Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 05:00 AM   #1

Will my automatic NATIONAL PE-243 flash work with my k100D super?

Hi,
This seems to be the forum about flashes etc.. My father-in-law passed away several years ago and left behind his Minolta X-100 SLR. With it came a flash - NATIONAL PE-243. I can't find any info on this on-line, at least not yet and I have searched these forums. Does anyone know the trigger voltage of this flash and whether or not it will work with my K100D super? I couldn't find a manual to go with this flash. Thanks for any ideas.

- FinCanPhoto

06-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I do not know the flash, but trigger voltage you can measure yourself with a multimeter. I wouldn't rely on somebody's measurements as they can vary from model to model. As to the compatibility, once you determine that the flash voltage is safe, just mount it and try. I had one older flash that wasn't synching properly but other two old thyristor flashes work just fine.
06-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi,
It seems that National is a brand of Panasonic. I read somewhere that the Pentax cameras can handle up to 30 V of trigger voltage (?) and the National PE 200 series flashes give out around 150 (I read on a Norwegian site with the help of my wife.) So I guess that means forget the National and invest in a new and more modern flash. Oh well, so much for saving money! Thanks.

FinCanPhoto
06-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FinCanPhoto Quote
Hi,
It seems that National is a brand of Panasonic. I read somewhere that the Pentax cameras can handle up to 30 V of trigger voltage (?) and the National PE 200 series flashes give out around 150 (I read on a Norwegian site with the help of my wife.) So I guess that means forget the National and invest in a new and more modern flash. Oh well, so much for saving money! Thanks.

FinCanPhoto
You can use a Wein Safe-Sync in order to use the flash with your Pentax.

Optionally, you can instead use something like the Cactus RF wireless triggers for even more safety and flexibility. You can get Cactus V2 trigger sets from eBay seller Link Delight or www.gadgetinfinity.com.

Of course, how useful the flash is depends on how much manual control it has.

06-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FinCanPhoto Quote
Hi,
It seems that National is a brand of Panasonic.
Actually, Panasonic is a brand of National. Panasonic is the brand that National sells their products under outside Japan.
06-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Your particular model is not listed here: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages but other National flashes are all over the place, so you definitely need to test the trigger voltage.

In addition, you don't want to use the flash on camera if it is a dedicated Minolta flash.
06-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
In addition, you don't want to use the flash on camera if it is a dedicated Minolta flash.
Why would that be? I am using Contax flash on my istDL with no problems whatsoever. Sure you can play safe and disconnect the additional contacts but I doubt they can damage the camera.

06-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Why would that be? I am using Contax flash on my istDL with no problems whatsoever. Sure you can play safe and disconnect the additional contacts but I doubt they can damage the camera.
Fine. Do whatever you want. I don't care what happens to your equipment.