Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A question about the Novatron 440 System

Today, I was given a Novatron 440 lighting system. It appears to be fairly complete, but never having dealt with this type of equipment, I'm at a loss as to what I have. As you can see in the photo, it came with four umbrellas, two reflectors (with bulbs), two VERY heavy duty tripods, a large square reflector (???) and a piece of electronic gear..... a box of some sort..... I assume some sort routing box?

Anyway, can any of you give me a clue what I have? Is it any good? Is it worthwhile? Is it "old-timey" and not worth too much effort to repair/replace anything that might need fixing? I haven't tried any of it yet, as I just got home with it a couple of hours ago.

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by Dewman; 08-19-2015 at 02:56 PM.
04-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not something I have any experience with but if you do a search lots of info on this item. Apparently quite popular at one time. Sounds like they might still be in business too.

The 'box' will be the power pack which distributes the power to the individual heads.

Here is a little reading: Novatron Setup - Photo.net Lighting Equipment and Techniques Forum
07-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #3

Not sure if you got your answer or not, but...

Silver Box is power supply - all the strobe units plug into that. Should have a cord similar to a desktop computer cord to plug it into the wall. Should also have a synch cord that has a two prong house type plug that goes into power supply and then to the camera. Mine has a hot shoe adapter. I have strobe stands that have umbrella attachments built in.

Mine is a 1000 and I use it all the time - great unit.

Might also want to check trigger voltage.
07-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
Not sure if you got your answer or not, but...

Silver Box is power supply - all the strobe units plug into that. Should have a cord similar to a desktop computer cord to plug it into the wall. Should also have a synch cord that has a two prong house type plug that goes into power supply and then to the camera. Mine has a hot shoe adapter. I have strobe stands that have umbrella attachments built in.

Mine is a 1000 and I use it all the time - great unit.

Might also want to check trigger voltage.

Thanks for your reply, 5shot. I don't see myself ever using any of this stuff other than two of the umbrellas. The rest of it is just taking up space. I would put it for sale on the Market Place, but I wouldn't have a clue what to ask for it and it would cost a heap to ship! A yard sale item, maybe? Seems such a shame, 'cause I think it could be a very useful tool for the right person.