Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
using flashlights paired with softbox

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just curios, if anybody has ever used a flashlight with a softbox.
I always have trouble with using flash (I am still learning & experimenting).
I have used continuous fixed light (LED), which gives me more freedom (personal preference).
Now I want to use a Fenix TK15 paired with a Westcott Rapid Box 26" Octa Speedlite with Deflector Plate.
the Fenix TK15 has 3 different colour lights (red, green, white) with approx 400 lumens. I dont know how fast those lumens will degrade after prolonged use. Perhaps I can use gels to mix and match for more creative lighting?
Anyone with ideas/comments/suggestions?

03-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
I have used continuous fixed light (LED), which gives me more freedom (personal preference).
Now I want to use a Fenix TK15 paired with a Westcott Rapid Box 26" Octa Speedlite with Deflector Plate.
the Fenix TK15 has 3 different colour lights (red, green, white) with approx 400 lumens. I dont know how fast those lumens will degrade after prolonged use. Perhaps I can use gels to mix and match for more creative lighting?
I mean, it might work in the middle of the night with no ambient light, but that little things isn't going to fill a softbox with any amount of useful light.
03-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, get it. Its not going to get 30K lumens (SB800 set at 125 or something similar). But what about a Fenix TK-35: with 1800 Lumens.
03-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ok, get it. Its not going to get 30K lumens (SB800 set at 125 or something similar). But what about a Fenix TK-35: with 1800 Lumens.
Well those aren't exactly cheap. You can always look out for used continuous (photography) lights instead.

03-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Well those aren't exactly cheap. You can always look out for used continuous (photography) lights instead.
But for $130 (the Ultimate version), they are versatile, gives 1.5 hours at 1800 lumens, lightweight (350 grm, incl. 4 battery), weatherproof and durable. Tie them with gaffer tape, clamp or velcro) and you are ready to go - no radio channels, line of sight issues, can be lightly padded to take drops, no wiring - there are many plusses from travel-light viewpoint.
Yes - I understand, its not comparable to a flash.
03-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Go for it.

It probably won't be particularly useful, but it seems you're already convinced it's a great idea, so just do it instead of pretending you want input when you're just looking for people to agree with you or argue with.
03-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Give it a try, let us see the results.

03-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For studio macro I have certainly found continuous lighting useful, generally LED flashlights and an LED clip-on lamp. But with macro you can put the light sources really close and so you don't need much power.
03-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've only used my TK35 inside a milk jug as a ambient glow effect on a picnic table (in the dark) while camping. Didn't think of it as a studio option. Interesting idea. I actually have a small softbox on my desk lamp all the time and use it for products or just general use. It might work on the flashlight. I'd let you know, but I need more CR123A's.
03-26-2015, 05:52 AM   #10

If you'd rather not spend that kind of money for a Fenix flashlight simply for an experiment, you might want to take a look on Ebay for CREE LED FLASHLIGHTS. For example, here's a 2000 Lumen rechargeable flashlight -- 2000 Lumen Rechargeable CREE XML T6 LED Flashlight Torch 18650 Battery Charger | eBay -- it comes with flashlight, battery, and recharger for about $8.00 including shipping.
03-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Since you are "still learning & experimenting", my advice is to experiment with a manual flash and learn to use it.

On the flashlight, the 400 lumens rating (not very much light) is only for the white (actually blue) light.
LEDs produce a very narrow spectrum of light. Using a filter gel to change the color will mostly just block the light.

Much of the cost of an LED flashlight is in the manufactured flashlight form-factor. Then there's the batteries at $5 per.
If you really want to use LEDs for a constant light source, you could build your own AC-powered unit for similar cost, get more light, and not keep shelling out for batteries. But that's a much larger learning curve than using a manual flash.
03-27-2015, 05:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If you want to convince yourself that it won't work, just try to put a regular light bulb behind your softbox. You'll see there isn't enough power there. Use a 150W lightbulb if you want (around 1000 lumens). At studio settings (ISO 250 or less, f5.6 or less, 1/180s) you will never be able to kill the ambiant light with such a power output.

If you want to see where your light will fall, use modeling modes or purchase a studio strobe with a pilot light.
03-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello to all of you out there. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the subject. I have a lot to learn yet.
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Go for it.
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
I've only used my TK35 inside a milk jug as a ambient glow effect on a picnic table (in the dark) while camping.
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Just try to put a regular light bulb behind your softbox
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Much of the cost of an LED flashlight is in the manufactured flashlight form-factor.
I wanted to use the setup in a completely darkened room to shoot a bowl of fruits, and perhaps some portrait shots. But there are better ways to do that and still get a dramatic mood and lighting. I will be trying that as well as manual flash and post some pics for you guys to comment on later. Perhaps after the Easter school holiday week.
04-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't see it mentioned, but your flashlight will get very hot very fast without your hand as a heatsink.

You may look at studio lights with batteries. Portable fluorescent lights don't need as much softening because they are a larger source to begin with may be another option to look at.
04-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well i bought some CR123A's for my TK35. I did a test shot through a small softbox (handheld). At F2.8, the camera metered 1/60, ISO 200. Not bad I'd say.

---------- Post added 04-08-15 at 08:21 PM ----------

Keep in mind I didn't put any thought into the image other than for testing purposes.

---------- Post added 04-08-15 at 08:24 PM ----------

The room was fairly dark as well, no significant light. Without hte flashlight, the camera meters at F2.8 1/60, ISO 10000 - 16000
Attached Images