Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #1

HSS triggers for k3 and k5

Can anyone tell me of a HSS trigger for Pentax beside the Aokatec trigger.

I have heard that the Godox Cells II 1/8000 433MHz Wireless HSS Flash Trigger Transceiver for Canon, also works for the Pentax , can anyone confirm , I Just need a HSS trigger

I own a Pentax k5 and k3 A Pentax 360 fgz II and a Metz 44-AF-1, Metz 50-AF-1 I am looking for a trigger with HSS capabilities , can you assist pls

Sunil Sookhoo

09-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out other thread about the Acon R930. Seems to work quite well based on that thread.

Howie Be
09-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks a lot
10-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sunilsookhoo Quote
I have heard that the Godox Cells II 1/8000 433MHz Wireless HSS Flash Trigger Transceiver for Canon, also works for the Pentax , can anyone confirm , I Just need a HSS trigger
With a Godox trigger you can only trigger up to the sync-speed; HSS won't work.

The Cactus V6 does not support native HSS either, but offers a couple of workarounds for achieving HSS.

The Acon triggers are currently the only option neither requiring a workaround nor needing HSS flashes (as the Aokatec triggers do).

11-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
With a Godox trigger you can only trigger up to the sync-speed; HSS won't work.

The Cactus V6 does not support native HSS either, but offers a couple of workarounds for achieving HSS.

The Acon triggers are currently the only option neither requiring a workaround nor needing HSS flashes (as the Aokatec triggers do).
I wish I knew what 'workarounds' Cactus V6 had to offer. I shoot with a K5 and cannot seem to get my Cactus RF60 and V6 to work in HSS mode.
11-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photokaybrown Quote
I wish I knew what 'workarounds' Cactus V6 had to offer. I shoot with a K5 and cannot seem to get my Cactus RF60 and V6 to work in HSS mode.
Did you see the section about HSS in my RF60 review?

You may also want to read the section on optical triggering in the V6 review.
11-13-2015, 03:35 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Class A is your go-to guy on the Cactus, Kay.

11-13-2015, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

He sure is! The word about that V6 update for Pentax specifically sounds excellent .... Very frustrating that we don't get the same look-in as the Canikons. One day it would be nice to think we can leave behind the current state of affairs where you have to consider every system, workaround and compromises each time a decision arises about new equipment and what it's capable of.

We do get a lot of questions about 'HSS Mode' (ie triggering flashes beyond 180thsec .....I wonder what on earth everyone is shooting with it ? .....

Last edited by mcgregni; 11-13-2015 at 04:27 AM.
11-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #9

Cactus RF60 and V6 workaround

Thank you everyone for your replies and your links. I will check out the two links (and bookmark them) to find some answers. I am a complete newbie for flash, so bear with me. This is an extremely frustrating process, and I now know why so many amateur portrait photographers shoot in natural light only. I am going to play around with the RF60 and V6 tomorrow, and hopefully will find a solution without having to drop the whole HSS project and rely on my ND filters. I really want to learn this, guys, and I appreciate your help.

Thank you,
11-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
why so many amateur portrait photographers shoot in natural light only.
'Amateurs use natural light, pros use flashes'. 😀
11-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #11

Okay, here it goes. I don't have any HSS capable flashes, and I only have one RF60 and one V6. And given the information I've seen, I cannot achieve HSS flash with what I have. I am strictly low budget, I am not a paid photographer, but went to college majoring in photography where they never taught us about photography lighting. I was in college from 2009-2013, and despite being adept at natural light photography (mostly landscapes) and even photography (natural and stage lighting).

Being able to learn flash photography is something I really want to accomplish, but I cannot afford a lot of gear. The only flash units I have are a cheap Rokinon D980AFZ-PK and the Cactus RF60. I cannot use the V6 with my Rokinon flash. The Rokinon will work if I use the pop-up flash on my camera as a master / commander and the Rokinon as a slave, but I hate using the pop-up flash for anything. So, going back to the Cactus Duo, I just received it, learning how to use it, and was hoping both would provide me a way of doing HSS. But I guess I should be lucky that they work with my camera at all.

Thank you,

Kay
11-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

And given the information I've seen, I cannot achieve HSS flash with what I have.
True, you'd need two more V6 and a shutter release cable, or alternatively, one HSS-capable flash to get pre-sync timing from a Pentax camera.

Without Pentax's annoying disabling of a trigger signal beyond the sync-speed, you could at least go up to about 1/2000s with what you've got already. Only even faster speeds truly require a pre-sync signal.

I cannot use the V6 with my Rokinon flash.
You could, if you got a V6 receiver for the flash.

Since the Rokinon flash supports TTL (and supports manual levels, right?), chances are that you could even remote control the power of the flash (not just trigger it). You can use your one V6 and try to create a flash profile for your Rokinon flash. If that works, you'd only need another V6 so that you have a trigger / receiver pair.
11-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #13

Cactus RF60 and V6 workaround

.Thank you, Class A, for having patience with me and helping me out with this confusing situation.

"Without Pentax's annoying disabling of a trigger signal beyond the sync-speed, you could at least go up to about 1/2000s with what you've got already. Only even faster speeds truly require a pre-sync signal."

Wait, wait, wait...lol...I could get up to 1/2000 of a second with what I already have? Seriously? That would be nice! I am just aiming for something over 1/180th right now. It would be a miracle if I could get past that. Okay, despite all the online resources I've been reading and taking notes, I still wouldn't know how to get a sync speed past 1/180th sec. Do I just turn off the TTL on the V6? ARRGGHHHH!!! This is confusing and frustrating. Please bear with me. This is all new and foreign to me. I've read articles regarding having multiple V6 units and / or multiple RF60s and / or an HSS enabled flash, but I could not find anything regarding using a single RF60 and a single V6 together to get the HSS going. I need to know specific settings for each. Damn Pentax for being such a pain. :-(

---------- Post added 11-13-15 at 10:24 PM ----------

Maybe I should just invest in a few more V6 units. But that will have to wait until December or January.

---------- Post added 11-13-15 at 10:30 PM ----------

True, you'd need two more V6 and a shutter release cable, or alternatively, one HSS-capable flash to get pre-sync timing from a Pentax camera.

Without Pentax's annoying disabling of a trigger signal beyond the sync-speed, you could at least go up to about 1/2000s with what you've got already. Only even faster speeds truly require a pre-sync signal.

Since the Rokinon flash supports TTL (and supports manual levels, right?), chances are that you could even remote control the power of the flash (not just trigger it). You can use your one V6 and try to create a flash profile for your Rokinon flash. If that works, you'd only need another V6 so that you have a trigger / receiver pair.
My Rokinon supports TTL, but the only flash profiles on the V6 are for all the big names, and then there's MANUAL. Nothing about Rokinon or any other third-party flashes.

---------- Post added 11-13-15 at 11:05 PM ----------

I just popped the Rokinon flash on top of the V6 and tried to get the V6 to recognize it. It doesn't. I can put the Rokinon flash in TTL mode and in Manual mode and go through the menu on the V6, but it isn't recognized. Back to Square 1.
11-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

My Rokinon supports TTL, but the only flash profiles on the V6 are for all the big names, and then there's MANUAL. Nothing about Rokinon or any other third-party flashes.
You can create your own flash profile. The V6 has a learning mode. Check out the V6 manual.

Maybe I should just invest in a few more V6 units.
That would allow you to trigger (and perhaps remote control) your Rokinon flash and use the remote camera triggering approach to get a workaround for HSS.

Wait, wait, wait...lol...I could get up to 1/2000 of a second with what I already have?
No, unfortunately, you cannot. That's why I wrote "Without Pentax's annoying disabling of a trigger signal beyond the sync-speed, you could ...".

For shutter speeds above 1/180s on a Pentax, you have to work around the lack of a trigger signal. The two methods I pointed you to, are the only ones I'm aware of.

There is one trigger, the Acon R930 that can do P-TTL and hence HSS natively, but personally I wouldn't go there, as it does not provide good control over multiple off-camera flashes.

Cactus said they are working on a successor to the V6 which will lift the shutter speed limitation but have not indicated when it may be released. I'm not sure whether the successor will still support Pentax, but I think there is reason to believe that it will.
11-14-2015, 12:18 AM   #15

You can create your own flash profile. The V6 has a learning mode. Check out the V6 manual.

That would allow you to trigger (and perhaps remote control) your Rokinon flash and use the remote camera triggering approach to get a workaround for HSS.

No, unfortunately, you cannot. That's why I wrote "Without Pentax's annoying disabling of a trigger signal beyond the sync-speed, you could ...".

For shutter speeds above 1/180s on a Pentax, you have to work around the lack of a trigger signal. The two methods I pointed you to, are the only ones I'm aware of.

There is one trigger, the Acon R930 that can do P-TTL and hence HSS natively, but personally I wouldn't go there, as it does not provide good control over multiple off-camera flashes.

Cactus said they are working on a successor to the V6 which will lift the shutter speed limitation but have not indicated when it may be released. I'm not sure whether the successor will still support Pentax, but I think there is reason to believe that it will.
Good news! I did read my V6 manual in Section 10 and followed instructions. The cheap little Rokinon flash will work with my Cactus V6 now. I'm going to have to tweak it a bit more tomorrow, but at least I got them to work together. I guess that confirms that I'll have to buy at least one more V6 and an HSS enabled flash. But fortunately, I can probably buy a used HSS enabled flash. Like I said, low budget.

Thanks again, and again, and a million times over.

Kay