Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #16
Forum Member

Brooke - ok my setup... I use a Pentax 540 as the master... for HSS... then I use all HK stuff so I picked-up about 3 of these little beauties off eBay.... from NiceFoto the nFlash E series... mine is pre LED but works the same... they are Lithium battery built in... and get about 300 pops at full power with about a 3 to 5 sec refresh time... these I use the Aokataec with speeds up to 1/4000 past that it gets iffy....

nflash_E series - nflash - Shenzhen Nice Photographic Equipment Co.,Ltd <--- Flash Heads...

Let me know if you have any other questions...

09-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Please, has anyone have advice for me? I have a Pentax K3 II. I would buy a flash Yongnuo YN560 IV. I wonder which more components need to buy to remotely using the flash?
And when ordering such equipment is it important to emphasize that this is for a Pentax?
tnx
09-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You need a controller like the TX for it, or another 560 IV on the hotshoe, IIRC.
09-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #19
Forum Member

Radobojski -

1st - No you can use the K3 with the onboard flash to control the YN560 IV but the YN will be on manual setup... I actually use old Sigma DG500 Super and DG530 Super flashes like this... no issues...

2nd - If you want Pentax to control the flash then you need to make sure your flashes are P-TTL for Pentax... several manufactures make them... just make sure it's designed for Pentax...

Personally if it's your first set of flashes... get them P-TTL for Pentax... God Luck... Tony C.

09-11-2015, 02:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

This issue of what kind of flash system to first start out with is interesting. We often read in threads people asking about whether they need to specify a Pentax-specific model when ordering from Yongnuo or Cactus etc ..... Usually that opens up a whole load of further queries and misunderstandings about what extra items you need to build a completed wireless system (eg hotshoe triggers, cold -shoe attachments or are the controllers built in to the flashes ...), and also about HSS functioning. It's quite a minefield frankly!

I looked at the Yongnuo website just now, and I could only see controllers dedicated to Canon and Nikon. It was clear enough that the latest 560iv models had internal triggering, but nothing to help choose something that you could be sure would fit onto a Pentax DSLR. There was no proper explanation of how to build a system from their range that would work with Pentax, or any other camera actually ..... Weird, as that's their business .. If you can't persuade anyone to buy things that they can be sure will work with confidence, what's the point of the site?!

The other question often seen is that of the beginners choice ... 'P-TTL' (referring to Dedicated system flash) or radio wireless manual . In theory, automatic flash exposures should be the natural first choice (just like P mode would be for the beginners ambient exposures) .....
09-11-2015, 05:25 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for explanations. Yongnuo YN 560 IV model is interesting because of technical specifications and price. I was thinking about triggering flash because I would not want use flash only on hotshoe .
Regards
09-11-2015, 06:14 AM   #22
Forum Member

Radobojski - there are three ways to achieve this... I am going to use three flashes as an example....

1st - using the hot shoe to trigger the other two flashes... which ever brand you go with... there is a manual mode that will trigger when it senses a flash from your camera... usually to dull the flash strength off the pop-up... I use a gary-fong puffer... on the hot-shoe it defuses the light enough that it creates a nice fill affect... does not matter what camera you use... it works... even use it with my Hasselblad H systems....

2nd - using actually three flashes... one on the camera as the main source... and two on manual as before... the flash on the camera can be used as a bounce light which gives you a room fill affect... or my favorite I add a ring light adapter to it... and give it a specific purpose...

The issue with this... is you loose light at the bottom of the ring... I corrected this by pulling the whole thing apart... and then using HVAC metal reflective tape all over the inside... increased the brightness and gave me a full ring flash... easy DIY project...

3rd - is using off camera triggers... again... the flashes will be on full manual I do not think there is a P-TTL set yet... I went with iShoot series and got them for Nikon - just because they will be easier to resell later... they are fine wireless triggers never had an issue with them... I personally can't use it over 1/125 or 1/160 speeds... so usually not what I want to do... unless it's a highKey style shoot...

All these systems work indoors and outdoors... but I found one thing lacking... power... I have since switched to Strobes... which is a whole different issue all together...

I hope this helps you out a little...

Tony C.

09-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #23

Radobojski, the YN 540 IV and III are basically generic flashes that will work on a Pentax, Canon, Nikon, and others except the Sony because of the non-standard hot shoe on many Sony cameras. For triggering these YN flashes, the most versatile option with Pentax is the YN 540 TX radio trigger. With the 540 TX mounted on your camera, you can use it to adjust the power level and zoom setting of these two flashes without going over to where the flash is located to make these same adjustments. The Nikon version of the YN 540 TX is the one to get as it will allow you to wake up a sleeping YN 540 IV or III flash by half pressing the shutter release on the camera. Other than that, I don't believe their is a difference between the Canon or Nikon version of the 540 TX. Alternatively, you can use YN 602 or 603 radio triggers for firing the IV or III, but they don't allow for adjusting the zoom or flash power from the camera position. Here again you want the N or Nikon version of the triggers for the wake-up feature.

The YN 540 III and IV also have S1 and S2 slave functions that allows them to be triggered optically when used off camera by using a camera's pop-up flash, or in the case of the K-3II when another flash is mounted in it's hotshoe, Wherever you place the III or IV, they must be able to see the triggering flash from the camera. And, a flash coming from someone else's camera could trigger your III or IV. In S1 mode, the III/IV flashes on the first flash it sees. In S2 mode, the III/IV flashes on the second flash it sees, ignoring the P-TTL pre-flash.
09-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #24
Brooke Meyer

Have posted about this here previously:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/300922-y...ml#post3330617

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/299804-help-b...ml#post3314822

---------- Post added 09-11-15 at 10:35 PM ----------

I wish "beginners" didn't rely on P mode or P-TTL. It really gets in the way of learning a few simple principles. It makes something simple and well understood, needlessly complex. Its not rocket surgery.
09-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Radobojski Quote
Thanks for explanations. Yongnuo YN 560 IV model is interesting because of technical specifications and price. I was thinking about triggering flash because I would not want use flash only on hotshoe .
Regards
Yes, I would recommend the YN560 if you're doing studio or portrait stuff, stuff that gives you time to adjust your lights, etc. Instead of event photography where lighting conditions might be always changing and risk missing a shot when you're messing around with the flash settings. What I have right now is the 560IV. I also picked up a set of the RF603's.

Note, there are 2 "models" of the RF603's. The RF603N (Nikon) and the RF603C (Canon). The trigger themselves are the same and will work on all cameras with a hot shoe. The only difference is that the supplied PC sync cable is different, I don't use it so it's not important to me. You also only need 1 RF603 but they come in packages of 2 for $30. The YN560 III and IV both have built in receivers.