a rather open ended question. I am looking to buy my first studio lights to experiment with that. I am not looking for anything pro, but what are the catches with the cheaper kits. It will be used for product photography and when I am comfortable with that some studio portraits of friends and families. At that time I will be ok upgrading if that's called for. I don't want something that wont keeping stand upright on a level floor, however I don't need 500w systems build like a tank.

I would really like to hear something like: I bought this cheapish stuff and these are its disadvantages.

Thanks

02-23-2015, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes I am using a halogen 500w projector:

---------- Post added 02-23-15 at 04:35 PM ----------

Just for reference, spectrums of light sources:
02-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
Just for reference, spectrums of light sources:
Thanks for the histograms. Where did they come from?

I wonder if you can photograph a light source and use the camera generated historgram as a guide - I'm thinking in particular of LED lights which can run the color spectrum.
02-23-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The cheapest kit still worth your while, if you don'T want to cook your models with 500w lights :P is probably a Yongnuo kit. The flashes are cheap, they work well enough, the new versions have built-in radio triggers. You could use them as long as they work, they are not bad really.

You could also find used flashes, such as Vivitar 285HV, Pentax 500FTZ, and such. They might not be cheaper than the Yongnuos, you'll still have to find triggers for them, and they will be dumb triggers (no power control for instance). They will have other drawbacks (for instance the 500FTZ has an auto-off function that cannot be disabled, if left idle it will turn off.

Moving to more expensive stuff, you get the Cactus system, with the RF60 flash and V6 transmitter. Nothing to complain here, it's an excellent system, and the V6 can be used as a "TTL emulator" (for lack of a better word) with many models of flashes. It offers you the most remote control features around, bar none.

The drawback of all these systems is that they use AA batteries. That's why I went with another option : the Godox (or Neewer) v850 flash. Cost is similar to Cactus once you buy triggers, you can control power remotely, but what drew me to them is the power and fast recycle time of the Li-ion battery that's included.

That's an overview of what is available to you. Going with older flashes can be the most economical if you find flashes at very good prices, otherwise there are better options.

02-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a cheap incandescent constant lighting set up at work, probably ten years ago. They are still going strong, but they are seldom moved. I doubt you would find many incandescent studio lights today, more florescent or LED, which are much higher priced.
02-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can take one of two routes: hot shoe flashes used off camera or studio strobes.

Advantages of studio strobes include:
More powerful than speedlights.
Modeling lights enable you to see the lighting on your subject before firing the flash.
Many have optical slaves built in.

Disadvantages include:
More expensive.
Have to be plugged in, or buy external battery pack for location or outdoor use.
Cannot be used on camera.

Don't know where you live, but if in the US I would recommend Paul Buff Alienbees.

Advantages of speedlights include:
Lighter, more portable, less expensive.
Can be used on camera.

Disadvantages include:
No modeling lights.
Not as powerful.

I use Nikon SB-25s and -26s. The SB-26 has a built in optical slave. And, they can be used on camera in auto mode, A very nice benefit.

I personally would not use continuous lights, especially for portraits.

Last edited by MPrince; 02-23-2015 at 10:55 AM.
02-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Some nice and cheap beginner kits can be found here:
Continuous lighting uses Compact fluorescent light bulbs

02-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Some nice and cheap beginner kits can be found here:
Continuous lighting uses Compact fluorescent light bulbs
Those won't throw a lot of light at the subject. I did a photo workshop a couple of years ago with fluorescents in soft boxes the size of card tables and I was shooting ISO 400, 1/60, F3.2

Those kits will throw much less light.

On the cheap I'd go Yongnuo. Three of them, some lightstands, soft boxes, and umbrellas and you've got a good starter kit for ~$350.
02-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Those won't throw a lot of light at the subject. I did a photo workshop a couple of years ago with fluorescents in soft boxes the size of card tables and I was shooting ISO 400, 1/60, F3.2
absolutely agree, I purchased cheap 3 way soft box kit with 5 CFs in each box, and a single more powerful tube in the overhead and was quite suprised at the ISO I had to use to get reasonable shutter speeds, they are not as bright as you may think, also white balance can be difficult, setting the camera to 5500K (as the lights specify) the shots still have a yellow / greenish look to them and not very flattering for portraits, on my K30 there are 3 Flouresent tube WB settings, one of which was reasonable but I found I was always tinkering with white balance in post. I use optically triggered strobes into reflector umbrellas triggered by bounce flash on the camera, seems to work well and colours look natural.
02-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Thanks for the histograms. Where did they come from?

I wonder if you can photograph a light source and use the camera generated historgram as a guide - I'm thinking in particular of LED lights which can run the color spectrum.
This histograms from Housecraft: DIY House, Garden and Interior Design - DIY House, Garden and Interior Design. I think led lights having the spectrum close to daylight are quite expensive.
02-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Those won't throw a lot of light at the subject.
Bulbs can be changed with something more powerful and better if needed. As a start up kit, for the price it goes, is not a bad option at all.
Yongnuo is a good setup as well, but you dish out triple the price over the price of that set... flashes (at least 2 of them), triggers/receivers and then you still have to buy the extra stands, umbrellas/soft boxes.

As a matter of fact, get the kit that I have linked (or similar from others), experiment with it to learn light control and then when you are ready to upgrade, get the Yongnuo flashes setup - you will still be able to use your studio kit with the flashes - just replace the continuous lights with your flashes.
02-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
It will be used for product photography and when I am comfortable with that some studio portraits of friends and families. At that time I will be ok upgrading if that's called for.
With this initial goal the cheapo continuous kits are fine, as long as the included stands are sturdy and you have a reasonably dark 'studio' to us them in. The low light output would be frustrating/limiting for moving targets, but for products you have the luxury of a tripod. Upgrade to small flash units if/when you move to portraits.

How large are the products you plan to shoot?
02-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay. I am leaning towards something like this:
540w Studio Flash Lighting set Photography Strobe light 3 x 180w Portrait Kit UK | eBay or this:
NEW Digital 900W Studio Flash Lighting set Photography Strobe light Portrait Kit | eBay

But, I mean, it is not TOO cheap?

My main subjects in the beginning will be watches and food.

I live in Denmark btw. and I recently bought one the Yongnuo flashes that I can throw into the mix. I am fortunate that some of my friends have actually stated interest in modelling, so now I need to get in gear!
02-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Okay. I am leaning towards something like this:
540w Studio Flash Lighting set Photography Strobe light 3 x 180w Portrait Kit UK | eBay or this:
NEW Digital 900W Studio Flash Lighting set Photography Strobe light Portrait Kit | eBay

But, I mean, it is not TOO cheap?

My main subjects in the beginning will be watches and food.
Will be hard to give an advice on those lights since I don't know how good the quality is (how long will they last!? how is the light they give!?). You are always taking a chance when you buy things like this from ebay, but if you know someone who used them and likes them and stands by them, I guess they should be OK.

Price wise, considering the components of the kit, that is a very, very good price... maybe too good!? Hard to say...

If you do get them, come back and let us know how are they. I'm always looking for cheap stuff that works well .

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-24-2015 at 08:51 AM.