Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
flash for close-up work

I own a K100D. I'd welcome recommendations of a flash unit to buy or avoid. It would be used mostly for close-up photography of flowers and insects. One of Pentax's units — the AF360FGZ, for which a rebate is available — sounds good. But I am wondering whether the fact that it doesn't adjust side-to-side, only up and down) is a serious drawback for close-up work. (I own an old, rigid bracket for side-mounting of the flash.)

I've also considered a ringlight and would welcome comments about specific units known to be compatible with K100D.

Thanks very much

06-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
This is just my newbie impression (I haven't had a chance to do any close-up stuff with my flash yet), but I think with macro work you'll want to use off-camera lighting anyway (the AF360FGZ can be used wirelessly just fine, if I remember right).

Unless you bounce/reflect the light (from a hotshoe flash) back down onto your subject, you're likely to get a shadow cast by your lens from that close up.

Like I said, I am still in the beginning stages of learning -- though advancing just fine in LBA -- so take my advice with a big grain of salt
06-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax 360 will work fine on camera for horizontal shots. The 360 head has the ability to point down (negative tilt). Have used one a lot. Can also take off camera with proper ttl cable.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in P&S forum. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Ends tonight! Enter now.
06-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #4

If you need flash for close up work, I think any old second hand flash will do, but you will need a wireless setup, such as the much talked about Cactus wireless flash trigger (very cheap!) from Ekbay, or FlashWaves (I've bought this, and it works really well!!) or Pocket Wizards (Pro price).

For K100D, since you won't get wireless flash function from any of the Pentax P-ttl flash, you may as well going for the cheapest option.....unless you also thinking of using the 360 for general picture taking.

Then get the 360 + a wireless flash trigger. Ekbay Cactus only cost less than $30 I think, and for casual use, I think lots of users get good usage of out it.

06-08-2008, 04:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I ordered this setup about a week ago, Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash :: Wirelessly Triggered Macro Twin Flash Combo for DSLR / SLR. Should be here in a few weeks, I can't wait to test it out.
06-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the advice.
06-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I ordered this setup about a week ago, Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash :: Wirelessly Triggered Macro Twin Flash Combo for DSLR / SLR. Should be here in a few weeks, I can't wait to test it out.
I would very much like to hear how you like this set-up after you have put it through its paces.

Gary

06-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Igilligan

I really want to hear your thoughts

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote

I can't wait either.... Please give as a report as soon as you do some testing...

Thanks so much