Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

affordable, thick, black backdrop suggestions please

I'm looking for a black backdrop thick enough to block daylight positioned in front of a window. at least 8' wide x 9' tall to 10' x 12' maximum and under 70 USD.

It is a bit of a nightmare reading reviews online of backdrops (I've spent a couple hours now this evening). Back to back reviews I see 'very thick blocks out the sun' and then 'very thin light bleeds through'

So what are you, who already have back drops, using in this price range that is thick enough to block light? I'm stupefied how dramatic the difference in experiences people are having/thinking they are having with these backdrops.

03-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

A friend of mine uses a black cloth like you describe with very effective results.

Jason Florio

Jason Florio

---------- Post added 03-24-15 at 11:37 PM ----------

---------- Post added 03-24-15 at 11:42 PM ----------

I might suggest going to Home Depot and going to the lawn and garden section and looking for shade cloth. They have it with different percentages to allow more or less light through. I am not sure if this is what he uses or not. I will have to ask him what kind of material it is he's using.I don't know what his is... but there are several types of cloth, shade cloth and weed cloth that would probably work.

Last edited by alamo5000; 03-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.
03-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
White muslin and black paint, apply with a roller as many coats as required
03-25-2015, 01:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use a heavy material of any darkish colour to block the light and a lightweight black one from a sewing material shop in front to shade it. A heavy black material in one piece will cost more than $70.

03-25-2015, 02:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider black felt from a fabric store. Take a flashlight, especially one with lots of LED bulbs, hold it directly against the fabric and see if you can detect any light spots. Also, a double layer of dense fabric will almost aways succeed where a single sheet is insufficient. especially if there is some space between the sheets.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 03-25-2015 at 07:11 AM.
03-25-2015, 04:54 AM   #6
bmw

Photos: Albums
I'm using this product: Westcott 9 x 10' Wrinkle-Resistant Cotton Backdrop (Rich Black)
Westcott 9 x 10' Wrinkle-Resistant Cotton Backdrop 133 B&H Photo

While it doesn't completely block sunlight through my window, it blocks it sufficiently that if I shoot the backdrop inside at f:5.6, 1/160th sec, ISO 100, the image is completely black. If sunlight is shining directly on the window I have to close the roller blind as well and that's sufficient.
03-25-2015, 05:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've used many types of backdrops over time.

My recommendation : get the Westcott wrinkles-free backdrop. There is nothing like it, and so far no other brand has released the same type of cloth.

It's really amazing. What makes it different is that it stretches. Simply hang the backdrop and use a few cheap hardware clamps to stretch it and attach it to the vertical poles, and no more wrinkles. Ever.

Here's what you get with a regular backdrop. Not bad but not great because there will always be texture, especially if you color it (even if you keep it black, you'll spend time removing the small features catching the light):

Here's the same type of image, with the Westcott:

03-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #8
bmw

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
get the Westcott wrinkles-free backdrop. There is nothing like it, and so far no other brand has released the same type of cloth.
It really works well for me. The secret, as you say, is it stretches and so I keep a bag of 4 inch plastic spring clamps around to pull it tight both vertically and horizontally. I bought the boxed kit of three 9x10' drops in white, grey and black, and all the bases are covered. So far the grey one gets most of the work though.

This was shot around 2 o'clock on a bright sunny, cloud-free afternoon. Grey Westcott backdrop is covering a large window. f:11, 1/160th sec, ISO 100. No outside light shows in shot at all.

Last edited by bmw; 03-25-2015 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Add sample image.
03-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
A friend of mine uses a black cloth like you describe with very effective results.
I'm pretty sure that's precisely *not* what he's looking for, since he wants light not to shine through it... but damn, is that an incredibly cool effect! It makes it look like he's in front of a painting, til you realize the painting and ground intersect and match.
03-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I'm pretty sure that's precisely *not* what he's looking for, since he wants light not to shine through it... but damn, is that an incredibly cool effect! It makes it look like he's in front of a painting, til you realize the painting and ground intersect and match.
Yeah man...Jason is awesome. Google him.

He's pretty big time.
03-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, all. Yes, I don't want any light to shine through the back.. but the effect IS interesting.. really pulls the subject out of the background while still keeping some of the background visible.

I will check out the fabric shop first.