Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It's not fixed in stone ... In fact I see it as a start point.
I personally would like to see a bit more discussion on non-P-TTL flashes, but I'd understand if you considered it off-topic.

Once one goes beyond a single flashgun, P-TTL starts to show its limitations and many flash users shoot with manual flashes even when they are only using one light source for reasons of predictability, consistency, and triggering (e.g., in sunlight and/or involving light modifiers).

If the guide is meant to be just a P-TTL guide then its current focus is justified. However, if it is meant to be addressing flash photography with Pentax cameras in general then I think it should say a bit more about available alternatives and list the trade-offs.

07-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Comprehensive Pentax Flash Guide

Hi Class A,

It's nothing more than simply having to draw a line somewhere, plus the alternative (radio triggered) manual systems are not my 'field'. Many books on flash would spend a lot of time talking about lighting principles in general, the theories and calculations etc ... And those things are all still there for people for use and apply .... But it's always about non-Pentax gear ( usually Nikon).

I want to balance things up a bit with a resource that is special to our Pentax equipment . So the boundary is kept within the 'dedicated' system we have from Pentax, and the helpful features it offers over manual systems, such as distance / range scale working which can influence the whole shooting workflow.

Of course I accept there's discussion about what other types of system offer ..... And I'm up for it ..... It's just that this particular guide resource is not about those systems .....

But I did say 'it's a start point' .....I guess, maybe, one dayIf you work on me !

Last edited by mcgregni; 07-23-2015 at 05:47 PM.
07-24-2015, 03:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

What I plan to do is raise some discussion threads on issues that have come up from the guide . This matter of comparing dedicated Pentax system flash (the subject of the guide) with third party radio triggered options, is always going to be a big one.

It's a choice that people have to make. I am passionate about dedicated system flash and the convenience it offers .... And I know Class A is the expert and passionate user of radio systems. So we are on the opposing sides, enemies! Or are we?

I did not want to try and influence peoples buying choices .. Rather just ensure that there is more information easily available for the users of dedicated flash. The guide is not only for sophisticated multi-unit off -camera users, its for all Pentax shooters who can benefit from good use of flash when its needed.

Let me raise the debate when there's been time to take in the guide, and if its agreed that it needs to deal with alternative systems as well, then it can do that ..... Perhaps with ClassA's help though!
07-24-2015, 05:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I want to balance things up a bit with a resource that is special to our Pentax equipment .
Fair enough!

The guide starts slightly more general and you make a couple of references to alternative approaches so I just thought this would be worth expanding on a bit.

But if you want this guide to really focus on P-TTL then that's 100% fine with me.

And I know Class A is the expert and passionate user of radio systems. So we are on the opposing sides, enemies! Or are we?
Certainly not enemies.

I guess we have different applications, priorities, and perhaps budgets.

Let me raise the debate when there's been time to take in the guide, and if its agreed that it needs to deal with alternative systems as well, then it can do that ..... Perhaps with ClassA's help though!
Sure, let me know whenever you feel I may provide input.

All the best with your guide, either way!

07-24-2015, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I think its a great idea to expand on the range of options available, and what it means to make each choice. I should probably elaborate more near the start on what exactly a 'Dedicated System' flash is, and what is the difference between that and a manual type radio triggered system. I want people to have more information to make better choices .... we see a lot of threads that go like ...'what is the best flash for my Pentax camera, should I go for a Godox or a Metz' ...

Well, that is really the start of a long conversation if you don't just want to put personal system preferences on it ..... the implications of the different choices there are really big, and its about what is more suited to the individual. I would love for the Flash Guide to cover some details of those choices. Lets have a discussion on a new thread soon where everyone can describe their own personal reasons for favouring a particular flash system, and I'll try and create a summary of those ideas for the guide ....

Thanks again for the idea ClassA!!
08-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The first of the Flash Guide Development Threads is now up here ..... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/302328-pentax...nt-thread.html . This relates to the questions surrounding P-TTL and KAF / KAF2 mount compatibility. Thanks to all for taking a look and all contributions! Following these discussions I will draw up conclusions and hopefully have more accurate and reliable material about this issue for the 2nd version of the Guide ......
09-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I want to tell everyone that I am well on the way to issuing the 2nd Edition of 'The Pentax Digital Flash Lighting System' guide. Following the two 'Development' threads plus all the feedback and suggestions I have had, I am now preparing a lot of new material as well as refining and correcting some of the existing material. I'm enjoying working on this just as much as I did on the original.

The main improvements will be in the areas of P-TTL functioning with different lens types, as well as a focus on the features of both Dedicated System flashes and Radio Triggered alternative systems. I have now also got images of the AF-540FGZII and its control panel, and there is a new section looking at both the earlier AF-540FGZ and the newer AF-540FGZII in a more side by side manner. There is an expanded 'Miscellaneous Features' section which adds the new LED functions from the 'MKII' flashes (Catchlight, AF Spot Beam, LED Beam).

The Wireless Operations section will now include images of the controls and operation steps for the 'MKII' flashes, as well as new material on Multi-flash Wireless working and P-TTL exposure control (Contrast Control Sync & Flash Compensations).

The Camera Exposure Modes section now adds the X-Sync mode also. There is a general mopping up of small errors and typos, and a new font and slightly darker page background for easier on-screen reading.

I was aiming to try and beat the release of the Full Frame with this new edition of the Guide .... but looks like the pressure's off now!!! In any case,there is going to be plenty in this new 2nd edition to make it worthwhile to download and go through again, and of course it is all part of a continuing developing resource which I hope to make into the most comprehensive and reliable source of information for Pentax Dedicated System flash. I hope to have this 2nd edition ready fairly soon, hopefully during October.

Thanks again to all those who have downloaded the guide and who fed back such a great positive response, which made it all worthwhile to me! I hope you will look forward to the next edition, coming soon !

10-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm really glad to announce that the 2nd Edition of the Pentax Dedicated Flash Lighting System Guide is now available right here on PentaxForums . Thanks again to Adam for his great support and help in getting this out to Pentax photographers everywhere.

The download links are now updated with the new edition .pdf, available from the original Homepage Article, the New Article published today, this sticky thread, or from below any of my posts.

For full details of what's new, including 17 pages of new material, check out the listings on the new Homepage Article, or see the new supporting thread here ....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/306843-its-time-upgrade.html

As always I see this in a collaborative way, and I look forward to everyone's feedback, ideas and suggestions ...I hope the new material based on the suggestions given to me by people right here meet with approval ! And thanks again to all those who did give that advice and assistance. .... I hope you enjoy the new edition and that it continues to support fun and reliable flash photography with our Pentax cameras ...

Nigel

Last edited by mcgregni; 11-22-2015 at 01:04 PM.
12-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #24

Wow!! very important guide! Thanks Adam!!! and of course Many Thanks to Nigel McGregor
12-20-2015, 02:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Hi SteMa, I'm glad you found the guide and I hope you find it useful. Happy flashing !
04-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I have failed to check my profile page recently, so apologise to two members (hman & MJSfoto1056) who posted a couple of quick questions there. Really sorry I didn't see them. I hope you don't mind if I copy the questions here in the interests of letting all participate in what are really general interest matters about Pentax Flash ....

hman wrote ....
'Hi- am reviewing your outstandingly informative guide to Pentax flashes. While I understand the obvious benefits to the top-of-the line Pentax dedicated flash, I am not quite ready from a budgetary perspective. I do own an old and working (at least the last time I tried) Pentax AF280-T flash that I've used on k100D, K-x, and now on K-50. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around all of this new (to me) info, and was wondering how I can best use this flash, as well as options for off camera flash with triggers? wireless? I don't know what I don't know! Hope you don't mind the PM.'

Thanks, Harvey

Thanks for the question, and sorry again that I didn't see it. The old TTL era flashes cannot be used on the modern DSLRs in TTL mode, as this is not supported by the cameras (which need special flash sensors to detect the light 'off the film plane'. However, they will fire and be able to be used in either 'Auto-A' mode (if the flash has this with the required sensor), and in any manual power setting they have (these older units usually have a simple two-step manual option). For both of these options you'll need manual camera mode, and for the manual flash option then you will have to juggle flash brightness with aperture / ISO and distance adjustments.

For wireless, then you could look at the Cactus V6 system ..... as I understand it the V6 'Transceivers' can be profiled to take manual control of an old TTL flash unit, and you will be able to control the output in a number of steps from the on-camera V6 unit. Other manual triggers may also be able to be used this way, but we'll have to hope for more expert views on any alternatives. I hope you are able to get your old flash working for you again!

MSJfoto1956 Wrote ....

'quick question: do you know if Pentax supports PTTL with two Pentax flashes attached to the hotshoe via a (custom) split cable? (Canon does, Nikon does not). '

Thanks!
Michael

Hi Michael, Again sorry for not replying earlier. The Pentax extension cord and shoe cable system does allow such a 'split' I believe, and it allows the 'contrast control sync' mode to operate, with a split lighting ratio between the two flashes. The adaptor is attached to the hotshoe and the the flashes are connected by with hotshoe or plug from the cable. I believe they must both be independently supported, eg on a flash bracket system if attached to the camera, or on stands of not.

I don't use this technique myself, only wireless, so I would be really grateful if anyone with more knowledge can clarify and add to this. Thanks again for these questions guys and I am sure that I will be able to draw on any further answers here to add to the next version of the Guide

Last edited by mcgregni; 04-24-2016 at 07:21 AM.
12-14-2016, 03:08 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks

Great document. Answers lots of my questions.
12-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

No problem, I'm pleased you found it helpful.
01-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #29
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent! Outstanding! I'm only part way through it but it has already greatly expanded my knowledge. Will be getting the flashes out for a play. Pentax K-3II with the 540 and 360 (version 1).
01-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

That camera and 2-flashes makes for a powerful combination .... a lot of control and creative options! I hope the Guide helps you find your way around everything, and thanks for your nice feedback