Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2015, 04:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
AF-360FGZ in wireless mode

Hi
trying to use the AF 360 with my K3 in wireless mode. I followed the steps in the flash manual + camera manual over and over again and I guess I am missing something I can see the flash fires but the picture has no flash lighting inside - looks like the flash is out of sync with the camera .
the scenario I want yo use is the AF 360 on a tripod sideways from my model/object .
The only time I can see the "beam" in the frame is when I put the AF 360 on leading and the camera internal flash on trailing +/-0 .
any idea ?

Thanks

Last edited by Ofer Hadas; 09-30-2015 at 04:32 AM. Reason: adding leading trailing info
09-30-2015, 04:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is the flash set to mode 2 ?
09-30-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
internal set to wireless (in K-3 I didn't see the option to switch internal off in wireless) the AF360 is set to wireless (mid point in the power switch) and slave in the lower switch
09-30-2015, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ofer Hadas Quote
internal set to wireless (in K-3 I didn't see the option to switch internal off in wireless) the AF360 is set to wireless (mid point in the power switch) and slave in the lower switch
If you press the "light" button on the flash for about two seconds, it will show you if the flash is set to SLAVE1 or SLAVE2. It should be set on SLAVE1 to work properly with the K-3. The flash will not synchronize properly if set on SLAVE2.

09-30-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow ! this is great Thank You. Since I've used it with the K5 I guess I set it to Slave 2.
Any advice how to set the 2 flash combination (internal and external) so the light from the build-in will be very low and will have small effect on the frame ?
again thanks !!
09-30-2015, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Wow ! this is great Thank You. Since I've used it with the K5 I guess I set it to Slave 2.
Any advice how to set the 2 flash combination (internal and external) so the light from the build-in will be very low and will have small effect on the frame ?
again thanks !!
You can select Master or Controller on the K3 to control whether the internal flash adds to the scene or simply controls. This is from the four way button, down, then all the way to the right. It still flashes to trigger the slave. If that is still a problem some have used a flash modifier of some sort to lessen the effect even more.
09-30-2015, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

again thanks !!
There's an option in the menus to set the internal flash in controller mode when used wireless. I can't tell you exactly where it is on the K-3 since I'm not familiar with its menu system. When set to controller mode, the internal flash will not contribute meaningfuly to exposure. However, its catchlight might be visible on reflective surface, most notably in the eyes. But it's usually easily corrected in PP.

09-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the attention and help. Played with the distance of the AF360 and camera from the object -to get the proper settings - and true both your advise helped!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-30-2015, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Good to see things working for you now. The built-in flash 'master/control' function selection has been brought into the camera flash mode screen on the K3, and is no longer in the custom menu ....much more intuitive I think.

If using an accessory flash on the hotshoe, then its 'master/control/ function is set on the flashgun itself.
09-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you Nigel . That's impressive book and very helpful. Already DL the PDF version and start reading it !!
09-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hope it is helpful. As we've seen here on this thread there is so much experience and knowledge right here ... I've certainly gained from it a lot, and I have learned plenty from others here that is helping as I put together the 2nd edition of the Guide ... Plenty of new stuff, clarifications and corrections. There's always more we can all learn! Keep an eye out this next month ....
10-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #12

same question... but for the k3ii? does anyone know how to make this flash work with the k3ii? for the life of me can't make it work. I'm sure its something simple...
10-11-2015, 01:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

With no built-in flash the K3II needs either an extra dedicated system flashgun in its hotshoe, or the use of an alternative radio trigger device and receiver on the slave flash, in order to trigger wireless flashes.

As said above, the dedicated flash on the camera can be set to either 'master' or 'control' mode, depending on whether you want it to only perform the triggering function, or you want it to light your scene as well.