Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What shoe size are Pentax and Metz speedlights?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm trying to find the appropriate bracket for my softbox, and I've found two units which would suit my needs--however, they're giving the hotshoe size in comparison to Vivitar speedlights. Should I get the large or the medium?

Medium: Chimera Speed Ring for Medium Shoe Mount Flash | eBay

Large: Chimera Speed Ring for Medium Shoe Mount Flash | eBay

06-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hope I understand your question correctly, you want to use a standard Pentax/Metz flash unit in a soft box. To start with, you have the wrong link for the large shoe mount flash.

Chimera Speed Ring for Large Shoe Mount Flashes 2630 | eBay

It is hard to tell if the medium size will allow the flash to fit within the ring. There are no dimensions given in the listings. In addition, if you plan to use a radio trigger, the flash will be even taller.

If you do plan on using a radio trigger, take a look at the DIY article I wrote for making a horizontal flash bracket and forget about buying a ring.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/106596-diy-horizontal-flas...ht-stands.html

Tim
06-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, atupdate. Yes, I'm trying to mount my flash units with a softbox. I love your DIY hack, but I still need an assembly which will allow me to mount the softbox onto my light stand. All I currently have is the box and 4 support poles. There was no speed ring included with the softbox so I'm trying to get a piece of hardware which will tie in the 4 softbox poles and simultaneously mount on my light stand.

Any ideas?
06-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
There was no speed ring included with the softbox so I'm trying to get a piece of hardware which will tie in the 4 softbox poles and simultaneously mount on my light stand.

Any ideas?
If you look closely, the rings you are looking at do not include a mounting method for your light stands. The rings are designed to mount to the studio light and the studio light mounts to the light stands.

What I think you can do is remove the flash mount and use that hole to mount the ring to your light stand. It looks like the flash mount hole would allow the 1/4" - 20 hex head screw from my DIY bracket to fit through it (like the extra bracket in the Large Ring). The bottom of the screw then would fit into an umbrella bracket. The umbrella bracket would then attach to your light stand and allow you to tilt the soft box if you desire.

Adorama Universal Swivel Holder - Umbrella Bracket 781404