Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

AF360AFG II Manual Mode

The flash Instructions Manual said, that when the flash mounted on a camera the flash Manual Mode is available only when the camera is set to M (Manual Exposure).
However, when the camera set to any other exposure mode Tav, Av, Tv, Sv or P the flash is automatically reseted to P-TTL Mode at the half pressed shutter button.

It does not happened, when the flash used off camera in the Wireless Mode. In wireless mode the flash M mode can be used with any Exposure Mode set on the camera.

My question related to the flash mounted on the camera with Flash Mode M:

Q1) Is there a way to use the flash set to M Mode with the other Exposure modes set on the camera besides the M Exposure mode?
Q2) Is a fully manual flash like Yonguno may be used in its M mode with any Exposure Mode set on the camera?
Leo

Pentax K-30, Flash AF360FGZ II plus few less,

09-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You're right about the on-camera mode operating ...manual must be matched to manual on the Pentax dedicated system flashes.

Is there any specific reason you want automatic ambient exposure when using manual flash exposure? If you are concerned about metering in manual camera mode, then you can get a meter-centre exposure by pressing the green button, then just adjust any parameter you want to set the brightness.

I don't know about Yongnuo etc, although they may lack the data exchange that carries out the mode reset, so they may allow it .....?

---------- Post added 09-20-15 at 10:50 AM ----------

I had a look back into my guide, and this particular point is not well spelled out directly, so I will clarify it in the next edition. What it does cover in the modes sections is more in principle, not specially about hotshoe mounted Pentax units in those configurations.

If you don't have a copy then grab it, for although it wasn't very helpful for your specific issue there is a manual mode workflow description within the Range and Distance Indicator section, which aims to give a practical and flexible working solution to managing exposures in manual. This is on page 33 of the current guide.
09-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nucleon Quote
Q2) Is a fully manual flash like Yonguno may be used in its M mode with any Exposure Mode set on the camera?
Yes, of course.
09-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
You're right about the on-camera mode operating ...manual must be matched to manual on the Pentax dedicated system flashes.

Is there any specific reason you want automatic ambient exposure when using manual flash exposure? If you are concerned about metering in manual camera mode, then you can get a meter-centre exposure by pressing the green button, then just adjust any parameter you want to set the brightness.

I don't know about Yongnuo etc, although they may lack the data exchange that carries out the mode reset, so they may allow it .....?

I had a look back into my guide, and this particular point is not well spelled out directly, so I will clarify it in the next edition. What it does cover in the modes sections is more in principle, not specially about hotshoe mounted Pentax units in those configurations.

If you don't have a copy then grab it, for although it wasn't very helpful for your specific issue there is a manual mode workflow description within the Range and Distance Indicator section, which aims to give a practical and flexible working solution to managing exposures in manual. This is on page 33 of the current guide.
Thank you for the help: GREEN Button is the answer!!! I was worried about setting the camera exposure in the M mode. When the exposure is set using Green button, then the balance between the camera exposure can be achieved by using compensation. I have never used Green Button.
Leo

---------- Post added 09-20-15 at 10:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yes, of course.
mcgregni advice to use Green Button will do it. I am thinking to get Younguno as the second flash.
Thank you for reply.
Leo

09-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I am thinking to get Younguno as the second flash.
Consider getting a model (from any brand) that supports TTL, not in order to use it for automatic exposure, but to enable remote power level control.

The Cactus V6 system supports many flash models from different systems (including your AF 360 FGZ II) for manual remote power level control, but it needs more than a fully manual flash for that. Some classic models support the necessary TTL, are still good work horses, and can be found for little money. The Yongnuo YN568EX II (for Canon) is also supported, but if you are buying a new flash you may also want to look at the Cactus RF60.
09-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Consider getting a model (from any brand) that supports TTL, not in order to use it for automatic exposure, but to enable remote power level control.

The Cactus V6 system supports many flash models from different systems (including your AF 360 FGZ II) for manual remote power level control, but it needs more than a fully manual flash for that. Some classic models support the necessary TTL, are still good work horses, and can be found for little money. The Yongnuo YN568EX II (for Canon) is also supported, but if you are buying a new flash you may also want to look at the Cactus RF60.
Thank you for advice. I am planning the second flash.
Today I was trying to use my AF360afg II in manual mode at an outside event. As it was a hot day (over 100F) I was turning off the camera and the flash. I have not realized at the beginning that tuning OFF the flash power resets it to default and the flash should be set again after it powered up. Are all manual flashes, like Youngnuo, behave in s similar manner and should be set again after cycling their power?
Leo
09-21-2015, 04:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Are all manual flashes, like Youngnuo, behave in s similar manner and should be set again after cycling their power?
I never used a Yongnuo, but I know that the Cactus RF60 retains all settings, even you shut it down and power it up again.
09-21-2015, 05:52 AM   #8

The Yongnuo 540 IV retains settings except for the zoom angle. When you turn it off and then back on, it resets the flash head zoom to 35mm, while the power level and mode remain the same. For example, if you're using the 540 IV off camera in S2 mode (where it fires on the second flash it sees, ignoring the P-TTL pre-flash from the camera) at 1/16 power and 70mm flash head zoom and then shut it off, when powered back up it would still be in S2 mode at 1/16 power, but the flash head would be reset to 35mm.

09-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you fir the info. I will spend the coming weekend using AF360 in different mode and will be trying to find a use for different modes. Often, I think, the P-TTL is a very useful mode, however, did not have time to use it. :-)
Leo
09-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote

Need help. Pentax AF360fgz II + K-30 + DA lens

How to make my flash in P-TTL to display flash range scale?
Leo
09-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Need help. Pentax AF360fgz II + K-30 + DA lens

How to make my flash in P-TTL to display flash range scale?
Leo
ANSWERED.
I have read that flash should be pointed -10 degrees. I have point the flash to the lowest. Nothing was displayed. By accident, moved flash one small match up and the scale was displayed.
Leo
09-24-2015, 02:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

yes, that can happen easily. The lowest head position, which you move to by pressing the side button, is for very close subjects. However, in terms of the distance indications it is classed same as a 'bounce' position, so you lose the distance readout. The 'straight ahead' position, which does allow distance display, is the 'click-locked' one and it is held there until you press the side button to move the head.

I hope you are enjoying some manual flash working with the distance indications !

Regarding your earlier points about the flash forgetting its settings after power off ..... perhaps you don't really need to turn it off? You'll be using minimal battery power while it waits to fire again, and no heat is generated. The default setting is for the 'power save' function to operate after 3 minutes (this means the flash goes to 'sleep'). in this state a press of the shutter button, AF button or any flash panel controls will instantly wake up the flash with all the settings remembered.
09-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Today I have used AF360 in Manual Mode on my Olympus M10, as was on a mission walk a very hilly park.

The flash worked just fine. The annoying part was flash resetting after each power off ... I was saving batteries :-) I am carrying an extra set of AA, however the batteries are lasting and lasting. The next, I will install a new AA set and try not to turning the flash off for the entire walk counting the walk time and the number of flashes. Then repeat this procedure until batteries fail and post the data. Also, will keep the flash power at its max. Thank you for the comment!

I was debating if I should return/replace AF360 with a fully manual flash and decided against it as P-TTl mode is very handy with good results.
Leo