Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cactus V6 & External Light Meter?

I know that Sekonic has a build in RX for Pocket Wizard. I jumped on board with 6 Cactus V6 and 4 flashes, thinking it would work with them. Are there any light meters anyone would recommend to work with the V6? Or, is there a work around to get the Sekonic to work with the Cactus?

06-19-2015, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Set your Sekonic's measuring mode to "Flash - cordless." The meter will then wait up to 90 seconds for a flash (dramatic increase in brightness) to measure the light. Just press the button on front of the V6 to trigger your flashes. Some Sekonics even have a "Flash - multiple" to measure cumulative effects, so you can move yourself out of the way if you're blocking a light, just by putting the flashes on different V6 channels and triggering them sequentially.

If you need a more responsive solution, Cactus makes a tiny little PC sync to 3.5mm phono cord that plugs into the V6 and then into the PC port on the light meter. Then you change the measuring mode to "Cord - PC" mode and the meter will trigger the flash, just like the PWiz, but with a dangly bit.
06-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Set your Sekonic's measuring mode to "Flash - cordless." The meter will then wait up to 90 seconds for a flash (dramatic increase in brightness) to measure the light. Just press the button on front of the V6 to trigger your flashes. Some Sekonics even have a "Flash - multiple" to measure cumulative effects, so you can move yourself out of the way if you're blocking a light, just by putting the flashes on different V6 channels and triggering them sequentially.

If you need a more responsive solution, Cactus makes a tiny little PC sync to 3.5mm phono cord that plugs into the V6 and then into the PC port on the light meter. Then you change the measuring mode to "Cord - PC" mode and the meter will trigger the flash, just like the PWiz, but with a dangly bit.
Thanks Panoguy. I had a feeling there was a way to get it to work. I have the PC sync with an extra V6 to control the flash and shutter. I just wanted to make sure it worked before I dropped some big bucks on the Sekonic.
06-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Thanks Panoguy. I had a feeling there was a way to get it to work. I have the PC sync with an extra V6 to control the flash and shutter. I just wanted to make sure it worked before I dropped some big bucks on the Sekonic.
I'm using a Sekonic L478DR meter (even though I don't use PW's), and like all Sekonics it is expensive but full-featured and very accurate. It's also easy to understand; no tiny, cryptic display- just a big iPhone-like touchscreen. The only issue I have is that the touchscreen isn't very "touchy." Sometimes it takes a number of pokes or swipes to get it to respond. Good thing the meter button is a physical one!

06-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I'm using a Sekonic L478DR meter (even though I don't use PW's), and like all Sekonics it is expensive but full-featured and very accurate. It's also easy to understand; no tiny, cryptic display- just a big iPhone-like touchscreen. The only issue I have is that the touchscreen isn't very "touchy." Sometimes it takes a number of pokes or swipes to get it to respond. Good thing the meter button is a physical one!
I'm torn between the L478DR and the L758DR. They have a a model L758D, without the PW controller in it, but it only sells in Europe. I guess I'm holding out that they might come up with a controller for the Cactus V6. It also seems that to get the profile of camera and lenses, one has to shell out another $100. Sort of a rip off.

It would be nice if Cactus came out with a light meter which works with all. The price would come down, and it would be a big win for us all.
06-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm torn between the L478DR and the L758DR. They have a a model L758D, without the PW controller in it, but it only sells in Europe. I guess I'm holding out that they might come up with a controller for the Cactus V6. It also seems that to get the profile of camera and lenses, one has to shell out another $100. Sort of a rip off.

It would be nice if Cactus came out with a light meter which works with all. The price would come down, and it would be a big win for us all.
Okay, i'll ask the dumb question : Why would one need a light meter? DSLRs generally show the EV level in manual mode. Or just take a digital picture and adjust from there. I can see the need for light meters in the days of film where one doesn't have any immediate feedback. But in the days of digital camera - Why?

Just trying to learn :-)
06-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Okay, i'll ask the dumb question : Why would one need a light meter? DSLRs generally show the EV level in manual mode. Or just take a digital picture and adjust from there. I can see the need for light meters in the days of film where one doesn't have any immediate feedback. But in the days of digital camera - Why?

#1 reason (realistically): for pros, if you have a paying client under your strobes, they don't want to see you chimping and adjusting your lights after each flash, long before you start to direct them into pose.

#2: camera meters are based on the light reflected from within the scene (so a black or white object will bias the meter), while incident light meters are based on light directed at the scene (colors and tones in the scene don't affect the light sources themselves). This gives consistency regardless of clothing choices and skin colors, and prevents the camera "thinking for you."

#3: multiple lights and ratios - a meter can figure that out for you, while no camera can do that... only lots of experience behind it.

#4: it looks really professional (no really, that's one of the reason people buy them!)

06-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Why would one need a light meter?
I agree with you that there is little motivation left to use an external light meter.

Panoguy's point #3 is the best argument remaining: While a meter cannot figure anything out automatically, using an external light meter is the quickest way to establish certain lighting ratios for multiple light sources (e.g., 1:3:4). This still isn't a silver bullet, as the ratio of a hair kicker may need to be 1/3 instead 1/4 of the key light, depending on the subject's hair colour, but it helps to get a reasonable starting point.

Having said that, often one will use one's lights in standard positions with standard distances to the subject and making the power settings manually from recorded notes is quicker than measuring the ratios again.

Regarding #2 from Panoguy's list: Light meters typically support both reflectance and incident metering because there is a use for both. Incident metering can sometimes be replaced by using spot reflectance metering and, again, is not a silver bullet because most of the time photography is not about achieving technically accurate exposures, but expressing artistic intent with deliberate under- or over-exposure.

Finally, I think points #1 and #4 are pretty much the same. With a bit of experience, obtaining the desired exposure without using a light meter does not take considerably longer. And if you want to really want to work professionally, you set up your lights with a test subject before the client comes into play anyhow.
06-27-2015, 12:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

@Panoguy
@Class A,

Thanks for the answers guys - food for thought :-)
06-27-2015, 01:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I Went With The L758DR

So I went with the L758DR. I have a lot of manual lenses, and the difference in the time it takes and the results are worlds apart. Even with my Pentax 14mm 2.8 on my K-5 the difference in exposures make a huge difference as well. Right now, when I shoot outdoors with 4 flashes, (All on V6's with a V6 on TX to control them all) and a reflector, this light meter, and the V6, has given me control over picture outcome and time.
06-27-2015, 03:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What panoguy said, but I'll add an overlapping reason:

#3.1 When one of your "multiple lights" is the sun. It's hard to turn the sun off, and it can be hard to tell exactly what the flash is doing from the small screen and histogram that you're squinting at on a bright day, especially if it's hitting only a small portion of the frame.

and one that's related to #2, but I think different enough

#5 Accuracy - meters are typically accurate down to a 1/10 of a stop, my ability to base an exposure off the camera's histogram is not quite as reliable. Fabulous when you're doing a series of images you'd like to be consistent over several sessions.
06-27-2015, 03:16 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Fabulous when you're doing a series of images you'd like to be consistent over several sessions.
If consistency is the goal then manual mode for the camera and flashes is the way to go.

In terms of accuracy, given the noise levels of today's sensors, you can be a stop off and will get away with it easily. No need to hit the "correct" exposure by 1/10 of a stop at all. And, again, what is the "correct" exposure? The light meter does not know and it won't help you to avoid overexposure in areas you did not meter for.
06-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If consistency is the goal then manual mode for the camera and flashes is the way to go.
Of course... manual flash and camera settings kinda go hand in hand with a light meter don't they? I'm talking about using the same lighting setup I used yesterday, or a month ago, and matching the exposure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
In terms of accuracy, given the noise levels of today's sensors, you can be a stop off and will get away with it easily. No need to hit the "correct" exposure by 1/10 of a stop at all. And, again, what is the "correct" exposure? The light meter does not know and it won't help you to avoid overexposure in areas you did not meter for.
Of course you have some room to be off, but IMO it's much easier to process a bunch of images if they are all off by the same amount. I'm considering 'accuracy' here as in 'able to match my exposure from last time'. I'm in no way claiming there is some universal 'correct' exposure and I'm sorry if I gave that impression (I tried to be careful and use the word 'consistent' and not 'correct').
06-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

So I went with the L758DR. I have a lot of manual lenses, and the difference in the time it takes and the results are worlds apart. Even with my Pentax 14mm 2.8 on my K-5 the difference in exposures make a huge difference as well. Right now, when I shoot outdoors with 4 flashes, (All on V6's with a V6 on TX to control them all) and a reflector, this light meter, and the V6, has given me control over picture outcome and time.
I'd be interested to see a shot of what you're working on?? Totally puzzled as to what might require 4 flashes and a reflector. If you'd rather not - i understand as well.

---------- Post added 06-27-15 at 06:16 PM ----------

This is an example of a recent promo shot for a new play. The theatre program developer cropped off the top of it, blew it up to 8 1/2 x11 color and used it for the opening page of the program. Looked gorgeous - even if i say so myself. The problem i had taking the picture was not with the exposure settings but putting the flash and actors in a position where the bar shadows would not cover their faces :-( The play was a comic murder mystery called the "The Mystery of Irma Vep" - written in the 80's and still funny.

[IMG][/IMG]
06-28-2015, 01:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd be interested to see a shot of what you're working on?? Totally puzzled as to what might require 4 flashes and a reflector. If you'd rather not - i understand as well.]
I live in a complex that has a Mediterranean look with columns, and gardens. I shoot at night, so I'm using the flashes for effect and the reflector to bounce onto my model. As soon as I get something that really catches the whole look I'm trying to achieve, I'll be sure to post them.