Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HELP am I stupid? Bowens Gemini 500W/s R Pulsar Monolight Kit

I rented the Bowens Gemini 500W/s R Pulsar Kit

SO I rented this from here Bowens Gemini 500W/s R Pulsar Monolight Kit does anyone use this kit with ther Pentax K5?

I can get the lights all on - the Pulsar radio triggers is my question and for whatever reason the internet is not helping me. (PS trying to take office picture tomorrow)

I put in the card in one of the lights and the antenna on the other unit. I can get one light to fire from my camera no problem. Shouldn't they both fire?

Or is it only designed to fire one and the little antenna is not for the other unit? I have a feeling I am missing something stupid.

HELO!!

10-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I rented the Bowens Gemini 500W/s R Pulsar Kit

SO I rented this from here Bowens Gemini 500W/s R Pulsar Monolight Kit does anyone use this kit with ther Pentax K5?

I can get the lights all on - the Pulsar radio triggers is my question and for whatever reason the internet is not helping me. (PS trying to take office picture tomorrow)

I put in the card in one of the lights and the antenna on the other unit. I can get one light to fire from my camera no problem. Shouldn't they both fire?

Or is it only designed to fire one and the little antenna is not for the other unit? I have a feeling I am missing something stupid.

HELO!!
Not entirely sure what you are doing. But, you need the transmitter in your hotshoe on the camera and the receiver with antennae plugged in to the monolight.

The second light needs its own receiver and antennae as well, if you want to set the power from the transmitter. Or you can just set it to slave mode and set the power yourself on the moonlight (which is what most people would do).
10-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Not entirely sure what you are doing. But, you need the transmitter in your hotshoe on the camera and the receiver with antennae plugged in to the monolight.

The second light needs its own receiver and antennae as well, if you want to set the power from the transmitter. Or you can just set it to slave mode and set the power yourself on the moonlight (which is what most people would do).
hmmm - I think I am eating crow - I think you could be correct and it is only for one light. Oddly I got both to flash at least 3 times but turned it off and now can only get one. Guess will have to make due with what I have. Simple head shots is my goal but would have preferred to use two lights
10-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
set it to slave mode
Set the light without the trigger to slave mode and it will fire when the other fires.

10-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Set the light without the trigger to slave mode and it will fire when the other fires.
how do you do that?
10-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Originally posted by mdave13 Quote
how do you do that?
You need to turn on the photocell on the flash that does NOT have the radio trigger. RTM
Page 9 of user guide. Here is a link to guide: http://www.bowensdirect.com/downloads/dl/file/id/101/gemini_r_and_pro_user_guide.pdf
10-08-2015, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Both Mono heads should have a Sensor in them that detects flash and automaticaly fires, the Gemini range has a rocker switch on the back for turning this function on it is marked "cell", check the sensor window its the red square above the rear switches at the back make shure this is not dirty or covered, you can if you wish suppliment the sensor in the Gemini by using a triger switch that plugs into the 1/4 jack socket at the rear, they look like a golf ball with a audio plug sticking out, if the flash is very directional the slave in the gemini might have trouble picking up the first flash, use a moulded microphone lead (standard audio plug to line socket, only 2 contacts one black line on the plug) from Tandy and use this to position the additional sensor switch where it will defiantly see the first.
10-08-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
Both Mono heads should have a Sensor in them that detects flash and automaticaly fires, the Gemini range has a rocker switch on the back for turning this function on it is marked "cell", check the sensor window its the red square above the rear switches at the back make shure this is not dirty or covered, you can if you wish suppliment the sensor in the Gemini by using a triger switch that plugs into the 1/4 jack socket at the rear, they look like a golf ball with a audio plug sticking out, if the flash is very directional the slave in the gemini might have trouble picking up the first flash, use a moulded microphone lead (standard audio plug to line socket, only 2 contacts one black line on the plug) from Tandy and use this to position the additional sensor switch where it will defiantly see the first.
YUP BINGO I knew I was just missing something stupid. YOU GUYS are the best - photo shoot went well.