Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #1

Problem with Metz 52AF-1 on Pentax K30

Hey Guys

Today i discovered a problem with my flash.
(Metz 52AF-1, bought new at 9. January 2015, original via amazon (not used))

It doesn't always fire. Today at a meeting with friends i discovered the following problems:

- it would not fire manuell (there is a little button, that you can press to make it flash, but it didn't work)
- it would not fire as slave (while using my pentax as master, it doesn't fired as slave)
- it would not fire mounted on my camera

back home i checked the batteries (2000mAh, 1,2V Sanyo eneloop rechargeable Mignon) and all 8 where full (4 needed for the flash)
so i mounted the flash onto the camera and it "worked".

While in TTL-Mode, it looked like it would light up my room quite well, so i went into a long room, just to make sure it does work and the lightning was all wrong:

- sometimes all the floor was blown out white
- sometimes the flash would not fire and i had 1 to 2s on my shutter speed
- sometimes it just changed suddenly (without shooting, just in the screen) from 1/50 (normal shutter speed for my flash) and 1 to 2s (normal shutter speed for the dark room, without flash)

So what is wrong here?
The flash is barely useable in any practical sense, since i can't be sure if and when it fires . . .

I really need some help here.

Thanks a lot guys.

04-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have had the 52 on my K-30 since 2012 and have never had a problem.

When you say that it will not manually test flash, you mean the green lightning bolt ? It will not flash at all ? You can set it for test flash or modeling light but either way, you should see a flash. Also, are you shooting attached or off camera. Did you set it to wireless flash from the 4 way controller on the camera before you can shoot wireless here ? Lastly, did you assign the channels in camera while the flash is attached to the camera to sync it ? You also need to set in the settings to set it as master or slave. I am thinking it through but I have never had a problem with the 52 and it has always worked great to me. Read the manual but as you might already have seen, the manual is not the best in explaining things clearly.
04-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
When you say that it will not manually test flash, you mean the green lightning bolt ? It will not flash at all ?
You can set it for test flash or modeling light but either way, you should see a flash. Also, are you shooting attached or off camera.
Yes, it won't flash at all manually. Neither in Manuell Mode, nor in Slave or Master Mode.
I did try to shoot off camera, (this did work weeks before, but not now)

Did you set it to wireless flash from the 4 way controller on the camera before you can shoot wireless here ?
Yes, i tried wireless flash and i tried triggering it with normal flashes from my K30, nothing worked.

Lastly, did you assign the channels in camera while the flash is attached to the camera to sync it ? You also need to set in the settings to set it as master or slave.
I did not change the channel with the flash attached, but i went trough all 4 channels + i now tried your tip and it doesn't effect the outcome. Flash doesn't fire as slave.

I really start to think, this one is broken . . . that sucks because it worked fine for weeks (didn't do much flash) and i need one working till the next friday for a shooting >.<
04-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That sucks. I don't know if there is a reset but it does seem to me that you have a defect. Have you updated the FW ? There have been two updates since it was released. It might not make a difference but it is a shot.

04-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Update the firmware first, and check again. Prior this reset all to factory defaults (master reset) and upload new firmware and if that does not work than something is wrong. I have the same flash and actually the latest firmware was done on my request as I had contacted Metz Germany, demonstrated the problem (HSS problem) and they were able to replicate the same on their Pentax camera (they have K-7 and I think K-30), afterwords they worked 1 1/2 month on the new firmware, than send me an email with direct link to new FW and few hours later posted for everyone...

I wrote this just to let you know that if you have problem you can always contact them, if your USA repair service are not able to fix the problem, and they will take care of it.

BTW Your flash should be set to P TTL and not Master if you have your flash on camera or P TTL HSS if you using your flash as fill-in. The reset button you can find when you press the upper button on the left, and then go to SERVICE, using the pointing down arrow scroll until you get to RESET.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Did you try on the other Pentax camera your flash? Maybe is the camera and not the flash...
04-19-2015, 02:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Update the firmware first, and check again. Prior this reset all to factory defaults (master reset) and upload new firmware and if that does not work than something is wrong.
I wrote this just to let you know that if you have problem you can always contact them, if your USA repair service are not able to fix the problem, and they will take care of it.
Currently it looks like i can't update the firmware, tried yesterday to look for the firmware, but its only available for windows, not for mac. (ironically there is a PDF that shows how to install the firmware from a mac, but you only find windows .exe for installing . . . weird.) Some guys seem to have the same problem, but didn't found any solution. I will try to use my windows partition today to install it.

BTW Your flash should be set to P TTL and not Master if you have your flash on camera or P TTL HSS if you using your flash as fill-in.
Yeah on top of the cam it was set to P TTL and manuell, tried both.

The reset button you can find when you press the upper button on the left, and then go to SERVICE, using the pointing down arrow scroll until you get to RESET.
I will try that, thanks a lot

EDIT: Did you try on the other Pentax camera your flash? Maybe is the camera and not the flash...
I didn't try it on any other camera (since i only own 1, the Pentax K30, that is on the latest software i believe)
04-19-2015, 05:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The exe is just a self-extracting zip; it's the content that you're interested in. you can find some articles using google that might help (one tip was to simply rename to zip; not sure if it works).

If everything else fails, find somebody with a windows machine and extract it.

Last edited by sterretje; 04-19-2015 at 05:48 AM.
04-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

@Lost Forever

The Metz Germany did not posted a version for OS X for 52 AF-1 unfortunately. The only solution for you is to find a friend with windows PC and do it from there. Other than that the file can be open with 7-zip and I believe that it is available for OS X as well (free) or any other zip program that it is running independently but it is nothing inside that you can run on MAC, all windows.

The other solution is if you are OS X savvy to install Parallels and emulate windows on your MAC, but it is not free. The free solution that comes on my mind for MAC is VirtualBox.

Hope this helps a bit and again I feel your pain as I know how it is when flash does not want to work.

You can do also the following:
Put the Metz in full manual mode, tilt the head up and bounce from ceiling or walls, You have to experiment with how much power you will need but after few test shoots you will figure out... You might fare better with this than regular P TTL, believe me...

04-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, especially to you RAART
I own parallels and will probably go this way, its just well, wasted times and chances by Metz to just put a mac software up there, thats pretty sad.

and for the problems: i just reseted the flash and now it works: both as manuell (pressing the flash button) and as Slave, receiving the flash commando from my pentax. really weird.

Is this normal, like a software issue or should i think about returning it on amazon after i had the shooting, since don't "feel save" with a flash that doesn't work 100% ^^'
04-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Who knows what happen there but when you mess with settings I always like to reset flash to default... It is just like mini computer, from time to time you need to restart it!
04-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lost Forever Quote
Thanks a lot, especially to you RAART
I own parallels and will probably go this way, its just well, wasted times and chances by Metz to just put a mac software up there, thats pretty sad.

and for the problems: i just reseted the flash and now it works: both as manuell (pressing the flash button) and as Slave, receiving the flash commando from my pentax. really weird.

Is this normal, like a software issue or should i think about returning it on amazon after i had the shooting, since don't "feel save" with a flash that doesn't work 100% ^^'

Well, if you did a FW update and everything seems normal now, I would say it is fine but test it as much as you can for a few days and decide to return or not. I don't think it will revert back to a problem once the FW is updated but best to test so you feel more comfortable. It is a great speedlight, especially for the price.