Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2016, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's the manual. A very, very simple device.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Manual Acon Flash Controller.pdf (88.9 KB, 250 views)
02-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Here's the manual. A very, very simple device.
Thank you so much for the user manual of Acon R930. it is strange that on the product specification, it states there are 8 channels, and there are A-B-C groups, but the user manual does not mention about how channels can be set nor anything about A-B-C groups.

Best regards
02-03-2016, 02:50 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thomaskplee Quote
Thank you so much for the user manual of Acon R930. it is strange that on the product specification, it states there are 8 channels, and there are A-B-C groups, but the user manual does not mention about how channels can be set nor anything about A-B-C groups.

Best regards
Feeling brave enough to email them? ☺
02-03-2016, 04:58 AM   #49

Feeling brave enough to email them? ☺
I was able to contact the person at their Shenzhen office ( who is on Chinese New Year Holidays for two weeks from now) and he admitted that the 8 channels and A-B-C groups are not implemented on the R930 sold and there will be firmware update in the future for these features, as the necessary hardware are built-in.

02-03-2016, 05:02 AM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thomaskplee Quote
I was able to contact the person at their Shenzhen office ( who is on Chinese New Year Holidays for two weeks from now) and he admitted that the 8 channels and A-B-C groups are not implemented on the R930 sold and there will be firmware update in the future for these features, as the necessary hardware are built-in.
Good detective work, Thomas! Now we need to get you to probe Ricoh about the FF. ☺
02-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Nice to know that a wireless trigger with HSS is available for my Pentax flashes. Bummer that it uses AAA instead of AA batteries. Might still order a pair sometime later in the year.
02-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Although it was published in November, I just came across this really excellent overview video that shows the Acon R930 trigger in use. Everything is patiently explained, and he does some demo shots:

And now you can buy their triggers from the Store on their web site, and pay with PayPal. I hadn't noticed that before either.

02-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Nice to know that a wireless trigger with HSS is available for my Pentax flashes. Bummer that it uses AAA instead of AA batteries. Might still order a pair sometime later in the year.

AAAs to keep the size down. The Cactus uses the same.
02-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #54
Pentaxian

AAAs to keep the size down. The Cactus uses the same.
Cactus V5 (and V4) used AAAs.

Cactus V6 use AA and its a much better experience. The batteries are the same as one needs for the flash and have a lot more capacity. AA rechargeables work a lot better for me than AAA rechargeables. There is a battery piece of wisdom that goes "Friends Don't Let Friends Use AAA".

Last edited by Class A; 02-25-2016 at 08:25 AM.
02-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
There is a battery piece of wisdom that goes "Friends Don't Let Friends Use AAA".
I do like that!

Yeah, I've got two pairs of Cactus v5s.
03-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a warning to new Acon R930 users: always mount the trigger unit the right way on the camera hot shoe - ie with the trigger body sitting over the front of the camera.

Don't accidentally mount the R930 trigger unit backwards on the K-3 hotshoe (ie with the trigger body hanging over the camera viewfinder), like I did today.

The trigger 'catches' on the camera hot shoe VERY firmly when mounted that way, due to a spring-loaded pin in the trigger foot dropping into the empty pin hole in Pentax hot shoes. It took a lot of force and jiggling to eventually extract the trigger from the hotshoe (unscathed, luckily).

Many other flashes and triggers will do the same thing when mounted backwards on a hotshoe, of course, so it's not just an Acon issue.

Also can confirm that wireless radio P-TTL works fine on my K-3, as does HSS up to 1/8000 sec.
03-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Also can confirm that wireless radio P-TTL works fine on my K-3, as does HSS up to 1/8000 sec.

Sounds good . Its a solution that should prove popular, especially for those situations that are a struggle for optical communications , eg in bright sunshine, or at longer distances such as when using a telephoto for outdoor portraits.

Just a question ..... do we still need an HSS capable 'dedicated system' flash on the camera as well as the Acon trigger ? And I would assume that the receiving slave flash needs to be HSS capable as well, or have the 'HSS Sympathy' mode such as the Cactus RF60 .... ?
03-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
do we still need an HSS capable 'dedicated system' flash on the camera as well as the Acon trigger ? And I would assume that the receiving slave flash needs to be HSS capable as well,
No need for a flash on the camera body.

My simple 1 flash unit test setup was just:

- Acon trigger unit on top of K-3;
- several metres away, Acon receiver unit on flash stand, with [HSS capable] Metz 52AF-1 mounted on Acon receiver. Flash set to 'PTTL - HSS' on the Metz menu.

1/1000 shutter, no problems.
03-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #59
Veteran Member

OK thanks .... so presumably there's no issue with sync speed because the camera doesn't 'think' there's a flash mounted .... well, there's not
03-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
so presumably there's no issue with sync speed because the camera doesn't 'think' there's a flash mounted
Indeed. Camera flash settings were just 'Flash On'. Worked fine in X, then Tv mode no matter how high I ran the shutter. Very handy. Even worked from another room.