Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no bounce card?

Call me old fashioned...but I'm wondering if anyone knows why the pentax 540gz2 flash doesn't have a pull up bounce card.....It's such a well designed flash in all other aspects...

05-13-2015, 12:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because it has the 2nd flash in the front
05-13-2015, 01:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

as sterretje said, the front LED is much better than the bounce card in the old design...., now you have 2 sources of flash light instead of one.
05-13-2015, 01:47 AM   #4

Can you set the LED-power in relation to the main flash power? Like -0,7 EV???

05-13-2015, 02:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

From reading the manual, one can set the power totally independent of the main flash.
05-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've found the front LED to be real finicky, you have to go menu diving to find the cryptic menu setting, which requires a bunch of button presses and dial spinning. I seem to recall there are only like 3 fixed settings and as mentioned, this is set separately from the main flash. I would have much preferred a simple pull out card. I sometimes use gels on the flash, which works fine with a bounce card but now what, I have to use 2 gels -- aw, just forget about it!

The only benefit I can think of for the front LED is for video use, and if you're looking for that, you probably aren't shooting w/ Pentax to begin with.
05-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
as sterretje said, the front LED is much better than the bounce card in the old design...., now you have 2 sources of flash light instead of one.
but the point of bounce is to avoid the direct light...is it possible to use only the led and not the main flash?

05-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
but the point of bounce is to avoid the direct light...is it possible to use only the led and not the main flash?
I can't answer the question, but using the LED would be just as much a direct source of light as the main flash. The point of the small bounce cards commonly included with flashes is really to throw a degree of front-facing light on to the subject when the flash is providing the main source via a bounce off the ceiling, with the purpose of filling in shadows and in particular to provide a catch-light in the eyes of human subjects. The LED should be able to do a similar job in some circumstances but in my view it is not a full substitute and I think it was a mistake for Pentax to omit the card. Fortunately you can easily make something which does the same job - eg with a piece of paper and an elastic band.
05-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
It works better with direct light as well as bounce light to make it more natural and well balanced.
05-22-2015, 05:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
the front LED is much better than the bounce card in the old design
Different, yes. Better? I don't think so.

QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
The point of the small bounce cards commonly included with flashes is really to throw a degree of front-facing light on to the subject when the flash is providing the main source via a bounce off the ceiling, with the purpose of filling in shadows and in particular to provide a catch-light in the eyes of human subjects. The LED should be able to do a similar job in some circumstances but in my view it is not a full substitute and I think it was a mistake for Pentax to omit the card.
Exactly. It also serves the secondary purpose of bouncing the light mainly above and in front of you. Sometimes with very large rooms it's handy to be able to direct more light nearer to your subject, instead of filling the back of the room with useless photons.

QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
Fortunately you can easily make something which does the same job - eg with a piece of paper and an elastic band.
True. And eBay is full of well-designed third party solutions.
06-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think it is possible to switch off the main flash and use only the front LED for a stills exposure. It has just a limited number of manual power options I think, not P-TTL auto-exposure.

One real area where the new LED ' front-fill' has an advantage over the card is that it still faces forwards even when the main flash head is twisted around to bounce sideways. This is a limitation with a catchlight panel, which can only have it's effect on a subject when the main flash head points upwards and forward facing.