Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Off camera flash, what to get?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all! I have a Pentax K-50 and am interested in doing some flash photography off camera, and was in need of advice. First off, let me say I don't have a ton of money to spend, so I'm looking for a good bargain.

Question 1. Can I get just use any flash to do this or does it have to be a Pentax flash? Which would you all recommend?
Question 2. Should I get a remote slave unit for the flash, or should I get one with a cable? again, Which would you all recommend.

Now I'm not really thinking I'll be putting the flash behind my subjects for photos (in general), but If I can, so much the better, for this, I'm leaning towards some type of remote slave unit. Will my old flashes do the job? They're mostly the old Vivitar flashes (model 2500 & 3500). I know I read that using the wrong flash could damage the camera, obviously I don't want to do that, so that's why I'm asking. I just thought that if it's a remote slave unit, it's not really in contact with the camera (unless via cable). Any and all help would be great.

Thanks.

04-01-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The cable would still pass the trigger voltage into the camera and you run the risk of nuking it.

I use cheap chinese radio triggers. I think I pays $20 for a transmitter and 3 receivers. The recievers take 2 x AAA batteries and you throw them on the bottom of your flashes. Then great! you can now out your flashes where ever the heck you want!

If you are just playing around, do that. Then once you start to know what you are trying to do, buy better stuff :P

and read the Strobist (if you haven't already)

Oh, something like this.

Wireless Radio Slave Remote Flash Transceiver Trigger 3 Receiver 4 Channels | eBay

FYI. these won't sync at 180th but are happy at 125th. Since our Pentax bodies cant go faster then 180th. Great!
04-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Radio triggers are the best way to go. Most (if not all) can handle the trigger voltage of old flashes. It will be in their specs which voltage thry can handle; and you can do a search for 'trigger voltage yourmake yourmodel' to check the voltages of your flashes.
They also don't require line of sight (optical slaves do require that).

I'm not familiar with the options of your flashes. Auto-thyristor and/or full manual with a couple of power levels would be recommended.

Flashes to condider on a budget (if you want/need new ones) are the Yongnuos. Full manual and plenty of happy users here.

Cactus also seems to make a nice one.

pTTL compatible will make life expensive. You need a dedicated cable or a flash on the camera and one somewhere else. Also, not every pTTL campatible flash can take the required cable (to my knowledge).
04-01-2015, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertminator Quote
Question 1. Can I get just use any flash to do this or does it have to be a Pentax flash? Which would you all recommend?
You can use any old flash but it will be a lot easier if you have a flash that you can adjust the flash power manually (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 power etc.). The more power level settings available, the better. Also, the higher the guide number (flash power) the better.

As mentioned above, take a look at the Strobist website before you start buying.

Strobist: Lighting 101

Tim

04-01-2015, 04:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
As mentioned above, take a look at the Strobist website before you start buying.
These pages still are full of great lighting advice but in terms of gear recommendations, they are hopelessly outdated. No one should buy a LumoPro LP180 these days.

There are great flashes from Cactus, Godox, and Yongnuo that offer remote power control for less money.

@Bertminator: If any of your existing flashes have a TTL mode, you may be able to fire and remote control their power with the Cactus V6 radio trigger system.
04-01-2015, 04:31 AM   #6

I just picked up a metz 44 af-1 to pair with my K-50, It's not the most advance flash but it does have slave built in so it can be used off camera without any attachment. The only problem i could see because you want to use a flash behind subject is the on camera flash still fires. I think if you use radio triggers it won't but don't quote me as I'm just starting to get into the flash arena.
04-01-2015, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might want to take a look at the Yongnuo YN-560 IV flash.

They are inexpensive and powerful. Coupled with an Yongnuo RF603 trigger it can be used as a wireless slave, or you can mount it on the camera and use it to control other Yongnuo flashes. Its a fully manual flash with no TTL capabilities.

A good review is Yongnuo YN560-IV Speedlite Review - DavidPartington.com

I currently have two of the earlier YN-560 III flashes, and two RF603 triggers and I've been happy with them. I think a YN-560 IV will be joining them in the near future.

I will also mention that David Hobby (of stobist.com) has some interesting flash tutorials on Lynda.com (Training, tutorials & online classes by expert David Hobby), if you have access to it.

Fred.

04-01-2015, 05:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes just read the strobist stuff.
04-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Read this

Godox Ving V850 System Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and this

Cactus V6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

You should be all set
04-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
So If I get two RF603 triggers, could I not use my old flashes? as it's not directly hooked up to the camera, and being set off remotely? OR is it still risky? I like what I see in the Yongnuo YN-560 IV flash, but is there one in that price range that has TTL? Thanks for all the info so far...I'm still reading, but for now those are my questions.
04-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

So If I get two RF603 triggers, could I not use my old flashes? as it's not directly hooked up to the camera, and being set off remotely? OR is it still risky?
I think you did not (properly) read my earlier reply

I like what I see in the Yongnuo YN-560 IV flash, but is there one in that price range that has TTL?
You want TTL or pTTL?
I think TTL will only be available via second hand (or AF360FGZ / AF540FGZ, not in your price range). And TTL / pTTL will add significant costs. So I doubt that you will find something in your price bracket.
04-10-2015, 03:23 AM   #12

So If I get two RF603 triggers, could I not use my old flashes? as it's not directly hooked up to the camera, and being set off remotely? OR is it still risky? I like what I see in the Yongnuo YN-560 IV flash, but is there one in that price range that has TTL? Thanks for all the info so far...I'm still reading, but for now those are my questions.
The triggers you mention do not pass PTTL instructions they only send the fire command to the flash, in other words they're for manual flash operation only.

The 560 IV is a manual only flash.

If you want to get into PTTL off camera flash then you're going to be spending a chunk of change probably 3 to 5 times what you'd spend for a manual flash setup.