Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
You can become really creative using one light. You can "double" a single light by using a reflector. For example, you can use one flash/speedlight in a softbox and bounce part of the light off a reflector (e.g., clam shell lighting). Another idea is using a speedlight with HSS during the day (Note: If it is off camera you will need a cable), using the setting sun as a hair light. There are a lot of modifiers for a single speedlight and you can make your own for cheap.

05-28-2015, 12:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
You can take pictures of pretty flowers: You can turn day into night (with the help of a neutral density filter): You can do split lighting portraits: You can emulate the cover to the "Meet the Beatles" album:
Thanks for sharing this, those are interesting photos. Ideas added to the first post
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
multi-pulse strobing
I have no idea what it is !!! is that HSS ?
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
You can make people look like Jesus. Find a dark, preferably slightly dusty environment, stick the flash right behind their head, and have them hold their arms out in that particularly Jesus-y way.
It sounds fun, I'll try that for sure ^^
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Soon after you get your first flash you will discover that you will need a few more and wireless triggers, and then you will start to discover the strobist world, you just reading about. With the time your photography skills will improve with better understanding of light, shapes and shadows. My suggestion is to look right away for cheap wireless triggers and as some suggested above the Yongnuo flashes. Soon you will find out that there is no options for HSS with wireless triggers and do not worry about it. Everyone hope is that at some point we will get those for Pentax P-TTL but you will learn also to adapt to live without... You are on the right path with Strobist web page and there is plenty of videos on the you tube to help you about, just do not make mistake and look for expensive flashes however you will need one at least to use it on the camera and I recommend the Metz. Look for 58 series or new 64, though I do not had it or maybe 52. Other flashes just get Yongnuo or Cactus, maybe Godox too, depending on your budget. You have great reviews here of those systems. Here is a just quick sample using only one flash and wireless trigger while I did not had anything else with me and had to improvise in the wild... an older friend who wanted to have pictures while hiking and he asked me for a favor but as it day was setting already I had to use flash to light him up as we were in the forest on the edge of cliff and he wanted the background to be visible. Just remember one flash, off camera used here...
wow, thanks for your experience ^^ I'm thinking about a Metz 58 and a wireless trigger (don't know what brand to choose yet)
QuoteOriginally posted by teoprome Quote
what can you do with light? (real question)
yeah, the real question,I'll remeber that ^^ thanks a lot, it'd help for sure !

Last edited by redcat; 05-28-2015 at 12:55 AM.
05-28-2015, 04:46 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

I'd guess by 'multi-pulse strobing', he means when the flash fires multiple times at regular intervals during the exposure (sometimes called repeating flash mode or stroboscopic mode). This lets you record movement or do other funky things. My only examples on-hand involve more than one flash though:

In this one, a weaker powered flash fired multiple times to pick up a shadow of the cars motion, and a stronger flash fired once to get the more solid image at the front:

Round the bend
by Brian Robin, on Flickr

Pulsing flash positioned behind as a rim light, zooming in during exposure (again another flash fired once to get the exposure on my face):

Spacedman mkII
by Brian Robin, on Flickr

In a dark environment, you can also light up large areas with a single strobe by opening the shutter and walk around manually triggering the flash to light different bits of a landscape up. An example Strobist: One-Light Night Landscape
05-28-2015, 05:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
In this one, a weaker powered flash fired multiple times to pick up a shadow of the cars motion, and a stronger flash fired once to get the more solid image at the front: Round the bend by Brian Robin, on Flickr Pulsing flash positioned behind as a rim light, zooming in during exposure (again another flash fired once to get the exposure on my face): Spacedman mkII by Brian Robin, on Flickr
Amazing ! I must try this for sure !!! thanks for your explanation & photos

05-28-2015, 05:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
I'm thinking about a Metz 58 and a wireless trigger (don't know what brand to choose yet)
If you are thinking about a Metz 58, consider getting a pair of Cactus V6.

With these you could remote control the power level of the flash. This is so much quicker than walking to the flash or even getting it out of a light modifier.
05-28-2015, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
@BrianR - Excellent explanation and great examples! Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Thanks!
05-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I would also recommend reading Neil Van Niekerk's blog - http://neilvn.com/tangents/ - I also only recently started usin flash, and I must say that I will never turn back. Although I love the softness and beauty of a window light, the versatility of using a flash, bounced from walls allows the creation of beautiful light, and therefore beautiful and soft shadows, pretty much everywhere.

First time using bounce (from walls) in a serious job.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
05-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #23

You can use one flash to do flash composites.

For product shots it's not too hard. You have a fixed camera and take several photos of the object while moving the flash around. In post processing you add those single images together to relight the scene as you wish. See here (in German, but the slideshow should give you the idea).

Here is an example of a wedding shot. Not sure I like the results, but hey, it's about the technique used. This takes a lot more planning and care though, since the models can't move (too much) for it to work: GLO Photography Houston | Photography Techniques | Flash Composite

Last edited by Undot; 05-28-2015 at 07:35 AM.
05-29-2015, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you are thinking about a Metz 58, consider getting a pair of Cactus V6.
thanks for your recommendation, I'll consider those ^^
QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
I would also recommend reading Neil Van Niekerk's blog - http://neilvn.com/tangents/
thanks for your suggestion, I'm reading his book on " Direction & Quality of Light", very nice photos, btw ^^

---------- Post added 05-29-15 at 03:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
You can use one flash to do flash composites.
Interesting ! I added the ideas to the first post, many thanks
05-29-2015, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
thanks for your suggestion, I'm reading his book on " Direction & Quality of Light", very nice photos, btw ^^
Thanks for mentioning the book.

I often recommend Neil's "Black Foamie Thingy" because it can produce great results (jump down to the passage that starts with "For comparison, ..." and check out the third photo), and enjoyed a good portion of his website, but I didn't know he wrote a book. I'll try to check it out.

Last edited by Class A; 05-29-2015 at 10:29 PM.
05-30-2015, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

I often recommend Neil's "Black Foamie Thingy" because it can produce great results (jump down to the passage that starts with "For comparison, ..." and check out the third photo), and enjoyed a good portion of his website, but I didn't know he wrote a book. I'll try to check it out.
He's written several books: Amazon.com: Neil van Niekerk: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

I have his off camera flash book (for Kindle), it's very good.
05-30-2015, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

The "Black Foamie Thingy" has completely changed my photography; I hardly use/trust available light anymore, ,unless it's a beautiful and directional window light, or if shooting outdoors...
05-31-2015, 03:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the suggestion & the links ^^ very impressive !!! I added the ideas to the first post
06-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Bounce flash for those crisp indoor shots. You can balance the window light using the shutter speed.

Catchlight in the eyes in portraits. On-camera bounce flash again
Yes! I hardly ever find a need for a second flash, because white ceilings are so common. My nephew-in-law teaches photography at the high school level; he is a great believer in using natural light, but he was really intrigued when he saw how I was able to bring out more detail while avoiding harsh shadows by properly bouncing my one flash. You do need a certain amount of power to make that work, though.