Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2015, 11:01 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Comprehensive Pentax Flash Guide

Forum member mcgregni (Nigel McGregor) has put together an extremely detailed PDF guide that covers the Pentax digital flash system from A to Z. This is the perfect read if you'd like to master the various features of modern flashes.

Since it's a large file, I'm helping Nigel out by hosting it here and sharing it on the homepage. See below for the download, and enjoy!

Edit: version 2 of the guide is now uploaded. It contains many additions and fixes based on community feedback (7/15).
Edit: a supplement to the 2nd edition is now available, with information on the latest flashes (7/17).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Forum member mcgregni (Nigel McGregor) has put together an extremely detailed PDF guide that covers the Pentax digital flash system from A to Z. This is the perfect read if you'd like to master the various features of modern flashes.
Thanks Adam. This will be a big help to many forum members, including myself.
07-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

I just clicked on it to open it and it is set so that it cannot be opened on my computer for some reason.
What can I be doing wrong?

Regards,
07-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

70 pages of detailed description of everything flash? I'm impressed. This should be a sticky.

07-21-2015, 02:30 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, thanks Adam for the hosting. What better place to distribute the guide and make it available for Pentax photographers .....

I hope members here enjoy reading it as much as I have enjoyed putting it together. And if it raises questions and prompts more discussion about flash with Pentax cameras .... well, that's good too 😉👍

Please let me know what you think ..... Some aspects will have been dealt with in other guide resources and some angles I've developed I think may be a little more fresh. Of course, it's not set in stone .... Any corrections or clarifications can be incorporated in future updates.

Thanks for your interest here, I hope my guide will prove useful and enjoyable for a wide range of Pentax camera shooters !

Nigel

---------- Post added 07-21-15 at 10:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

I just clicked on it to open it and it is set so that it cannot be opened on my computer for some reason.
What can I be doing wrong?

Regards,

I'd just try again .... I tried earlier and I think Adam was just setting it up. Seems to work ok now though, and from the homepage article. Good luck, hope it's ok now....

---------- Post added 07-21-15 at 10:38 PM ----------

Its gone again from the homepage, so I think Adam may be tweaking things .....
07-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you both....I have been reluctant/afraid/lazy about learning more about flash photography so I look forward to this.
07-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Seems good now ! Thanks Adam .

You can use your PDf reader page indication box to navigate pages as detailed on the 4 contents pages .... Also there is an embedded index, so you can search and jump to words or phrases.

07-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow!

I've been looking for something just like this. Thank you Nigel McGregor and Adam. I know what I'll be reading for the next few weeks.
07-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you for doing this guide.
It's very useful.
07-22-2015, 01:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You're welcome 😊 I hope that flash users of all ability levels will find something useful there. Sometimes it's not only about 'knowing stuff', but often it's as much the way we actually think about, and visualise things. I wanted this guide to paint a logical and understandable picture of the quite complex mix of things going on with flash. By trying to offer a way of thinking about it, hopefully leads to more intuitive and natural practical skills .....

Last edited by mcgregni; 07-22-2015 at 01:07 AM.
07-22-2015, 02:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
It is a pdf, do you have a pdf reader installed, also try another download, just in case it got corrupted.

---------- Post added 07-22-15 at 07:18 PM ----------

mcgregni Fantastic, Thank you, I really appreciate your work
07-22-2015, 02:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

No problem, it's been really fun putting it together 😉 (well, I do admit that some of the final formatting and constructing the merged PDF tested my patience a bit!).

If a computer or device has PDF reader software installed then usually a download will open the reader automatically .... If not then you'd be prompted to browse and find software. Some internet browsers might have PDF read capabilities built in . I think Chrome does, and if active (check 'plug-ins) then the download should open up in a new tab. Some PDF reader software has a browser add on also, although you would probably have had to activate it at installation.

I hope there are no problems with reading the guide. If anyone cannot see it please let me know here and I'm sure a solution can be thought through.
07-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

There's been a great response to the guide, I'm really pleased that people felt the need for it and I hope that there is stuff in there that is helping.

It's not fixed in stone ... In fact I see it as a start point. I want to get involved in debate and sharing knowledge with experienced flash users right here. I plan on including feedback, corrections and readers suggestions in updated versions, so that we've always got a reliable and current resource for the latest Pentax flash features and models.

I plan on raising question threads about issues that caused concern during the preparation of the guide, and where I had to ' call it' and draw a line for clarity, but where more information is needed .... One obvious example is the KAF / KAF2 and P-TTL issue, which needs more investigation.

Thanks again for everyone's encouraging and positive response.
07-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #14

I just finished reading the guide in one sitting. The manual Pentax should have produced. Very well done. The best description of wireless flash I have seen.
07-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That's really generous, thanks! The wireless part was always going to be important as I know how interested people are in the system and set-up steps, so I'm very glad to hear you say that about it 😉