Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wireless SEF 54PZF Problems

Can anyone help me with my Samsung SEF54PZF please? It's the Samsung equivalent of the AF540
I cannot get it to work wirelessly with my K-3.
I go through the set up procedure posted on the Ricoh webset and it just doesn't fire. The K-3 is brand new and the flash is my brothers who also has a K-3.
I switch it on and set the the mode to Slave, slide the right hand switch to show gold to set the channel. I then slide it back up to show white.
Then, as per Ricoh, I mount it on my switched off K-3. I turn the camera on, half press the shutter to register it to the camera and then remove the flash and try taking pictures with no success.
The flash setting on the camera has been tried in both modes, Wslave & Wcontrol, still without success. When I set the flash mode on the camera it shows me the correct channel.
Does anyone have any light they can shine on this?

07-27-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wireless SEF 54PZF Problems

The only thing you haven't mentioned is setting the 'wireless' position on the flash power switch ....this is right over to 'on' for on-camera work, and the Middle 'wireless' position for off-camera.

If you have already done this then could you post a picture of the camera and flash next to each other from behind, with the LCD panels both illuminated, so we can see all the settings . It does sound like you've done everything apart from possibly that one power switch thing .....
07-27-2015, 03:10 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Name:  Channel 3.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  135.2 KB

Name:  Final set.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  143.2 KB

Name:  On Camera.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  141.0 KB

Name:  Channel confirmed.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  Should be connected.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  164.9 KB
Hi McGregni, Thanks for the fast response. The unit was switched on in wireless mode.
The images attached show the channel setting, the final setting prior to mounting on the camera, the unit on the camera, the channel confirmation on the camera and finaly the displays after dismounting the unit.
I cannot see what's gone wrong.
07-27-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You have only mentioned the off camera flash. Have you set the on camera flash to wireless Control or Master? Also, are you setting the camera to the X mode? If your using the camera the Manual Mode the sync speed must be set a shutter speed of 1/800 or below. The on camera flash will not fire an off camera flash in the HSS mode.

---------- Post added 07-27-2015 at 07:56 AM ----------

That should be 1/180 of a second not 1/800th. Sorry for the typo

07-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Darryl, I'm not sure what "X" mode is or how to set it. Could you elaborate please?
I have tried both the "slave" and "master" settings

---------- Post added 07-27-15 at 02:34 PM ----------

Sorry Darryl, my mistake. I meant both Control and Master settings in Wireless mode
07-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've tried it in "X" mode without success.
07-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

From your last photo there it doesn't look like your camera 'pop-up' flash is raised. This is required for wireless (optical) triggering ....that's how this system works. Sorry if you did have this but not just for the photo ......

07-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Would I need it raised in all wireless modes?
It will trigger the flash as a slave when the camera flash fires, that side does work, but I want to be able to use it as a stand alone off camera flash. Is there a special way of setting that up
07-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The only way to trigger wirelessly using Pentax system dedicated flash is optical triggering with an on-camera flash ... Either pop -up or another flashgun. This is the same for both master and control triggering.

Check out the Flash Guide for Pentax I recently completed, there's a section on wireless that might be helpful... Click the link below my posts for the article and guide download . Hope this sorts the problem.
07-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The on camera popup flash must be raised to fire the off camera flash. To set the camera flash mode push the flash symbol (lighting bolt) switch just below the OK button. This will being up a sub menu for the flash. Toggle to sub menu to the right and put and set the mode to "Control." You will see a flash from the pop up flash but it will not affect the lighting from the off camera flash. It's only sending a signal to the off camera flash to fire. If you set the camera to "Master" the popup flash will provide lighting on the subject and signal to fire the off camera flash.

Last edited by fwbigd; 07-27-2015 at 06:53 PM.