Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2015, 01:06 AM   #1

Metz mecablitz 64, 52 or Pentax 540FGZ II

Which of these flashes is better?

First thing that I'm looking for is fastest recycle time with Eneloops. But it's interesting what pros and cons have these flashes in comparison. For me Metz' touchscreen is drawback. Overall power is not important if it doesn't affect on recycle time.

Please help me to choose a flash unit to buy.

09-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would you consider the AF540FGZ (original) it takes an external battery pack which can improve the cycle times?

One thing that is difficult is comparing recycle times across flashes - the output power needed for that series of shots is relevant and a half power vs 1/4 power makes a huge difference.

Can you use multiple flashes effectively cutting down the output required per cycle per flash?
09-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ArtyPF Quote
For me Metz' touchscreen is drawback.
For me it's not black and white, but I like it better. I used a Sigma 530, Pentax 540 (v1) before settling on the Metz 52.

If you use PTTL all the time, then screen vs buttons is a non-issue. If you do fiddle with a lot of controls, the screen quickly becomes more convenient.

Metz 52 AF-1 Flash Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteOriginally posted by ArtyPF Quote
First thing that I'm looking for is fastest recycle time with Eneloops.
If THAT is your main requirment, check if you can live with a manual flash. If so, get a Godox v850, they have the fastest recycle time available, by a large margin.

Godox Ving V850 System Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
09-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If THAT is your main requirment, check if you can live with a manual flash. If so, get a Godox v850, they have the fastest recycle time available, by a large margin.]
The V850 is twice as fast as other comparable flashes, a difference that can be equalised by using an external power pack, or two flashes instead of one.

The V850 has the advantage of offering the fast recycling with less bulk and much less battery handling, but one should make sure to source it from a reputable place to ensure one will be able to exchange the proprietary battery, in case it dies early. The latter has happened to a very large numbers of users and I've never read confirmation that the quality improvements Godox responded with have actually fully addressed the problem.

09-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
but one should make sure to source it from a reputable place to ensure one will be able to exchange the proprietary battery, in case it dies early. The latter has happened to a very large numbers of users and I've never read confirmation that the quality improvements Godox responded with have actually fully addressed the problem.
I had one (out of three) fail on me. Contacted the Amazon seller, got a new one under a week Even in Canada.