Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Help me choose

I am new to off camera flash and need to order a flash modifier to use at a wedding on Sept. 5th. I'm going to use a cactus v6 and RF-60 flash. I also have a Pentax 360. It's a small informal wedding in a glass chapel (windows all the way around). There are just too many choices. I don't want to have to order a million different items before I find the right one.

08-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I use the Gary Fong Lightspheres. There are a variety of kits with various colour options. Its great for producing a 'lightbulb' type illumination as the bulk goes upwards, and you can angle it to hit a ceiling, or partly bounce off a wall and ceiling ... plus the sides allow some direct front-fill through and some surround light, so you get catchlights and a wrap-around sort of result .... LightsphereŽ Universal Pro Kit - Featured Products
08-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I do have a lightsphere and a flash bracket but I was thinking of some kind of softboxes or umbrellas. I've never used them so I know nothing about them.
08-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I was thinking for a wedding you wanted to light up a larger are or brighten a room for group shots. The softbox is really only for portraits in a tight area. Umbrella will spill light further, but both choices need time and care to get right, so really more for formal posing type situations. The Lightsheres will give you instant 'easy' light and you can move around shooting with them set to manual and get even constant lighting even as you zoom in and out and cover the room ....

08-24-2015, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveo Quote
Thanks. I do have a lightsphere and a flash bracket but I was thinking of some kind of softboxes or umbrellas. I've never used them so I know nothing about them.
Unless you've a lot of time to learn about light properties and ratios and practice in the next 12 days, I'd skip it. You might consider this which is something I always use in event coverage The Black Foamie Thing . Also a great, free site to learn about both on camera and off camera flash.

Shooting events, I walk around with a wide lens on one body and a longer on the other, each with a flash and the black foamie thing. Works well even with tall ceilings, as the light is flagged forward and all bounce.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 08-24-2015 at 03:59 PM.