Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Metz 58 AF-1 Error Message

Just wondering if anyone has input on a Metz 58 AF-1 with a "Zoom Error" message. The flash won't fire at all, either on or off the camera. I tried to reset the flash and the firmware without any good results.

Not sure if anyone has any ideas. I'll probably pitch it if they don't, because it is old enough it isn't worth repairing.

08-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just wondering if anyone has input on a Metz 58 AF-1 with a "Zoom Error" message. The flash won't fire at all, either on or off the camera. I tried to reset the flash and the firmware without any good results.

Not sure if anyone has any ideas. I'll probably pitch it if they don't, because it is old enough it isn't worth repairing.
Hello,
My flash that was still under warranty did the same thing. The note I got back with the repaired unit was that it was cleaned and re-aligned. It worked great for 2 yrs, and then would not fire, this time because of some capacitor problem, it would have costed $150 with shipping. They just don't make flashes like they used to!
08-31-2015, 02:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I looked a little bit more and I think the issue is that the flash is stuck in a zoomed position, but certainly something beyond my ability to fix...
09-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I looked a little bit more and I think the issue is that the flash is stuck in a zoomed position, but certainly something beyond my ability to fix...
If it like the Pentax's and your really going to chuck it.

Can you hear the zomm motor trying to move .? if so .....

A good thwack on the head side may jump the gears back into alignment,

Had to do that with my 360's after the attentions of the postal service

Thats the flash head not yours

09-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you are going to ditch it, you may first try Awaldram's suggestion and may even want to open up the head to see whether you can make the sliding part unstuck.

Be extremely carefully though if you attempt this, as the head usually contains the capacitor which may hold a lethal charge if not properly discharged.
09-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you are going to ditch it, you may first try Awaldram's suggestion and may even want to open up the head to see whether you can make the sliding part unstuck.

Be extremely carefully though if you attempt this, as the head usually contains the capacitor which may hold a lethal charge if not properly discharged.
I think I'll list in the marketplace for a pittance and let someone else try it. I'm not great at fixing these sorts of things.
04-07-2021, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Late reply, actually some 6 years late to be precise. Just to let you know you guys saved my @ss! I had the dreaded "Zoom error" message and the flash stopped functioning entirely. Also the batteries were drained in like 5 minutes because of the motor constantly wiggling the head trying to dislodge/move it. Turns out the flashhead was stuck because one of the shallow transparent side brackets of the front reflector was actually broken and had wedged itself in between the internal flash-head and the side.

I managed to take the front reflector off and of course the white card and wide reflector came apart as well as two smaller side reflectors. I then very carefully pried the broken sliver of plastic out. Of course the front reflector doesn't really stay put anymore with only one side bracket in place but the flash actually works and zooms again. I'll try to get a replacement front reflector but otherwise I'll fit a Stofen diffusor over the bare head and use it for macro only.

So a big thanks!!!