Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Hi,

The manual states
"TTL pass through:
Although not recommended. due to mounting up the flash and transmitter on a SLR made more unstable structure. User can do this for some cases. before using this. make sure the power of the
transmitter if off."

Seems counter productive I use pass through to allow P-ttl on camera as well as firing remote flashes why would you want to mount a p-ttl on a transmitter if it has to be off .?!!

Just a thought using these with Cactus v6 to enable P-ttl/ Cactus mixed without having anything but a Acon TX on camera.

i.e
Acon TX on camera
Acon RX with Cactus V6 mounted in Pass through P-ttl flash on top

But unless I can fire an on Camera P-ttl and remotes then $120 seem excessive for no real advantage over oakatec P-ttl triggers.
Though ease of use of these is nice.

---------- Post added 06-08-15 at 03:51 PM ----------

If the 50 hours posted in specs is true aaa will be fine.
A quick glance through the manual a week ago, there was a section on how to power up the whole thing so that they all talk. I wonder if is a reference to the power up procedure? Or a vague mistranslation.

08-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Thanks all for an interesting discussion and informative thread on this new possibility. I think we'll all be watching developments here with great interest and hoping that any issues can be resolved ... Could this be our ' best of both worlds' solution?
08-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
A quick glance through the manual a week ago, there was a section on how to power up the whole thing so that they all talk. I wonder if is a reference to the power up procedure? Or a vague mistranslation.
There is a weird power-up procedure, but it makes sense when you consider that the "normal" P-TTL communication is bi-directional, and the triggers exist inside this loop. Briefly; power up the receiver, then the flash, then the transmitter, then the camera. In this order, the receiver has a signal to send that tells the camera what "flash" is mounted on its hotshoe, and the camera can send a signal to the flash.

If this order isn't followed, things might still work, but there is potential for the camera to not "know" a P-TTL flash is attached, or for the triggers to not communicate properly, etc. After I learned it, it became second nature.
09-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #19

Is that any one have this remote can do a test

hyper sync with mono lights?

09-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

This RF P-TTL trigger is really good news! I'm wondering why it hasn't made the PF front page. Many people have waited this for years!

I really hope they will get it to work with the Q series. Actually, there's no practical way to get wireless P-TTL on the Q. Sure, you can use a 360 as a controller but let's say that, on a Q, it's a kind of an akward combo...

Isn't it strange that the K-500 not listed as compatible although the K-50 and K-30 are ? AFAIK, the K-500 is just a non-WR K-50 without focusing point in the viewfinder. They should handle P-TTL in exactly the same way.
Unless there's something well beyond my understanding making weather sealing mandatory for wireless P-TTL; which also could explain why it doesn't work with the Q!
09-28-2015, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #21

Hypersync / fake HSS test with r930 plus

Pentax K-3 Hypersync Quick Test (No Fancy Model / Makeup) — Ken Tam|Photographer|Corporate Photographer|Fashion Photographer|China|Hong Kong|Macau
09-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! So you are using the r930 receiver to trigger the Jinbei DC-600 head? How does that work?

Also, I recently saw an announcement for Fuji X-system TTL triggers that look an awful lot like the Acon r930 with stickers attached:

Serene Automation

Of course, different firmware for Fuji, but check out the price!

09-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Nice! So you are using the r930 receiver to trigger the Jinbei DC-600 head? How does that work?

Also, I recently saw an announcement for Fuji X-system TTL triggers that look an awful lot like the Acon r930 with stickers attached:

Serene Automation

Of course, different firmware for Fuji, but check out the price!
I ordered a pair of r930 Plus (with modded firmware it cost a bit more money for fake HSS)

It work like r930 for P-TTL speedlite, and if connect the 3.5 camera jack to the Studio light it can fire as fake HSS / hypersync.

With DC-600 most frame will be brighter in the bottom end of the frame, slower 400w ring flash don't have such issue... so it's all about the flash duration.

The company say... they may release a user patchable firmware next month, for us to fine turn the sync delay.

Yes Serene look 100% same shell of acon.
09-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds great! I'd really like to be able to do remote wireless RF HSS sometimes.
Unfortunately my P-TTL flashes are a Sigma (not listed) and the Metz 58 AF-2 which seems to have no green in its row on that compatibility chart. I wonder why that is when all those other Metz flashes seem to be compatible.
10-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

manual mode, wirless remote mode not working

I got my R930 (Firmware v3) today and it seems to be working fine in PTTL and HSS using a K-3 II and AF540FGZ Combo. This is what I bought it for. So far so good.

But I seem to be unable to make it work in either manual mode or wireless remote mode. I simply can't set These modes.

The Manual describes "short" and "Long" button presses, but my unit doesnt react any differently to 1 or 2 second presses of the side button "CH".
Also the Manual refers to green, red and red AND green blinking LED #4. Only all my 4 top LEDs seem to be green only. Just the front LED (which signals wirless activity) seems to have a red and a green LED in it.

Anyone with a really clear dummy user recipe on how to
a) use manual mode
b) use wireless remote mode?

I think I read Jerry's comment as to the Manual mode only working when used in combination with a AF200 Flash unit.
10-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
thanks for sharing beholder - look forward to hearing more.
10-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #27

Is it possible to get my Pentax 645z working with flashes like prophoto oder elinchrome to flash with 1/1500 without any problems?
Is HSS really working?

I have been searching for this for a LONG time.
10-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hart-Worx Quote
Is it possible to get my Pentax 645z working with flashes like prophoto oder elinchrome to flash with 1/1500 without any problems?
Is HSS really working?

Have you not noticed the PrioLite system before?

Also, if you are prepared to use a semi-automatic approach (requires using a manually entered delay time), the Cactus V6 has been supporting HSS / HyperSync for a long time.

Note that studio strobes typically will only support HyperSync (implying a gradation over the frame) as opposed to true HSS (that mimics continuous light). This raises questions as to how suitable the Acon trigger is for studio strobe applications involving shutter speeds above the sync-speed.

Last edited by Class A; 10-24-2015 at 06:33 PM.
10-25-2015, 04:04 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The bottleneck are the flashes. HSS is always a TTL subfeature. So the flashes need to have PTTL-HSS implemented. I am not aware of any studio flashes with PTTL support.

Is HSS really working?
Yes. The acon transceivers transfer the PTTL-HSS signal very nicely.
10-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
HSS is always a TTL subfeature.
That's true for P-TTL HSS, but not in general.
  1. There are other ways to achieve true HSS, e.g., using the HSS feature of the RF60 that does not require P-TTL.
  2. Often "HSS" is a misnomer for "HyperSync". For instance, to the best of my knowledge the PrioLite system does not truly implement HSS (a series of pulses, approaching continuous illumination), but rather uses a long burn off time (resulting in a gradated exposure which is the more visible, the shorter the burn off time is).

I am not aware of any studio flashes with PTTL support.
The Priolite system apparently emulates the presence of an HSS-capable P-TTL flash. I don't think it supports automatic exposure control, but it enables shutter speeds beyond the sync-speed.

The acon transceivers transfer the PTTL-HSS signal very nicely.
Which, however, can be of little use, if the triggered light does not produce a true HSS output. Most studio strobes don't and hence need a different timing. For instance, it can be a good idea to miss the initial peak in brightness in order to avoid strong gradation in the frame (at the expense of total power).