Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help with beginner flash kit shopping list (Yongnuo)?

Think I've got this narrowed down but it's confusing what with all the different models etc.
I have a Pentax k-x and some old film cameras (and I want to pick up a 5D mk1 or 2).

The Yongnuo 560 III seems like a good place to start learning about flash and lighting. I don't think the IV offers me any more as a beginner.
Is there a specific variant of 560 III which I need to look for?

As I understand it, the RF-603 II triggers would be a good starting point and both the Canon & Nikon versions work so the Canon should be fine since I want that 5Dmk1.
And I'll have a spare transceiver that I can use with any old flash.
What I'm not sure about is if they'll work with my old film cameras?

The remote shutter trigger function will be useless on the k-x but that shouldn't matter because I have an infrared remote control, right?

07-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blacknosugar Quote
Think I've got this narrowed down but it's confusing what with all the different models etc.
I have a Pentax k-x and some old film cameras (and I want to pick up a 5D mk1 or 2).

The Yongnuo 560 III seems like a good place to start learning about flash and lighting. I don't think the IV offers me any more as a beginner.
Is there a specific variant of 560 III which I need to look for?

As I understand it, the RF-603 II triggers would be a good starting point and both the Canon & Nikon versions work so the Canon should be fine since I want that 5Dmk1.
And I'll have a spare transceiver that I can use with any old flash.
What I'm not sure about is if they'll work with my old film cameras?

The remote shutter trigger function will be useless on the k-x but that shouldn't matter because I have an infrared remote control, right?
I use YN560III flashes, YN 603N II transceivers and a YN 560 TX Controller a lot. Trigger my AB800;'s and Einstein with them too.

• The YN 603C-II ( Canon version) won't work in a Pentax K-X hotshoe, at least it won't work in K5 & K5IIs hot shoes. Pins don't line up. See photo below. Buy Yellow box
  • The YN 603N-II ( Nikon version ) will work in K5 and K5IIs hot shoes. They also pass through the firing signal so you can piggy back other triggers like my old NPT 04's or a Buff Cyber Commander
  • The 560 TX is great, you can control power and zoom of YN560III flashes remotely. Way better than climbing up to manually adjust. Its cheap and it can be used handheld or in a camera shoe.
  • The YN560III work in my Pentax K5 & K5Iis hot shoes but that's a very rare use. Mostly, they are in cold shoes on a umbrella swivel mount or tripod or Morris softbox bracket
  • B&H carries all this stuff

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 07-17-2015 at 06:04 PM.
07-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see what you mean about the pins.
I will go for the Nikon version or the 560 TX.
Thanks!