Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rear curtain sync

Am I correct in thinking that rear curtain sync only works when a dedicated pentax flash is attached directly to the hot shoe?
The reason I ask is that works with the pop up fill flash, but with a dedicated Pentax Metz 48 flash it does not unless the fash its self I set to rear curtain.
With a remote trigger fitted it certainly does not work , Easily proved in a dark room with overly long exposure time set.

05-27-2015, 04:54 AM   #2
Banned

Your camera manual will tell you what functions are available with off camera flash.
05-28-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Am I correct in thinking that rear curtain sync only works when a dedicated pentax flash is attached directly to the hot shoe?
The reason I ask is that works with the pop up fill flash, but with a dedicated Pentax Metz 48 flash it does not unless the fash its self I set to rear curtain.
No, the Pentax AF540FGZ needs to be set to trailing curtain sync just like your Metz. You don't have to change the setting on the camera (see below) with the AF540FGZ; it only seems to apply to the on-board flash.
With a remote trigger fitted it certainly does not work , Easily proved in a dark room with overly long exposure time set.
There is some communication going on between flash and camera. Switching only the AF540FGZ (in hotshoe) to 2nd curtain sync and leaving the camera on 1st curtain sync will result in 2nd curtain sync triggering (tested on a K-5); it also works on the K100D that does not have an option for 2nd curtain sync in the flash options.
Your radio trigger does not allow that communication.

According to the manuals (not tested), 2nd curtain sync is possible with a remote flash when using the on-board flash (I'm aware that that might not always be a desired option); the on-board flash is even triggered on 2nd curtain. I have no idea how that is supposed to be communicated (it would indicate that the Pentax wireless protocol is bidirectional); this behaviour is also described in the manuals of the the K-5 and K100D.
05-28-2015, 05:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

This cannot work as the camera uses the P-TTL protocol to communicate flash timing to the flash.

The only alternative to a direct connection or "wireless" (i.e. optical) triggering is to use a radio trigger with a delay feature. The disadvantage of this solution is that you have to manually select the delay which obviously varies with the shutter speed.

05-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sterretje, Dankie vir die gedetailleerde inligting baie waardeer, ek al Hoe is goed met jou en Roodepoortand and Class A, thank you as well. I also hope all is well in NZ.

I ts nice to see there are still a few of the old timers left who give sensible replies.

You both confirmed my thoughts and it now occurs to me that since i have two Yongnou flash heads that, if set correctly, ignore the preflash and I can use the pop up to trigger them with rear curtain selected.

I will have go tomorrow and see what the result is.

all this comes about because a friend was enquiring how to create a ghostly image of a person that is then frozen at the end of her travel., he has in mind to get the model to move away from a grave !!
05-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
Banned

I ts nice to see there are still a few of the old timers left who give sensible replies.

More often than not, forum questions can be answered with RTFM. It's one thing if you don't understand what it's telling you, quite another if you're just too lazy to look up the info yourself.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!
05-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #7

The trouble with RTFM is that you need to understand the terminology used, and the manual does not deal with non-Pentax accessories. This forum helps greatly to demystify the Japanenglease with real world examples.

05-30-2015, 07:30 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Personally I regard anyone who just posts rtfm as as rude person and actually lacking in forum etiquette , if that's all you have to offer why bother to reply?

Any way those who took the trouble to reply with information, and having as a result realised that the rear curtain setup in body only applies to the built in flash, and having experimented I have now got the two remote flash heads to trigger as rear curtain sync using either the pop up set to rear or the metz flash set to rear, providing , of course, the remote flash units can "see" the on board flash it all works well.