Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yongnuo 560 IV: Slides off mount...

Anyone else having issues with this?

I just received my Yongnuo 560 IV flash in the mail and threw it on my K-30 hot shoe mount...
After screwing it on (there's a little wheel to lock it in place) it could wiggle left and right still. The flash doesn't slide off on its own, but with a little encouragement it will come off, even after tightening the wheel all the way down.

It seems like the bottom of the tightening wheel is plastic, and doesn't provide enough grip for the hot shoe to hang on to.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Is my copy missing a rubber gasket of some sort?

I will try to take pictures of it tonight when I get off work, but I'm thinking of putting electrical tape on the bottom of the tightening wheel so help it grip better...?
Is this just a horrible design flaw?

02-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No, usually this is sort of normal for these flashes.
Remember they do not actually make them for Pentax, they target the other brands (Canikons), so fitment is usually not the best.

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-25-2015 at 09:09 AM.
02-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
No, usually this is sort of a normal for these flashes.
Remember they do not actually make them for Pentax, they target the other brands (Canikons), so fitment is usually not the best.
Thanks for the response!

So have you had experience remedying this issue?
If it's a normal occurrence, I'd assume there are DIY modifications for help fit more snug.
02-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Thanks for the response!

So have you had experience remedying this issue?
If it's a normal occurrence, I'd assume there are DIY modifications for help fit more snug.
I didn't bother much to be honest.

Personally I rarely put the flashes on the cameras. I dislike having a huge flash on top of the camera so I usually use them off camera with triggers / receivers or use the on-board flash to optically trigger the flashes. Each flash I have has a receiver and flash stand on them constantly.

Having the flash off camera will also give you better control over the light with different results that some consider better than having the flash on the camera always.

I guess you could try and add some tape on the sides of the flash mount to make it more snug.
Another thing you could try is to use some fine sand paper and sand a little the mounting faces of the flash to make them less slippery and increase the friction...

02-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't bother much to be honest.

Personally I rarely put the flashes on the cameras. I dislike having a huge flash on top of the camera so I usually use them off camera with triggers / receivers or use the on-board flash to optically trigger the flashes. Each flash I have has a receiver and flash stand on them constantly.

Having the flash off camera will also give you better control over the light with different results that some consider better than having the flash on the camera always.

I guess you could try and add some tape on the sides of the flash mount to make it more snug.
Another thing you could try is to use some fine sand paper and sand a little the mounting faces of the flash to make them less slippery and increase the friction...
Good idea...

I'm holding off to buy a transceiver, but I would like to use the flash off-camera eventually.
Just need to make the purchase...
02-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone else having issues with this?

I just received my Yongnuo 560 IV flash in the mail and threw it on my K-30 hot shoe mount...
After screwing it on (there's a little wheel to lock it in place) it could wiggle left and right still. The flash doesn't slide off on its own, but with a little encouragement it will come off, even after tightening the wheel all the way down.

It seems like the bottom of the tightening wheel is plastic, and doesn't provide enough grip for the hot shoe to hang on to.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Is my copy missing a rubber gasket of some sort?

I will try to take pictures of it tonight when I get off work, but I'm thinking of putting electrical tape on the bottom of the tightening wheel so help it grip better...?
Is this just a horrible design flaw?
I do not have this issue with mine. Doesn't mean there isn't an issue with quality control. They are a very economical beast so they need to cut corners somewhere.....
02-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My Yongnuo 560 III sits quite loosely in the flash mount as well. A little disconcerting but likely a matter of production tolerances. I should exchange mine, but I'll probably just keep it and complain about it for the next 10 years lol.

02-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
My Yongnuo 560 III sits quite loosely in the flash mount as well. A little disconcerting but likely a matter of production tolerances. I should exchange mine, but I'll probably just keep it and complain about it for the next 10 years lol.
That you expect your $100 flash to last for "the next 10 years" says much. Easy to suffer through things like this.
02-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
That you expect your $100 flash to last for "the next 10 years" says much. Easy to suffer through things like this.
They are surprisingly well-made. Sturdier feeling than my Metz 58 AF-1
02-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
They are surprisingly well-made. Sturdier feeling than my Metz 58 AF-1
I haven't even had a chance to really play around with it, but I can already tell it's worth the $70 I paid...

The fact that the entire line is well-priced and for under $500 I could shoot an entire wedding reception with a 100m range in all directions is pretty remarkable!

And don't we all shoot manual anyways?!

EDIT: Something I always like to tell me friends that have $3000-$5000 setups with Canikon...
The person paying for the finished product 99.999% of the time could care less what equipment was used; they just want the finished product.

I can out perform my friend on her 5DMarkIII with my K-30. I'm not saying everytime... But with most shots the average person cannot tell the difference!
The bride and groom of your wedding shoot is most likely not pixel-peeping... The parent that wants the family photo done could care less if the flash is Chinese...(unless you've got very racist clients?)

Point being, a lot of people give us crap for using lower-end gear. Not sure why, maybe they are jealous that other companies are making comparable products at 1/3 the price?

Last edited by UserAccessDenied; 02-25-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Addition
02-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I haven't even had a chance to really play around with it, but I can already tell it's worth the $70 I paid...

The fact that the entire line is well-priced and for under $500 I could shoot an entire wedding reception with a 100m range in all directions is pretty remarkable!

And don't we all shoot manual anyways?!

EDIT: Something I always like to tell me friends that have $3000-$5000 setups with Canikon...
The person paying for the finished product 99.999% of the time could care less what equipment was used; they just want the finished product.

I can out perform my friend on her 5DMarkIII with my K-30. I'm not saying everytime... But with most shots the average person cannot tell the difference!
The bride and groom of your wedding shoot is most likely not pixel-peeping... The parent that wants the family photo done could care less if the flash is Chinese...(unless you've got very racist clients?)

Point being, a lot of people give us crap for using lower-end gear. Not sure why, maybe they are jealous that other companies are making comparable products at 1/3 the price?

It also proves how much overpriced the "brand" ones are...
02-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It also proves how much overpriced the "brand" ones are...
haha well I just got home and realized my copy was defective [beyond the mounting issue I have...]

Put in a fresh pack of batteries, got one shutter off at 1/128 105mm and the flash indicated low battery and shut-down.

I was pondering about what happened and figured batteries were bad.

Went out and purchased a fresh 4 Alkaline batteries... SAME thing happens again.

This flash is being returned tomorrow and hopefully it's from a bad batch or something?

I've heard such good things about this flash, I really hope I can get a good copy on my next order.
02-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I am looking at picking up the 560 IV. I haven't heard a lot about them yet so i was holding off heck there isn't even a review on it here (HINT HINT). Other than yours being a bad copy is this a good flash for a 1st flash has all the features but lacks P-ttl. Do i really need it? I don't have P-ttl now because i don't have a flash so i wouldn't miss it, But would i need it IDK.
02-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

pTTL and auto-thyristor modes make life a lot easier. If you want to react quickly, manual is, in my opinion, not the way to go. If you have all the time in the world to set up the shot, it's a matter of a calculation or looking at a cheatsheet (that you have to make yourself).

There is one simple formula (for non bounce flash)
aperture = gn / subject distance

With a zoom head on a flash, the gn is affected by the zoom position so you have to recalculate. If subject distance changes, you have to recalculate.
I'm not against manual flash, but the other modes make life easier.
04-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #15

Would an O-ring work if you slid it up over the shoe on the flash so it took up the space under the wheel ?