Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do I "need" a Macro Ring Flash?

I just purchased a Pentax FA 100 2.8 Macro lens and plan on shooting bugs with it this Spring. Do I really need a Macro Ring flash or can I get by with my Metz 44? If I do need a ring flash, the SUNPAK DX 8R RING FLASH looks like a viable option.

Last edited by Driline; 03-09-2015 at 11:11 AM.
03-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My answer was yes.

With a TTL DSLR *istD I bought one.

In the PTTL age I bought another one. Check my sig.
03-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

Yes, you can probably get by with your Metz flash. The major concern is getting the light where you need it on the subject. There are various flash brackets or arms (articulated or not) that will allow you do direct the flash. Shoe mount flashes are simply not designed for such close ranges. You'll need an off camera cable or wireless trigger. Diffusion is highly recommended. You can buy a a diffuser or DIY one easily.

Ring flashes are useful but often cannot be used at high magnification - simply not enough room between the subject and the ring. And unless the ring has multiple tubes that can be switched off the lighting will be flat which may not be desirable.

However the Sunpak can be gotten at low enough prices it may be worth picking one up to try out. They are worth having for ease of use.

Last edited by Not a Number; 03-09-2015 at 11:15 AM.
03-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, you can probably get by with your Metz flash. The major concern is getting the light where you need it on the subject. There are various flash brackets or arms (articulated or not) that will allow you do direct the flash. Shoe mount flashes are simply not designed for such close ranges. You'll need an off camera cable or wireless trigger. Diffusion is highly recommended. You can buy a a diffuser or DIY one easily.

Ring flashes are useful but often cannot be used at high magnification - simply not enough room between the subject and the ring. And unless the ring has multiple tubes that can be switched off the lighting will be flat which may not be desirable.

However the Sunpak can be gotten at low enough prices it may be worth picking one up to try out. They are worth having for ease of use.
Diffusion, like one of those cheap soft boxes you place over the flash?

03-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Or like one of those you make from craft foam found at the local walllymartworld:

(That Pentaxian is just playing around with my foamy and his 31mm, but it works best for 90-120mm macros)

Last edited by panoguy; 03-09-2015 at 12:05 PM.
03-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Like this guy?

03-09-2015, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #7

Yes, I bought a folding octagonal one made by Fotodiox from Amazon. I had rewards points on my Amex card so why not? It is pretty decent.

or the DIY route:

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Or like one those ones you make from craft foam found at the local walllymartworld:
If you have a Dollar Store (or the like) you can usually buy white foam core board there.

Thomas Shahan prefers the DIY method these videos show one diffuser he made with an old Goldfish cracker package and paper towel and the other is one made from a paper towel laminated between two pieces of clear plastic!

03-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Thomas Shahan prefers the DIY method these videos show one diffuser he made with an old Goldfish cracker package and paper towel and the other is one made from a paper towel laminated between two pieces of clear plastic!
Well, Thomas Shahan can probably take a broken, plastic Lomo and an old flashlight and create magic. He isn't called "the Bob Ross of insect photography" for nothing!

You can look in the eyes of his spiders to see what kind of diffuser he's using for each shot, but I don't think he pre-plans his lighting at all. Just shoots and shoots and shoots...
03-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #9

A ring flash is really nice to have.

Without a ring flash you can set up some very nice lighting, usually involving two flashes, diffusers and brackets. With a lot of patience you can yield great photos with these set ups.

On the other hand, with little effort you can get ~90% or more of the greatness using the Pentax AF160FC ring flash just running-n-gunning. I'm lazy, so thats what I do most of the time. Photos below were all shot handheld.

The AF160FC is a stellar piece of kit. Not sure about other ring flashes

03-09-2015, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Polaroid branded macro flash ring. It's nothing special or spectacular compared to what else is on the market but it works very well and expanded my photography. The illumination opened up new subjects for me. I also discovered that I can hand hold it and use it as a remote light source. It's just the right size!

I would say get one! Mine was like $40 - $50. That's just cheap entertainment that lasts a long time!
03-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have a Polaroid branded macro flash ring. It's nothing special or spectacular compared to what else is on the market but it works very well and expanded my photography. The illumination opened up new subjects for me. I also discovered that I can hand hold it and use it as a remote light source. It's just the right size!

I would say get one! Mine was like $40 - $50. That's just cheap entertainment that lasts a long time!
I like your thinking!
03-09-2015, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use ringflash quite a bit, mainly because it is excellent for filling in harsh shadows. The Pentax AF160FC has a very diffused light quality, which makes it superb for this purpose, also portraits are also rendered very nicely with this flash. There are many other third party makers of ringflashes but none of them really produce results like the AF160FC can.

Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX DG - Wireless AF540 triggered by a Pentax AF160FC ringflash.

Pentax K5IIs- Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED [IF] Macro - AF160FC ringflash.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-09-2015 at 03:45 PM.
03-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I use ringflash quite a bit, mainly because it is excellent for filling in harsh shadows. The Pentax AF160FC has a very diffused light quality, which makes it superb for this purpose, also portraits are also rendered very nicely with this flash. There are many other third party makers of ringflashes but none of them really produce results like the AF160FC can.

Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX DG - Wireless AF540 triggered by a Pentax AF160FC ringflash.

Pentax K5IIs- Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED [IF] Macro - AF160FC ringflash.
If YOU say I need the AF160FC then that's what I'll get. I think you're probably the best advice "columnist" on this forum. Would I be satisfied with the older AF 080C? I know it's manual but I'm up to the challenge. What do you think?
03-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #14

If it is in your budget, go for it! I doubt you will be dissatisfied.
03-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would I be satisfied with the older AF 080C?
I have never worked with one, so I can't really say. I have only worked with a handful of ring-flashes from big studio units made by Elinchrom, to smaller battery powered ones from Nikon, Canon and Pentax.