Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 05:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax ring flash options

Hello All
Im hoping for some advice to help with a small problem I have with using the Pentax ring flash with a Pentax GPS unit.
As the GPS unit sits on the hot shoe the body of the ring flash has to be placed on a flash bracket.
The ring flash has no wireless connection as far as I can see so in order to trigger the flash I use a TTL cord with a double connection on the camera, so it sits on the hot shoe and has another hot shoe on top where the GPS can be attached.
I can also use a simple sync cord but this does not give TTL which is very convenient for macro work and I believe the usual flash trigger units (which I could operate from the camera wireless feature) also not not feature TTL.
The problem lies in the fact that the GPS, on this particular unit does not connect with the camera and so does not record the GPS co-ordinates in the meta data as usual which is essential for the type of images I take.
Does anyone have a suggestion to make that would allow me to use TTL and the GPS
Thanks in advance
Pentaxkev

03-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which TTL cord are you using - are you sure it gives out a double signal?
03-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

Since it sounds like the P-TTL functions work with the flash and the cable then perhaps the problem is in the pass-through connecter of the cable that sits in the hot-shoe of the camera. Clean the contacts with some contact cleaner and a cotton swab. If you have a mult-meter or continuity checker check each pin for continuity. Or try mounting the GPS on the remote end of the cable and the controller for the ring flash on the pass-through shoe.

If the flash function normally in this configuration then perhaps the signals to and from the flash interfere with the signals to and from the GPS unit. Does the GPS work when both the flash and the GPS are connect with the flash turned off?
03-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Which TTL cord are you using - are you sure it gives out a double signal?
Hi Nass
Thanks for the reply, Im not sure of the name it was a generic cheapie off the web.......the TTL works ok with the cord.....the only problem is the GPS......I have a feeling he contacts on he TTL cord are different from the camera.
I forgot to mention that the GPS works perfectly on the camera.

03-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Since it sounds like the P-TTL functions work with the flash and the cable then perhaps the problem is in the pass-through connecter of the cable that sits in the hot-shoe of the camera. Clean the contacts with some contact cleaner and a cotton swab. If you have a mult-meter or continuity checker check each pin for continuity. Or try mounting the GPS on the remote end of the cable and the controller for the ring flash on the pass-through shoe.

If the flash function normally in this configuration then perhaps the signals to and from the flash interfere with the signals to and from the GPS unit. Does the GPS work when both the flash and the GPS are connect with the flash turned off?
Thanks not a number...Ill try all those things although I suspect its a compatibility problem with the TTL cord hot shoe and the GPS....your suggestion would highlight that I think

---------- Post added 03-15-15 at 03:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxkev Quote
Thanks not a number...Ill try all those things although I suspect its a compatibility problem with the TTL cord hot shoe and the GPS....your suggestion would highlight that I think
sorry forgot to the GPS works whether the flash is on or off...just not on the hot shoe of the TTL cord
03-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not believe that a pass though will work with the gps.

Sync cable and loose the TTL is probably your only option. Unless you can get TTL through the flash sync port?
03-19-2015, 12:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax ring flash options

Thanks for your comment Wired....I think your right. I have been trying to find a TTL unit for the sync cable but I doubt it will give me TTL so I might as well stick to the manual system and fiddle the exposure,its not too bad,,,because I do a lot of close up work once the exposure is ok for one image it is usually close for others. The other avenue I thought of was to find a t/l receiver unit that would trigger from the cameras wireless function....ill keep looking but I doubt Ill do better than what I have...
Thanks to all that have sent their comments.
Pentaxkev