Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Why not? Do you fear what other people think of your camera equipment? Will you be forced to move to a tiny island in the Pacific because of all the mockery and ridicule received, not being taken seriously for the rest of your life? Phew...
People point and laugh at me now. Little children run to their mothers arms in fear. I can only imagine what terrible consequences await for me if I'm seen with such a hideous contraption dangling from my K-3.

03-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #32
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
People point and laugh at me now. Little children run to their mothers arms in fear. I can only imagine what terrible consequences await for me if I'm seen with such a hideous contraption dangling from my K-3.
Well then.. you shouldn't really be concerned if they are already doing that. Besides, you can always spray paint it black..
03-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #33

Gee aren't you afraid to be seen in public with a non-Canon/Nikon DSLR too?

I'm getting the feeling you won't be happy with any flash unit you buy. If you get the AF0160C you'll be wondering if the Sigma or Metz was just as good at a lower price. If you get the Metz or Sigma you'll be wondering if spending the extra money for the Pentax would have gotten you a better flash... on and on. You sure you want to stick with Pentax cameras at this point?
03-27-2015, 03:04 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you get the AF0160C you'll be wondering if the Sigma or Metz was just as good at a lower price.
They aren't, in terms of light quality they are very similar and neither of them hold a candle to the AF160FC.

03-27-2015, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You sure you want to stick with Pentax cameras at this point?
Please forgive me...and correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting because I refuse to walk around town with a black spray painted pringles can duct taped to my camera or the fact that I refuse to attach what looks like spark plug wires stolen for a 57' Edsel that in some mysterious way I hate Pentax camera's? LOL. Unless of course your trying to be funny and I missed it. You know sometimes it's difficult to see dry humor on a forum...me included. I apologize, I was just trying to inject some humor into this conversation but apparently it missed the mark.

As noted in a previous post, I purchased the SunPak unit and I am thrilled with it. I think the pictures look awesome, and if Digitalis is the only one who can tell the difference between it and the Pentax version, well I'm good with that. The Sunpak looks great on the camera too by the way I am not shooting to make money so having saved over $400 and being able to apply it towards the new Pentax HD TC 1.4 is an added bonus.

Another FA 100 2.8 Macro with Sunpak ring flash gratuitous shot.

03-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Or like one of those you make from craft foam found at the local walllymartworld:

(That Pentaxian is just playing around with my foamy and his 31mm, but it works best for 90-120mm macros)

good lord is that an ancient photo...

03-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
good lord is that an ancient photo...

You can buy them cheaper now than you can make them. I picked up one on BHphotovideo special daily deals for $12 and it included the velcro cinch strap FREE.

07-08-2015, 05:50 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Sunpak ring now, and am obtaining the Pentax module. If I read correctly, this flash is safe on the camera, correct? I need to dig into the specs, I suppose, and do some learning.

If it requires the sync cable and off camera hotshoe F etc. then maybe it's not worth the cost for all that.
07-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #39

The trigger voltage should be safe for Pentax. It should fit into the hot shoe without additional cables or adapters. The Pentax module is TTL only so the flash will only operate in auto and manual modes. The Pentax module will set the flash sync speed though. Other modules will not set the sync speed but will work in auto and manual mode,
07-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool. I found a module on the Ebay for under $20, so I will be able to use this as fully as possible.
07-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I have a Sunpak ring now, and am obtaining the Pentax module. If I read correctly, this flash is safe on the camera, correct? I need to dig into the specs, I suppose, and do some learning.

If it requires the sync cable and off camera hotshoe F etc. then maybe it's not worth the cost for all that.
Yep. Flash is safe on this camera. I use it all the time on my K3.
07-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #42

With the Pentax module in Av mode the flash will set the shutter speed to 180th sec. With the flash in auto mode set the aperture to the indicated f-stop on the back of the flash unit depending on the power setting. In manual mode the f-stop would be determined by the distance to the subject. With a 100mm 1:1 macro I find f/11 at ISO 100 a good starting point in auto mode and at 1/16th power in manual mode with my Lester Dine (Nissin) ring flash which has a similar GN as the Sunpak.
07-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. I was looking at the calculator slider on the flash back. It's been a long time since I've done full manual flash on my Dad's old Minolta. The early 1980s, to be precise. I'll probably start in Av mode and see if the flash will meter well.

It will take some practice, which isn't a bad thing.
07-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #44

You can play with it now in X mode. The main drawback is the auto sensor is on the flash foot - it may have been more useful on the ring. However you can get very good results as it is. You quickly learn to judge what f-stops to use based on the background and reflectance of the subject.