Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2018, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

It may also be worth pointing out that some Godox flashes/strobes can indeed be used in conjunction with a Pentax camera, including HSS, provided that a V6II is used as an "HSS converter". This requires a bit of care regarding the selection of Godox triggers and flashes, but many are having success with this approach.

Personally, I'd avoid the required "trigger stacking" and given that Cactus have announced the RQ250 there will soon be more choice, beyond the RF60X.

Last edited by Class A; 03-13-2018 at 07:55 PM.
03-14-2018, 02:48 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffb Quote
Hi, I was looking at an older (finished) thread re Voltrix JY670 Ring flash, which I just purchased, and it's issues with firing only once. I have a K3 with version1.30 firmware, but am still having issues with the flash.
It only fires once when you turn it (and the camera) on then won't fire again unless you turn the flash off and on again. The old thread recommended soldering a resistor into the unit, but not being a technical kind of guy (and knowing stuff all about elcectronics) am reluctant to even attempt something like that. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Found this post on the Forums, don't know if it helps.
Playing with my new Raynox 150 and Viltrox JY-670 Macro Ring Flash. - PentaxForums.com
04-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Edit: version 2 of the guide is now uploaded. It contains many additions and fixes based on community feedback (7/15).
Edit: a supplement to the 2nd edition is now available, with information on the latest flashes (7/17).
Wow! This post couldn't be more timely. I'm growing out of my current flash gear. On the other hand, I don't want to rush into buying new flash "just because". Next week, I'm off to Europe for a holiday (not really as it'll be our wedding) and this pdf will travel with me. :-)

As we all know, understanding flash is quite complicated and one never stops learning.

Thank you Nigel for this comprehensive guide. I appreciate your precious time you had put in this document.
04-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I'm glad you came across the Guides, and I hope you find plenty of useful tips ...... If you're running late getting to the wedding then you'll have had a very good excuse!

10-09-2019, 02:59 AM   #50

Thank you

I bought a really good flash unit but the inormation on how to use it with my Pentax scared me off. This will help a lot. Thank you
10-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Things keep moving on in the world of flash, and compatibility with Pentax cameras is increasing. That's a good thing, but it doesn't make things any simpler in terms of choices and options!

I hope you get things up and running easily Les, and please come back to the forum with any questions.
02-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My sincere compliments to the author of this flash guide. It is very, very well done. It is excellent, comprehensive, and clear.

02-15-2020, 09:33 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Veteran Member

Thanks for the message and I'm pleased the guide continues to be useful! There have been a lot a developments over the last few years with a wider range of third party choices for Pentax flash photographers, and most of the attention is on the newest flashes and trigger products from Godox.

But getting to grips with a Pentax flash both on and off camera is still a great starting point for those new to flash, so there's still a need for a Pentax specific resource to help. I'm only sorry I'm not a YouTuber, where no doubt the info would reach many more people.... I'm afraid I'm stuck in the world of the written word, which sadly less and less people these days seem able to learn from.

But it's always nice to hear from those who continue to enjoy and benefit from the advantages of a written guide!
02-18-2024, 05:28 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote

But it's always nice to hear from those who continue to enjoy and benefit from the advantages of a written guide!
I’ve been reading the guide repeatedly over the last couple weeks. It’s been really helpful for me. I much prefer reading over a video.

The guide made photography with my Pentax flash accessible and motivated me to see how I can improve my pictures with it. Your hard work continues to help, thank you very much!