Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

High Speed Sync and K-3

Hi everyone,
while I was reviewing some of my old photos, I ran into some shots that I made when I was having fun shooting some water droplet (who didn't? ) a few years ago. At the time I was shooting it with the pop-up flash and I didn't even know the existence of HSS photography. Now that I own a Metz 48-1 and a K-3, I was wondering how I could try some HSS photography.

I looked up on the web, but to be honest I was quite overwhelmed with the amount information and I couldn't decide myself.

I noticed that if I put my Metz on the hotshoe I can activate the HSS mode, but if I use it in Slave mode, which means that can be triggered by the pop-up flash, I can't. Since I'd like to put the light source behind or on the side of the subject, I'd like to use it wireless or wired.

What are possible solutions and what kind of equipment would you suggest?

Thanks to everyone

03-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by screamiky Quote
Hi everyone,
while I was reviewing some of my old photos, I ran into some shots that I made when I was having fun shooting some water droplet (who didn't? ) a few years ago. At the time I was shooting it with the pop-up flash and I didn't even know the existence of HSS photography. Now that I own a Metz 48-1 and a K-3, I was wondering how I could try some HSS photography.

I looked up on the web, but to be honest I was quite overwhelmed with the amount information and I couldn't decide myself.

I noticed that if I put my Metz on the hotshoe I can activate the HSS mode, but if I use it in Slave mode, which means that can be triggered by the pop-up flash, I can't. Since I'd like to put the light source behind or on the side of the subject, I'd like to use it wireless or wired.

What are possible solutions and what kind of equipment would you suggest?

Thanks to everyone
You can optically trigger the slave flash with another PTT-L speedlight that is capable of acting as a master flash.

Otherwise, you can buy a ptt-l capable hotshoe cable. This sort of acts like a hotshoe extension cord, so the flash and camera communicate as if the flash were still connected to the camera.

That being said, you are better off using low power, short flash duration instead HSS. Use a 1/180 shutter and aperture dark enough to block out the ambient light. You will get motion streaking with HSS since its a series of flashes.
03-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by screamiky Quote
I noticed that if I put my Metz on the hotshoe I can activate the HSS mode, but if I use it in Slave mode, which means that can be triggered by the pop-up flash, I can't. Since I'd like to put the light source behind or on the side of the subject, I'd like to use it wireless or wired. What are possible solutions and what kind of equipment would you suggest?
In order to do this with HSS successfully you would need a P-ttl HSS compatible flash on camera as a controller and a P-ttl HSS slave mode compatible flash off camera and/or you would need to use a Pttl compatible HSS trigger system such as the Aokatek radio trigger system in conjunction with P-ttl Hss flashes for bright sunlight.

I currently use HSS successfully using a Sigma 610 Super as a controller and two AF540fgz's in Hss slave mode and the Aokatek radio trigger system mostly for outdoor sunlight.
03-25-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
You will get motion streaking with HSS since its a series of flashes.
That's exactly the reason why HSS isn't ideal for stopping motion.

While the smear will not be as bad as you'd get from a shutter speed of 1/180s, you get a "rolling shutter" effect at this respective magnitude.

I support the suggestion to kill the ambient light (e.g. with a sufficiently high f-ratio) and use a short duration flash (i.e. not full power).

03-26-2015, 01:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the support! I'm glad I asked on this forum. In fact I tried to do HSS with the flash mounted on the hotshoe and I noticed that the droplet weren't as sharp as I thought they would be. Then I tried with 1/180th, high F-number and triggering the Metz with the pop-up flash, and well that's what I was looking for. I can't wait to try it outdoor, so that I don't have to bother about the water spilling everywhere.

Oldbayrunner, I'll keep in mind your suggestion when and if I'll be shooting outdoor portraits. If I understood correctly, HSS is the way to go (or ND filters) in those situation.

Again, thanks for the advice